Use this syringe jello shot recipe to take your next Halloween party to a whole new level! They set up like a traditional jello shot, but are a little more spooky and a fun way to serve. These unique jello shots combine cherry gelatin with vodka and flavored brandy to make a delicious shooter, but will definitely be the talk of the night and party guests will beg for more!
Halloween parties are one of my favorites to decorate and prep for! We typically go out all out with Halloween dinner party decor, and once even host a murder mystery themed party, which was awesome! We thought the syringes would be a fun way to jazz up the booze table this year, and I have to say I’m pretty excited!
We are also serving candy corn jello shots (they are the cutest), along with dipped candy apples for the kids, and bat cupcakes that are not so spooky! For our main course, we are going with more snacky foods like charcuterie cups, buffalo chicken fries, and our favorite popcorn chicken recipe.
Why You’ll Love This Vodka Jello Shot Syringe Recipe
- Super simple to make!
- The hardest part and really the only downside is waiting for them to set!
- Very versatile! When swapping the flavors, you can easily use this recipe for other occasions, including a boozy birthday party.
- They can be made ahead of time.
- Everyone loves them!
- These are the adult version, but you can omit the alcohol to make them kid friendly.
What Ingredients do I Need for the Syringe Jello Shots?
- cherry jello powder – if you don’t like cherry but want to keep the red jello, use strawberry jello instead. Grape jello also works well for flavor and you won’t need a ton of food coloring to deepen the color.
- boiling water
- cold water
- Cherry Brandy
- Black food coloring
You’ll also need plastic syringes. The bundle I bought came with jello shot cups too, if you want to use those for more Halloween shots. You can find the syringes I used right here. (aff)
Pro Tip: I like to boil the water in the microwave versus on the stovetop, it’s easier and faster!
How to Make the Best Jello Shot Syringe Recipe
PREP: In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the jello mix and a cup of boiling water until it dissolves. Stir in the cold water and add the vodka and cherry brandy. Add the black food coloring if you are using. Wash and dry the syringes.
MAKE THE JELLO SYRINGES: Stick the tip of the syringe into the liquid jello and pull back on the plunger to fill. Place the cap on and transfer them to a container so they are upright.
CHILL: Place the syringes in the fridge to chill for 2-3 or until they are set.
- This recipe makes 24 – 2 ounce jello shots regardless if you use syringes or cups.
- Avoid adding too much alcohol, or else they will not set up correctly.
- When changing the flavor of the jello, vodka is always a good choice of liquor that goes well with most.
- For a stronger shot, use up to 1 ½ cups of alcohol.
- Shots can be lightened up with more water and less alcohol.
- You need 4 cups total of liquid to combine with the jello mixture.
- Keep the syringes in the refrigerator until you are ready to serve.
- A great way to get ahead of the party stress is to make these a day or two before.
- If you are going to use plastic cups instead of syringes, place them on a baking sheet while they chill in the fridge. It’s the easiest way to get them out all at one time for serving.
Freezing jello shots doesn’t make them set faster, and gelatin doesn’t thaw well, so stick with the fridge!
Variations of Syringe Shots
It’s so easy to swap the flavor of jello to make more tasty jello shots and to make them in different colors. You can use these combinations in syringes or shot glasses.
Bloody syringes – use the same recipe, but omit the black food coloring.
Blue jello shot – go with a blue jello flavor or use unflavored gelatin mix and dye it. Use coconut rum for the liquor, blue curacao, and pineapple juice. When making rum jello shots, go with a white rum. This ensures the color doesn’t change.
Green Apple: Swap the liquors for Crown Royal Apple and green apple jello.
For green jello shots: use lime jello or another flavor of green gelatin. This flavor would go best with vodka.
To make a yellow jello shot: use lemon flavored vodka and yellow jello. You can also split the liquid using regular vodka and lemonade.
These jello shot syringes will keep in the refrigerator for up to a week, so they are perfect for making ahead of time.
Most party stores carry these year round. During this time of year, even some grocery stores may have them in stock. Of course, there’s always Amazon for the win!
How to Make Syringe Jello Shots
- 1 6-ounce box cherry jello mix
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 ½ cup cold water
- 1 cup Vodka
- ½ cup Cherry Brandy
- Black food coloring
- In a medium bowl or large (4-cup) measuring cup, whisk together cherry jello mix and 1 cup of boiling water until jello is fully dissolved.
- Once the jello is fully dissolved, stir in the cold water, vodka, and cherry brandy. Mix until combined.
- Add just a drop of black food coloring to deepen the color to a reddish/black. This is optional. Stir well to completely dissolve the food coloring and blend an even color.
- Wash and dry jello syringes. Place the tip of the syringe into the jello mixture and pull the plunger to fill the syringe. Put the cap on the syringe and place the syringes in a tall bucket or container and stand upright in the refrigerator.
- Chill for 2-3 hours until the jello has set.