Homemade Sweet Dinner Rolls

Homemade Dinner Rolls - these are the best!

I can say with complete confidence that these rolls are the most delicious rolls that will ever pass your lips.  Sweet, buttery, moist – there’s no comparison.  I started making these rolls about ten years ago, but have eaten them every single Thanksgiving since I was a little girl.  Some of my most vivid memories of Thanksgiving are of my granny sitting at her kitchen table, shaping balls of dough into rolls for our dinner.  My cousin and sister and I would try to sneak bits of dough to eat and Granny would playfully banish us from the room.  Everyone loved her rolls.  After Granny passed away, my aunt and mom took over bringing piles of rolls to our holiday gatherings, and now, even for our smaller family celebrations, someone always makes the rolls.  Yesterday, I was looking through a booklet that my grandma filled out about her life – I was actually trying (unsuccessfully) to scan in her picture to share – and I got caught up reading some of her entries.  I came across a page with commentary about family traditions and meals and, wouldn’t you know, my Granny wrote down her rolls as a favorite family tradition.  I love that!

Homemade Dinner Rolls - these are the best!

So, the rolls.  I make my roll dough in a bread maker.  Do you have one?  Bread makers really make the process easy, but you don’t have to use one.  It takes a little more work, but you can hand mix the dough instead.  I’ll provide instructions for both methods.

Homemade Dinner Rolls - these are the best!

Homemade Sweet Dinner Rolls

Roll Dough Recipe:

1 Cup sour milk (mix 1 C. 2% or whole milk with 1 Tablespoon of lemon juice and let sit for 5 minutes)
4 Tablespoons of softened butter (let it sit out for 20 minutes or so, do not microwave to soften)
1 egg
3 1/4 C. flour
1/3 C. sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 Tablespoon Rapid Rise active dry yeast

Breadmaker Instructions:  You simply dump in all of the ingredients in the order listed and start the dough cycle on the machine.  The machine mixes the dough and lets it rise.  After about an hour, the machine is done doing its work and it’s time to form the dough into rolls.

Handmixing Instructions:  Mix 1 teaspoon sugar, yeast, and 1/2 C. warm water and leave untouched for 5 minutes.  Reduce milk by 1/2 cup – warm until lukewarm, add lemon, and let sit.  After 5 minutes, stir the yeast mixture into the milk mixture and stir in a large bowl.  Add in egg and butter; stir well.  Combine remaining dry ingredients and gradually stir into the wet ingredients.  When about half of the dry ingredients have been stirred in, sprinkle flour on a work surface and dump the dough out of the bowl – it will be really sticky at this point.  Work the remaining flour mixture into the dough, kneading and turning the dough, and adding flour mixture until the dough is smooth and elastic.  Form the dough into a ball.  Grease a large clean bowl with butter and place the dough inside.  Flip it over once so all of the dough has some butter coating it.  Place a damp towel over the bowl and place it in a warm draft-free location to rise.  You can turn on your oven to its lowest setting for a couple minutes and place the dough bowl in there or just set it in a warmer part of the kitchen/house.  The dough will double in size over about an hour’s time.  Once it has risen, punch the dough down and you are ready to form the dough into rolls.

Forming the Dough into Rolls:  Grease an 9″ x 13″ glass casserole dish with butter.  Dab the tips of your fingers in some butter and pluck a golf ball size piece of dough from the bowl.  Form it into a smooth ball by wrapping the dough from the top and sides around and into the bottom center.  It’s kind of hard to explain, but you’re kneading the roll in your hands and forming a smooth top on the ball at the same time.  The dough can be a little sticky – be sure you regrease your fingers for every roll and work the dough just on your fingertips.  Place the roll into the pan.  I make 20 rolls for each batch of dough.  You may have to redistribute some of the dough to make evenly formed rolls to fill the pan – that’s fine.  Once your pan is full, place a dry towel over the top and place the pan in a warm, draft-free location to rise once again.  This takes about 1 to 1 1/2 hours.  When you can gently press your finger into the roll and the dough does not bounce back up, they’re ready to bake.

Baking the Rolls:  Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.  Remove the towel from the roll pan before baking.  Bake rolls for 12-15 minutes.  The rolls are done when the tops are deep golden brown and the bottoms of the rolls are mostly cooked.  When you’re baking in a clear glass pan, you can peek at the sides and bottom edges to see if there’s a little browning.  It can be hard to tell and you’ll likely need to bake a few batches to get a feel for the level of doneness you want.  I like my rolls just a little dough-y, but some people don’t.  Granny used to tap on the rolls in the oven to check for doneness; I do this, too, but I have no idea what I’m listening/feeling for, it’s just a gesture.  ha!

A Couple Notes:  A few things that I think make a significant difference in the outcome – 1.  milk with a higher fat content is preferable, 2.  use real butter, 3.  use a glass baking dish, 4. undercooked is better than overcooked.

Homemade Dinner Rolls - these are the best!

Do you think your Thanksgiving menu has room for these heavenly rolls this year?  I know I’ll be making up a batch or four and shuffling my girls out of the kitchen when they run by trying to snatch my dough right out of the pan.  What traditional dishes will you be cooking?

Today, I’m also sharing the instructions to make this great DIY Tealight Log over at Positively Splendid for Amy’s Swell Noel series – hop over and say hi!

DIY Tealight Log

You might also enjoy:

How to sew dinner napkins!

Dinner Napkin Sewing Tutorial

Autumn Acorn Napkin Rings - DIYAutumn Acorn Napkin Rings

Comments

These look delicious. I eat very little bread – but I think I will make an exception in this case and will try to make these over the holidays! Thank you for sharing!

2. Lea white says

These are indeed heavenly! Each holiday or family gathering Stefanie makes these and they are amazing! So light and fluffy and simply delicious!

I loved this trip down memory lane. Some of my most favorite memories were Thanksgivings at Grandmas, when we’d emerge from our “button play” for sneaking food. I’m so glad the tradition of Granny’s rolls is still going strong. I don’t remember her baking a lot, but I will never forget her in the kitchen making the Thanksgiving rolls, and her fruit roll pastries – remember those?

Hi GG,
      We eat the whole batch before we can even think about freezing them, but….I asked around and my aunt says she freezes them all the time, no problem. Cool them completely, then put them in a plastic freezer bag, seal, and freeze! They defrost just fine! Let me know how it goes!

• Kiki says

Hi…just found your website! :) If you were to freeze then, how would you suggest, after defrosting, how to heat them up again?

:) Kiki

Hi Kiki,

I would suggest defrosting them completely, then cover them with a light towel and microwave for just a short time (10 seconds for a single roll, maybe 30 seconds for a bowl full?) if you want to warm them. Personally, I lovity love them room temperature.

4. Melanie says

Hi,

I was just looking at the hand mix instructions and it states to mix with 1/2 cup of lukewarm water but I don’t see the water included in the list of ingredients. Do I still use the 1/2 cup of lukewarm water? Thanks!

Hi Melanie, Yes, you’ll want to use the water to get the yeast going – just reduce the listed quantity of milk by the equivalent – so use 1/2 C. water with the yeast and the teaspoon of sugar in the hand-mixed recipe and only use 1/2 C. of milk when you mix the milk in. Good question!

5. Christine Rodriguez says

Hi,

I’m a bit confused on the hand directions, cause It says 1 tsp sugar, yeast. 1/2 cup warm water and leave for 5 min. So is that 1 tsp yeast as well? Recipe calls for 1tsb of yeast?
    Also, it says: reduce milk by 1/2 cup?…add lemon and let sit? I’m understanding to do that first. It’s calling for a cup of sour milk. Can you try and clarify this for me?
    Thanks

Hi Christine, All of the ingredients are the same except you’ll replace 1/2 C. of the milk with 1/2 C. of water. You’ll take that 1/2 C. of water and mix it with the 1 Tbs. of yeast plus 1 tsp. sugar before doing anything else. Reduce the called for amount of milk to 1/2 C. and add lemon to make the sour milk – you’ll do this while your yeast mixture is bubbling up. When you do the mixing by hand, you have to treat the yeast differently. That’s why you mix the yeast with the water and a little sugar before you mix everything together. Once you have the water/yeast mixture and the sour milk ready to go, then you start mixing everything else together. I hope that makes more sense. I always use a breadmaker, but I did mix it up by hand so that I could give instructions for those who don’t have a breadmaker.

6. Debby Lovett says

Hi,
    I have another question about freezing. Can the dough be frozen before you bake the rolls? Maybe before the last rise? I would love to make these for Christmas but, I’m always so busy trying to get everything else done that I don’t have time to get the rolls made. It would be nice to be able to make them in advance and freeze them, then pull them out to defrost to rise for that last riser and bake at the last minute? I would appreciate your answer on this…I hope this can be done…the recipe sounds, delishous!
    Thank you…..
    Debby Lovett

Hi Debby! I’ve never tried it, but it’s always worth it to give it a try!! If I can test it out in the next couple weeks, I’ll let you know if it works. Good idea!

hi i’m goingto do these for c’mas..but a question..i am using my bread machine..and only have bread machine yeast..will that still work??..thx for your recipe..huggzz

8. Cheryl says

What a great roll recipe. So happy I found it on Pinterest. We just pulled out of the oven and most didn’t even make it till dinner. Thank you for sharing!!

9. Sally says

Made your rolls for Thanksgiving. They are being brought back by popular demand (unanimous) for Christmas Eve dinner! Thank you for the best rolls ever. Have a wonderful Christmas!!

10. Jenn says

So I’m on my second time making these and they aren’t getting done in the middle. I don’t mind a little doughy but they are hardly cooked at all by twelve minutes but the tops are very brown. I have them on the lower rack in the oven this time but can’t really tell a difference.

Hi Jenn, If you need them to cook longer and the tops are getting too brown, you can put a piece of tin foil over the top while they cook a bit longer.

11. Lekkie says

Hi there.
    I am making it now and I did 20 balls evenly! They are waiting to be baked in an hour or so. Wow! can’t wait to have the home smell heavenly :) I will take some photos to show my Facebook friends.
    Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful recipe.

12. Cala says

hi I just mixed these and now they’re rising by hand, but I had to add extra flour because it was so sticky. I’m wondering if I did something wrong with the recipe. I was confused because of the milk thing but read tge comments for further instruction

Hi Cala, I think that sometimes the weather/environment effects the consistency of the dough. I had a batch turn out extremely sticky over Christmas, even though I do everything the same every time. I also mixed in extra flour so that I could form the rolls – they were still good, but it did change the finished texture some. I would suggest trying them again on another day and see how they turn out!

13. TjNurse93 says

I keep forgetting to come back here to post a comment. But, I made the time today. I have made your rolls numerous times. The first few times I realized I had to adjust the cooking time, but this is my go-to recipe for dinner rolls. Just the right amount of sweetness and very tender. These are eaten up! I took them to work more than once for get togethers and again, they were gone! It is so nice for you to share your recipe with all of us. This is in my top 5 favorite breads to make, and definitely in my cookbook!
    Thanks!!

That is so nice to hear, thank you for taking the time to come back here and leave a comment!

14. Billie Sue Hanson says

Can you use a stand mixer with a dough hook? Also, do you use 1 tsp sugar in the yeast and 1/3 cup in the dry mixture?

Hi! I’ve never tried it with a stand mixer and dough hook, but I’m sure you could?? Yes, 1/3 C. sugar in the dry mixture and an additional tsp. sugar in the yeast mixture when you’re doing it by hand (or hook). ;)

15. Allison says

Excited to make these for dinner this afternoon! Just one quick question about the pan size: to my knowledge, 8.5″ X 11″ is a standard paper size, but I’m pretty sure I don’t have any pans that size. Do you happen to mean 9″ X 13″? Thanks!

I’ve never posted a comment so hope I do this right! Just had to say that I made these today, my first ever yeast dinner rolls because they always seemed so scary and complicated to make, even though I’m 64 yrs. old. New cooks–don’t be shy to try these as they’ll help make your cooking reputation! I had skim milk and oleo in the house so I used them, with spray Pam for the glass pan and my fingers. They came out perfectly and beyond delicious! I can’t imagine how much better they could be with the whole milk and butter, but will try them sometime when I have the ingredients. They turned out light and fluffy, perfectly formed and browned and now I’m sorry I only made 1/2 the recipe in case they didn’t turn out with the alternate ingredients because I’ve already eaten two hot out of the oven! Thank you so much to Stef here on Girl. Inspired. for sharing this special recipe! It will become part of my family’s favorites now too as soon as they taste them.