You are going to love this tipsy mermaid drink recipe! It’s full of tropical flavors, has a beautiful aqua color, and the ombre look is almost mesmerizing. I know you are thinking that this beachy cocktail is probably hard to make because it’s so pretty, wrong! It comes together in a couple of seconds, and no mixology license needed.
If you are on TikTok you may have seen different versions of the tipsy mermaid rum punch, but I have made a few swaps that are going to knock your socks off!
As we are heading into summer, you may be like me and are dreaming about lake views and sandy beaches. Since it’s not time to vacay just yet, I guess you’ll find me on the patio mixing up my favorite drinks like the Jolly Rancher Vodka Cocktail and this fruity, boozy Starburst drink.
What is a Tipsy Mermaid drink?
It’s a rum punch that is typically made with a couple of types of rum and mixed with pineapple juice. The blue color comes from using Blue Curacao. While it’s low in alcohol volume, its main purpose is to provide that beautiful color. Some garnish with lime wheels while others may opt for a pineapple slice.
How to Make A Tipsy Mermaid
- Add a few ice cubes to a tall glass.
- Pour in the Midori, rum, and pineapple juice. Stir well.
- Hold a spoon with the backside facing up over the drink. Slowly pour the blue curacao over it so it goes down the side of the glass.
- Garnish with cherries and a slice of lime, and enjoy!
Please know if you use any of the variations below, that the color of the tipsy mermaid may vary and may not have the layered appearance that we love.
- Some like the taste of spiced rum better, which you could swap for the light rum. However, this may change the color of the cocktail.
- If you like a bubbly or carbonated beverage, you can use lemon-lime soda, White Claw Watermelon Seltzer (omit the Midori if using), or club soda to top the drinks off.
- Experiment by using lemonade instead of pineapple juice.
Fun Garnish Ideas
Rim the glasses: Place each glass rim in a shallow plate of water or swipe a wedge of lime around the edge, then dip it in coarse sugar or shredded coconut.
Umbrellas and Drink Toppers: Make the drinks more festive by adding cocktail umbrellas, drink toppers, or other decorations depending on the occasion.
Fruit Skewers: Using a longer toothpick, add cherries, pineapple chunks, or oranges and layer it across the rim before serving.
Making Tipsy Mermaids for a Crowd
Many want to make this cocktail recipe into a party punch to serve a large crowd at one time. You can definitely do this, but the drink will not have a layered or ombre look. Instead, all of the ingredients will be mixed together.
To make the punch, increase the quantities of ingredients for the number of servings you need. Follow the instructions, except place the rum mixture in a large punch bowl. Leave out the ice so it doesn’t get watered down. Instead, have an ice bucket nearby, so once guests pour their drink they can add ice themselves.
More Boozy Beverages You Have To Try:
- Summer Peach Sangria
- Orange Lemon Gin Cocktail
- Strawberry Sangria
- Classic Rum Mojito Recipe
- Caribbean Inspired Coconut Rum Cocktail
- Dirty Snowman (Boozy Hot Chocolate Float)
- 1 cup ice cubes or enough to fill glass
- 1 oz. Midori
- 1 oz. white rum
- 2 oz. pineapple juice
- 1 oz. Blue Curacao
- Lime slices and maraschino cherries for garnish optional
- Fill glass with ice.
- Add pineapple juice to the glass.
- Next, pour in the Midori, followed by the rum.
- Stir these first three ingredients well. Do not skip this step.
- Slowly pour the Blue Curacao over an upside down spoon to direct the blue liquor down the side of the glass. This step MUST be done AFTER the first three ingredients have been stirred well.
- Top with lime slices and maraschino cherries.