I love the taste of everything pumpkin. Whether it’s pie, muffins, ice cream, soup, or bread, I never tire of the taste and the cooler weather warrants the beginning of fall baking! Last year, I was completely intrigued by the two-ingredient muffin recipe taking my Pinterest gallery by storm. Requiring just a single can of pumpkin and a box of cake mix, I could have muffins in the oven in a matter of minutes. This year, I decided to apply the same principle to some easy donut-making. These two-ingredient pumpkin donuts are as simple as can be. I wouldn’t claim that they’re healthy; after all, one of the two ingredients is cake mix. But, they’re certainly tasty and healthier than a pile of fried donuts.
How to Make Pumpkin Donuts:
Wondering how to make pumpkin donuts at home? Well, let me tell you…..it couldn’t be easier.
Donut Pan: First of all, you’ll need a Donut Pan (affiliate link). You can also find them at some local retailers or you might even like this Mini Donut Pan because it’s so cute! Several manufacturers make them; mine are Wilton. They’re basically like a muffin tin, but with little peaks in the middle of the circle. You spray with Pam, add your batter, and pop them in the oven! It’s so easy.
Cake Mix: You can use yellow cake mix, white cake mix, chocolate or even spice cake mix to make delicious pumpkin donuts. You’ll need one box of cake mix and NONE of the other ingredients (like eggs, oil, water) that are listed on the box.
Pumpkin Puree: You’ll need one can of pumpkin puree. Similar to the applesauce in our chocolate donut recipe, the can of pumpkin provides all the moisture and pumpkin flavor that you’ll need to make these donuts.
Spices: Adding extra spice to this donut recipe is completely optional. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don’t. You could sprinkle in some pumpkin pie spice or add our favorite pumpkin flavors separately: cloves, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg would all be yummy options.
Toppings: These donuts are great as is – no topping necessary! But toppings are fun and can add flavor, too! You can drizzle vanilla or cream cheese frosting over the top. Sprinkle with powdered sugar for a super easy topping. A caramel drizzle is also a good idea!
Now, on to the recipe:
Love this easy recipe? You’re also going to want to check out our two ingredient CHOCOLATE baked donut recipe! And for more scrumptious pumpkin recipes, you HAVE to try our Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies, Pumpkin Apple Muffins, and Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls!
Pumpkin Donut Recipe
- 1 package yellow cake mix
- 1 15 oz. can pumpkin puree
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix the dry cake mix and can of pumpkin. You can add any additional flavorings that you like, but it's not necessary.
- For easy filling of the donut pan, scoop the batter into a piping bag and piped it into the greased donut pan. The batter is thick. You will want to fill each pan cavity 1/2 full.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes. Check for doneness by gently pressing your finger into the top of the donut. If the donut springs back to shape, they are done.
- Cool donuts completely before adding a caramel drizzle, frosting, sprinkles, and/or powdered sugar. Eat immediately.
- You can also store the plain donuts in an airtight container for up to 1 day, but do not add caramel or powdered sugar until you are ready to serve them.