The ultimate in moisture and flavor, this double chocolate cake uses a box of cake mix, sour cream, and dark chocolate chips for an easy to make and delicious chocolate bundt cake. Simply stir the 6 ingredients, dump into a pan, bake and you’re done! You can add a quick chocolate glaze over the cooled cake for another layer of shine and richness. It is one of the best chocolate cake recipes I’ve ever tried!
Double Chocolate Cake Ingredients
For the Cake:
- 1 box Devil’s Food Chocolate cake mix
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup rich coffee, espresso preferred
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 16 oz. tub of sour cream
- 12 oz. package of semi-sweet chocolate chips
- cocoa powder for dusting the pan
- powdered sugar for dusting the cake if the glaze is not used
- Bundt Cake pan (you can find the one I used here through this referral link)
For the Chocolate Glaze:
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips
- 1 Tbs. corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 Tbs. butter
How to Make A Double Chocolate Cake
MIX THE MAIN INGREDIENTS
In a large mixing bowl, or the bowl of a standing mixer, combine cake mix, eggs, espresso, vegetable oil, and sour cream. Beat until fluffy and well combined.
ADD CHOCOLATE CHIPS
Gently fold in dark or semi-chocolate chips until thoroughly combined into batter.
PREPARE THE PAN SO CAKE DOES’T STICK
Prepare the bundt pan. Bundt pans can be tricky when it comes time to remove the baked cake because there are many nooks and crannies where the cake may stick. Grease the pan or spray with a non-stick cooking spray. Be sure to get the grease into all of the curves of the pan.
Sprinkle a good amount of cocoa powder into the pan and tap the sides and base of the pan, tilting it in every direction until the cocoa powder has completely coated the inside of the pan.
POUR BATTER INTO PREPARED PAN
Pour the chocolate cake batter carefully into the bundt pan. Gently drag a spatula across the top of the batter to ensure that it is evenly distributed within the pan and smooth across the top.
BAKING THE CAKE
Bake in a 350 degree Fahrenheit oven for 40-45 minutes or until the cake springs back when touched and a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
REMOVING THE CAKE FROM THE PAN
It is very important to allow the cake to cook substantially before removing it from the pan. The pan should be cool enough to handle it with your bare hands. The cake will retract slightly from the pan as it cools, which will also aid in the removal process. Heavier bundt pans will take longer to cool that lightweight bundt pans.
Allow the cake to cool for 15-45 minutes. Use a spatula to lightly loosen the side of the cake from the pan, as much as possible. Place a cooling rack over the opening of the bundt pan. While holding the cooling rack and bundt pan in place, tip the cake over and place the cooling rack onto the counter. You should hear the light thud of the cake falling loosely and perfectly from the pan. If some of your cake has stuck in the pan, gently loose it from the pan and place it into its spot on the cake. Most of the time a light powdered sugar dusting or a bit of frosting will disguise any pieces that didn’t make it perfectly out of the pan.
MAKING THE CHOCOLATE GLAZE
Go ahead and leave your cake on the cooling rack to cool the rest of the way. You can simply dust the cake with powdered sugar immediately before serving or add another level of chocolate amazing by drizzling a chocolate glaze over the top. The chocolate glaze is SUPER simple and quick to make.
In a double boiler (or in a glass/ceramic bowl placed over a pan of simmering water), heat together chocolate chips, corn syrup, and butter until melted. Remove from heat and add in vanilla extract. Bam! Ready to drizzle. Place your cake laden cooling rack over a cookie sheet to catch the drips and then pour the chocolate glaze over the cake, letting the glaze run down the crevices of the cake.
Cake is done and ready to serve! Yum! The rich, moist double chocolate cake is going to be a new favorite in your recipe box! I know I love a great chocolate cake mix recipe!
DOUBLE CHOCOLATE CAKE RECIPE
Double Chocolate Cake
- bundt pan
- 1 box Devil's Food cake mix
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup espresso
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 16 oz. sour cream
- 12 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips
- cocoa powder for dusting pan
- 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp corn syrup
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Making the Cake
- Combine cake mix, vegetable oil, sour cream, espresso, and eggs and beat well.
- Gently fold in chocolate chips and stir until combined.
- Prepare bundt pan by spraying with non-stick spray and sprinkle with cocoa powder to coat well.
- Pour batter into prepared bundt pan and spread evenly.
- Bake in a 350 degree Farenheit oven for 40-45 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Allow cake to cool until you can handle the pan with bare hands. Turn cake over onto cooling rack and allow to cool the rest of the way.
Making the Chocolate Glaze
- Heat chocolate chips, corn syrup, and butter in a double boiler until melted and combined.
- Remove from heat; stir in vanilla extract.
- Drizzle glaze over cooled chocolate cake and serve!