The Dirty Snowman cocktail is your go-to boozy hot chocolate beverage to enjoy during the cold weather or any special occasion. Think of hot chocolate floats on steroids and then you have a pretty good idea of what this boozy winter drink has to offer!
Use store-bought or your own hot cocoa and creamy liqueurs to pour over scoops of vanilla ice cream in glasses laced with a chocolatey syrup and chocolate sprinkled rims!
This version of an adult hot chocolate float can be modified by either increasing or decreasing the amount of alcohol used or by substituting the recipe liqueurs for those you prefer such as peppermint schnapps or hazelnut liqueur.
Don’t worry – the kids can easily enjoy the non-alcoholic version of these delicious adult Dirty Snowmen. Simply omit the alcohol and now you have a drink that any chocolate lover will adore!
Serve these dirty snowman winter cocktails as is or alongside a freshly baked batch of Double Chocolate Chip Cookies for a super decadent treat!
Table of contents
What is a Dirty Snowman Cocktail?
Dirty Snowmen offer a boozy twist to the classic hot chocolate float. It includes all the usual ingredients of a rich and creamy hot chocolate float but with the addition of Kahlua and creme de cacao to make a yummy cocktail.
A Dirty Snowman drink is the perfect adult version of an already rich hot cocoa beverage – perfect as a post-dinner or holiday treat that can be enjoyed through a straw or with a spoon.
You can top the Dirty Snowman with whipped cream and then add any extra garnish or toppings of your choice such as extra chocolate shavings, melted chocolate, chocolate sauce, or even chopped nuts like hazelnuts. We threw a few snowflake sprinkles on top as well, for extra winter fun!
Variations and Substitutions:
- Upgrade your Dirty Snowman drink with a higher alcohol content by simply increasing the various types of liquor used or make it less boozy by decreasing the quantity of liqueur.
- I’ve used Kahlua and dark creme de cacao liqueur to make these Dirty Snowmen but feel free to use your favorite or preferred liqueurs instead.
- For a non-boozy Dirty Snowman, simply omit the Kahlua and creme de cacao. This favorite new holiday drink will still be super delicious!
Of course, you can! To make these drinks without alcohol, simply omit the Kahlua and creme de cacao. The non-alcoholic version obviously won’t offer that boozy kick but it will still be a delicious treat that can be enjoyed by those not drinking or as a kid-friendly version while the adults enjoy their own version.
You have the option of decreasing the amount of alcohol used in this drink as well as increasing it for an extra kick depending on how boozy you want it. Here are the alcohol content levels of the two alcoholic ingredients added to this drink:
– The alcohol content of the creme de cocoa will vary according to the brand used but generally, it contains 20-25% ABV (Alcohol By Volume).
– Kahlua contains 20% ABV.
This dirty snowman recipe is best prepared just prior to serving since it contains ice cream.
If you need to make these a little bit in advance, then I suggest that you combine the hot chocolate and liquor ingredients and store it in your refrigerator in something like a mason jar tightly covered with plastic wrap. When ready to serve, simply assemble your Dirty Snowmen as directed above, adding the ice cream and pouring the stored ingredients over the ice cream.
Tips For Making Decadent Adult Dirty Snowman Drinks
- You are not limited to using the alcohol I’ve opted for in this hot cocktail recipe. Make it your own with your favorite liquors. Other liquors that would work well in this drink include rum, coconut rum, or Bailey’s cream. Chocolate vodka would also work.
- For an extra chocolatey drink, substitute chocolate ice cream for the vanilla ice cream the recipe calls for or use a combination of the two.
- Fair warning: This drink is pretty rich from all the ingredients. You will taste the liquor although it won’t be overpowering. Add more or less liquor depending on your preference. Luckily the hot chocolate and ice cream are heavy enough to support a stronger drink if you want to add extra alcohol.
- Make sure to select a quality hot chocolate for this drink. Something like the hot cocoa recipe on the Hershey’s cocoa powder container is perfect but you can also use something else equally good.
More Boozy Delights You’ll Love
- Caribbean Inspired Coconut Rum Cocktail
- Strawberry Sangria
- Homemade Eggnog
- Chocolate Kahlua Cake
- Bailey’s Chocolate Cheesecake Trifles
- 1 tablespoon chocolate syrup
- 1 tablespoon chocolate sprinkles
- 1 scoop vanilla ice cream ½ cup
- ¼ cup Kahlua
- 1 tablespoon dark creme de cacao liqueur
- 1 cup hot chocolate
- Whipped cream mini chocolate chips, coarse sanding sugar, and/or additional chocolate syrup and chocolate sprinkles for garnish
- Place chocolate syrup on a small plate. Turn glass upside down and dip the rim in the chocolate syrup.
- Next, dip the syrup-coated rim into a shallow tray of chocolate sprinkles until it is coated.
- Place one scoop of ice cream into the glass/mug.
- Add Kahlua and creme de cacao to the glass.
- Pour hot chocolate over the ice cream and liquor.
- Top with whipped cream and any garnish/toppings.
- Serve immediately.
- You could really mix things up and use your favorite liquors in this drink – rum, coconut rum, or Bailey’s would all be yummy. A chocolate vodka could also work.
- You could also substitute chocolate ice cream or use a combination.
- This is a pretty rich drink. The liquor taste is present, but not too overpowering; you could add more alcohol if you’d like – the hot chocolate and ice cream are heavy enough to support a stronger drink.
- Use a nice quality hot chocolate – I use the hot cocoa recipe on the Hershey’s cocoa powder container.
- Storage: This Dirty Snowman is best served immediately.
- Prepare drink just before serving. Hot chocolate and liquor amounts can be doubled, tripled, etc., and combined in advance, but pour over individual glasses with an ice cream scoop just before serving.
Make this recipe?
Share it with me on Instagram @girlinspired1 and follow on Pinterest for more!
Leave A Reply!