This decadent no bake chocolate cheesecake recipe satisfies all of the chocolate cravings, is thick, has a rich chocolate flavor, and is silky smooth. It only takes 20 minutes to put together, and you can easily serve 20 people, so it’s perfect for a special occasion or large crowd.
Most baked cheesecake recipes require several additional steps and more time. One of my favorite parts when it comes to no bake treats is that they are easy, usually call for simple ingredients, and come together fairly quickly. I transformed my classic no bake cheesecake to make this chocolate version.
- baking chocolate – you’ll need 6 ounces of bittersweet and semisweet chocolate chopped into pieces.
- cream cheese – for best results, soften at room temperature.
- sour cream – helps with consistency and adds the right amount of tanginess to offset the sweetness.
- powdered sugar and vanilla extract – sweetens the batter and helps create that creamy texture.
- heavy whipping cream – make sure it stays cold until you are ready to use. It adds a great texture leaving the batter luxurious and silky.
Chocolate Graham Cracker Crust Ingredients:
- chocolate graham cracker crumbs – chocolate graham crackers are becoming more difficult to find in the grocery store, if you can find them, crush them in the food processor to make the crumbs. I purchase a larger sack of chocolate graham crumbs from Amazon, and I think they taste much better than the full graham crackers I’ve purchased in the past. Here is an affiliate link for the crumbs that I purchase.
- sugar and butter – these bind together the crust
For a full list of ingredients and their measurements, 📋 please view my printable recipe card at the bottom of the post.
Garnish this no bake cheesecake recipe with fresh fruit, such as strawberries or raspberries and a drizzle of chocolate sauce or dark chocolate ganache. You could also use mini chocolate chips, whipped cream (or Cool Whip), or chocolate curls for more decoration.
Substitutions and Variations
- Crust – if desired, you can make this cheesecake on a graham cracker crust as you would a classic cheesecake. An Oreo crust also tastes great and is what we normally use when we make my no bake Oreo cheesecake. I do recommend crushing your own Oreo cookie crumbs. The store bought Oreo pie crust will probably not hold the full filling.
- Pan – if you don’t have a springform pan you can use a deep pie plate, however there may be extra filling leftover.
PREP: Grease a springform pan with non stick cooking spray and line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper. Chop the chocolate bars.
Step 1: Place the chopped chocolate in the top pan of a double boiler over simmering water. Stir until the chocolate is smooth and fully melted. Set aside and cool to room temperature.
Step 2: If using full graham crackers, add the graham crackers to a food processor and pulse until they are fine crumbs. Add the crumbs to a large bowl and stir in the sugar.
Pro Tip: To cut down on dirty dishes, make the crust directly in the cheesecake pan.
Step 3: In a microwave-safe bowl, melt the butter then add to the crust mixture. Stir until combined. Press the graham cracker mixture into the springform pan in an even layer, making sure it goes up the sides of the pan just a bit. Chill in the refrigerator or freezer while making the next layer.
Step 4: Beat the cream cheese and sour cream in a medium bowl using an electric mixer at high speed until fluffy and smooth.
Step 5: Slowly add the powdered sugar and mix until combined.
Step 6: Beat in the vanilla. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.
Step 6: Once the chocolate is at room temperature, add it to the cream filling and beat on low speed until combined.
Step 7: Add the heavy cream and mix for 1-2 minutes longer so the mixture becomes fluffy with soft peaks.
Step 8: Spread the cheesecake batter onto the chocolate crust, using an offset spatula to smooth. Chill the chocolate cake for 4 hours in the refrigerator.
SLICE: Garnish with berries, whipped cream, or chocolate ganache and serve.
Recipe Tips for No Bake Chocolate Cheesecake
- Softened cream cheese mixes easier than cold cream cheese. This also allows less air to get into the batter, so it sets up nicely.
- The chocolate needs to be cooled before adding it the cheesecake mixture so that it doesn’t melt the other ingredients or ruin the texture.
- You can whip the heavy cream in a separate bowl, then fold into the cheesecake. However, this requires more dishes and the texture is perfect when you whip the cream right into the chocolate cheesecake mixture.
- If you are using a stand mixer, use the paddle attachment. The whisk attachment is for mixing thin batters or whipping egg whites.
- We found that this no bake chocolate cheesecake filling is sweet enough without using milk chocolate.
Chocolate is made from cacao beans and long ago, was actually a form of currency.
Leftovers should be kept in the refrigerator covered tightly with plastic wrap or in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Be sure you let it chill in the refrigerator for at least 4-6 hours. It will set up more the longer it’s refrigerated.
Yes. Once it has fully set, freeze for a couple hours, then wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and freeze for up to 1 month. We recommend adding garnishes when you are ready to serve.
If you try this No Bake Chocolate Cheesecake Recipe or any other recipe on my website, please please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how you liked it in the 📝 comments below.
No Bake Chocolate Cheesecake
- 6 oz. bittersweet baking chocolate chopped into pieces
- 6 oz. semi-sweet baking chocolate chopped into pieces
- 4 8-ounce packages cream cheese, softened
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups heavy whipping cream cold
Chocolate Graham Cracker Crust Ingredients:
- 16 oz. chocolate graham cracker crumbs
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup unsalted butter melted
- Grease a springform pan and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- Chop the chocolate into small pieces. Place in the top pan of a double boiler over simmering water, stirring until the chocolate is fully melted and smooth. Set aside to cool to room temperature. Be sure no moisture or water gets into the melted chocolate.
- Combine chocolate graham cracker crumbs and granulated sugar in a mixing bowl or directly in the bottom of a springform pan. Stir to combine evenly.
- Pour the melted butter into the graham cracker crumb mixture and stir to make a sandy mixture. Press the crust across the bottom and up the sides of the springform pan. Place crust in the refrigerator to firm up while preparing the cheesecake.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together cream cheese and sour cream until fluffy and smooth.
- Add the powdered sugar, beating until combined. Beat in the vanilla extract.
- When the chocolate is at room temperature, pour it into the cream cheese mixture and beat to combine.
- Add the heavy cream to the cheesecake mixture, beating for 1-2 minutes longer until fluffy and well combined. Cheesecake mixture should form soft peaks.
- Spread the cheesecake filling evenly into the chilled crust. Use an offset spatula to smooth the top of the cheesecake.
- Place cheesecake in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours.
- Garnish with fresh raspberries or whipped cream. You can also drizzle with chocolate ganache.