This Boozy Oreo Milkshake is a rich and boozy dessert that you won’t want to pass up on! Loaded with blended chocolate Oreo cookies, ice cream, creamy liqueurs, and vodka for a little extra kick – it’s a gourmet milkshake made specifically with the adults in mind!
If you enjoy a stronger version, simply increase the alcohol quantities called for in this boozy Oreo milkshake recipe. And for those who don’t drink, it’s as simple as leaving out the alcohol altogether as I did for my Oreo Milkshake recipe!
Whip up these addictive boozy shakes in just 10 minutes with minimal ingredients needed and a whole lot of satisfaction! For more boozy-inspired dessert drinks, don’t miss out on this Peanut Butter Whiskey and Root Beer Float or my Boozy Creamsicle Float.
What do I Need for this Recipe?
- Vanilla ice cream – Use your favorite vanilla ice cream. Cookies and Cream ice cream or chocolate ice cream can be used instead.
- Whole milk – Use low-fat milk for reduced calories.
- Oreo cookies – Plus several more for garnish
- Vodka – Use high-quality vodka. I enjoy Grey Goose or Tito’s. You can also experiment with other types of alcohol in this adult milkshake such as regular rum, coconut rum, Irish whiskey, or bourbon (for a bourbon milkshake).
- Crème de cacao
- Chocolate syrup – For garnish. Caramel sauce is also delicious!
- Whipped cream – For garnish. Use heavy cream for the whipped cream.
I’ve topped these boozy Oreo milkshakes with whipped cream, chocolate syrup, and whole Oreo cookies. Other topping ideas could include strawberries, shredded coconut, chopped marshmallows, or crumbled chocolate chip cookies.
Apart from a good blender, no special equipment is needed for making these spiked shakes!
Variations and Substitutions:
- Substitute Cookies and Cream ice cream, coffee ice cream, or chocolate ice cream in this boozy milkshake recipe. Strawberry ice cream is also great if you wanted to make a boozy strawberry milkshake instead!
- If you want to cut down on the richness of this milkshake, add 1 cup of ice to the ingredients.
- For a thinner milkshake that’s lower in calories, simply use milk that’s lower in fat content or frozen yogurt instead of ice cream.
- For a thicker milkshake, add 1 cup of ice to the ingredients or use less milk.
- Adapt this boozy Oreo milkshake according to specific holidays. For example, you could use 2 oz Bailey’s Irish Cream instead of the Crème de cacao and Kahlua to make a boozy shamrock shake!
- Decorate your boozy chocolate milkshake with confetti sprinkles for boozy confetti Oreo milkshake, chocolate sprinkle rimmed glasses, chocolate chips, crumbled Graham crackers, or any other garnishes of your choosing.
PREP: Chill two milkshake glasses in the freezer while making the milkshakes.
Step 1: Blend together ice cream, milk, 10 Oreo cookies, vodka, creme de cacao, and Kahlua.
Step 2: Drizzle chocolate syrup inside both glasses and pour the milkshake mixture into the glasses.
Step 3: Garnish the milkshakes with whipped cream, chocolate syrup drizzle, and whole Oreo cookies.
Step 4: Serve immediately!
PRO TIP: Chilling the milkshake glasses before serving the milkshakes will help to keep the milkshake mixture chilled for longer for the best taste and texture, but don’t leave them in the freezer for too long!
- If you love a thicker coating on the inside of your milkshake glass then try a hot fudge sauce which will provide a thicker drizzle than the chocolate syrup. A thicker chocolate sauce is also an option.
- 2 cups of ice cream are the equivalent of half of a standard half-gallon container that you’ll find in stores. You can use less ice cream if you prefer.
- Use a high-quality vodka for this spiked milkshake – it really does make a difference to the overall taste. Something like Grey Goose or Tito’s Handmade Vodka are both excellent options. Vanilla vodka would also be a delicious choice.
- Don’t place glasses that may be warm from recent washing into the freezer as they may break due to sudden temperature changes. Glasses that are already at room temperature are appropriate for freezer chilling.
- Serving your milkshakes in chilled glasses with help to hold up the ice cream for longer, improve the overall milkshake flavor and consistency, and give your gourmet milkshake that wow factor!
- Glasses can be chilled for 10-30 minutes. This includes normal tall drinking glasses or mason jars.
- Serve your milkshakes in normal tall drinking glasses or use mason jars with decorative paper straws for an added visual effect.
- If you enjoy a smoother spiked oreo milkshake then add your oreo cookies to your blender prior to adding the other ingredients and pulse till they’ve reached a finer consistency that is to your liking.
Boozy milkshakes can be traced back to the Prohibition Era in the United States. During this time, when alcohol was illegal, people would disguise their drinks by incorporating them into sweet, creamy milkshakes. This allowed them to enjoy their favorite alcoholic beverages without drawing too much attention to themselves. Nowadays, boozy milkshakes are a popular and fun way to enjoy a sweet treat while also getting a bit of a buzz.
This Spiked Milkshake With Oreos recipe should be served for immediate consumption otherwise you run the risk of your ice cream melting. It goes without saying that milkshakes don’t hold up well in storage so make sure that everyone’s ready to enjoy their spiked milkshakes as you finish assembling them!
These milkshakes can’t be made ahead of time either. You can prep your glasses for chilling and blend the Oreos if you are wanting a finer cookie consistency but other than that you’ll need to make them just prior to serving.
Yes, definitely! Just because you aren’t drinking alcohol doesn’t mean you have to miss out on a decadent oreo milkshake! To make a non-boozy version, simply omit the alcohol listed in the ingredient list above.
In fact, I’ve written up a non-alcoholic version for this very purpose. That way kids and adults who don’t drink can enjoy this gourmet milkshake too. Head on over to my Oreo Milkshake post for recipe tips and frequently asked questions.
Boozy Oreo Milkshake
- 2 cups vanilla ice cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 10 Oreo cookies plus several more for garnish
- 3-4 ounces vodka I like Grey Goose or Tito’s, about 2 shots
- 2 tablespoons Crème de cacao
- 3-4 ounces 2 shots Kahlua
- Chocolate syrup for garnish
- Whipped cream for garnish
- Place two tall milkshake glasses in the freezer to chill while making the milkshakes.
- Blend together ice cream, milk, 10 Oreo cookies, vodka, creme de cacao, and Kahlua.
- Drizzle chocolate syrup on the inside of each chilled glass and/or along the rim.
- Divide milkshake mixture between the two glasses.
- Top with whipped cream, more chocolate syrup, crushed Oreos, and/or a whole Oreo.
- Serve immediately.