Today’s Pumpkin Apple Muffins are moist and dense, with all of the wonderful flavors of the season – pumpkin, cinnamon, cloves, and apple! Muffins are one of my favorite fall treats – so good for a quick breakfast or alongside a salad or bowl of soup for lunch or dinner.
It’s time to bring on the pumpkin!! First thing on the menu is pumpkin apple muffins! I discovered the ease and satisfaction of two-ingredient pumpkin donuts a couple years ago, but this year I was eager to make a batter from scratch. The pumpkin patch that we used to go to every year sold the most delicious muffins and I worked hard to create a similar recipe to satisfy our cravings.
If you don’t care for pieces of fruit in your baked goods, simply omit the apples. I will say, though, that whether I made the batch with or without apples, there was not a single muffin left on the counter by bedtime. My kids, husband, neighbors, and I scarfed them down!
- Brown Sugar
- Vanilla Extract
- Greek Yogurt – yogurt adds moisture and density to the muffin batter, you can also use sour cream.
- Pumpkin Puree
- Baking Soda
- Cinnamon – you can’t really have pumpkin and apples without cinnamon, but you can also substitute some pumpkin spice seasoning for the cinnamon and the cloves
- Ground Cloves
- Golden delicious apple – use any good baking apple – Rome, Gala, or Golden Delicious will all work
How to Make Pumpkin Apple Muffins:
- We’ll start by creaming together the butter and sugar. Be sure the butter is room temperature so that it blends together with the sugar.
- Beat in vanilla extract, yogurt, pumpkin puree, and vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients – flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, and cloves.
- Gently stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, just until combined. It’s okay if there are some flour streaks in the batter. Do not overmix.
- Fold in apple pieces.
- Fill muffin cups, leaving room for the muffins to rise.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar. Bake for 20 minutes until a toothpick in the center of the muffin comes out clean.
Pumpkin Apple Muffins
- ¾ C. butter softened
- 2 C. brown sugar
- 1 ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- ⅓ C. plain Greek yogurt
- 1 can 15 oz. pumpkin puree
- 3 C. flour
- pinch of salt
- 1 ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. ground cloves
- 1 small Golden Delicious Apple chopped into ¼″ pieces
- cinnamon and sugar for sprinkling
- Cream butter and sugar together in a mixer.
- Add in pumpkin, eggs, yogurt, and vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, sift together flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, and cloves.
- Add dry ingredients to butter mixture, just until combined.
- Fold in apple pieces, if desired.
- Place ¼ cup of batter into cups of a paper-lined muffin tin.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until the center of each muffin is set.
Make this recipe?
Share it with me on Instagram @girlinspired1 and follow on Pinterest for more!
Leave A Reply!