Crockpot cabbage soup is a great recipe that is made with simple ingredients and perfect for busy weeknights because you simply dump everything in and cook! The leftovers are just as delicious the next day and it freezes well.
For years I’ve made my weight loss cabbage soup on the stove top and used several different ingredients; it is so versatile when you want a low-calorie, low-carbohydrate, vegetable packed soup. While it’s easy to make on the stove, I had to turn into a slow cooking version so I could set and forget it!
For those looking for a keto soup, this is a full one pot meal with no sides needed. However, you can serve it over white rice, cauliflower rice, with dutch oven bread or homemade sweet dinner rolls if you aren’t focusing on net carbs. Another healthy dinner idea that’s low carb is my Big Mac Salad. It literally tastes like your fast food fave, but without the bun. The sauce is definitely the secret ingredient. If you have more cabbage to use up, go with slow cooker corned beef and cabbage or my corned beef cabbage soup. These are both slow cooker recipes that are super simple and are perfect for a cold winter day or to celebrate the new year.
- Veggies: onion, celery, carrots, fresh cabbage (we used green, but red cabbage would work as well), frozen green beans, diced tomatoes
- garlic cloves – or use store-bought minced garlic
- Seasoning: Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper.
- chicken broth – store-bought or homemade chicken stock will work.
For a full list of ingredients and their measurements, 📋 please view my printable recipe card at the bottom of the post.
Garnish slow cooker cabbage soup with fresh herbs like parsley and thyme. Another great choice is a little sprinkle of cheese, parmesan is our favorite.
Substitutions and Variations
- Protein – consider adding rotisserie chicken, ground turkey, lean ground beef, or cooked pork sausage.
- Vegan – The only change needed is to use veggie broth or water in place of the chicken broth. You can also add chickpeas (garbanzo beans) or any other white beans.
- Spicy – add red pepper flakes or a can of Rotel.
- More Veggies – you can use just about any vegetable. Fresh spinach, kale, and sauerkraut would all fit in this tasty soup.
PREP: Chop all of the veggies.
Step 1: Add the vegetables and seasonings to the crockpot.
Step 2: Pour the chicken broth over the rest of the ingredients. Cover and cook on high for 6 hours or until the veggies are tender.
Pro Tip: Speed up the cooking time by sautéing the onions, celery, and carrots in a pan on the stovetop with olive oil over medium heat before adding to the crockpot. Then cook for 3-4 hours on high.
SERVE: Season with salt and pepper, and serve.
Recipe Tips for Cabbage Soup in Crock Pot
- Water can be substituted for the chicken broth, however, the soup may need additional salt before serving.
- While we have added mostly low starch veggies, if you are following a low carb diet you can omit the carrots.
- For extra flavor use fire-roasted tomatoes.
- This hearty soup recipe makes a ton! We like to ladle it into freezer bags in individual portions so the next time you want to reheat it, it doesn’t take as long and it’s easy to meal prep.
- If making hamburger cabbage soup, use low sodium beef broth instead of chicken.
In ancient China, consuming cabbage was thought to be a cure for bald men to grow hair back! – Crafty House
Store leftover soup in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Yes! It will stay fresh for up to 3 months in the freezer. When ready, reheat on the stovetop over medium low heat until warm.
If you tried this Crockpot Cabbage Soup Recipe or any other recipe on my website, please please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how you liked it in the 📝 comments below.
Crockpot Cabbage Soup
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 2 cups celery diced
- 2 cups peeled and sliced carrots
- ½ head of green cabbage sliced
- 1 cup frozen green beans
- 1 28-ounce can of diced tomatoes (including the juices)
- 2-3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 cups chicken broth
- In an 8-10 Qt. crock pot, add onions, celery, carrots, cabbage, green beans, diced tomatoes, garlic, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper.
- Pour the chicken broth over all of the ingredients.
- Cover the crock pot and cook on high for 6 hours, until vegetables are tender.
- Season with additional salt and pepper, if desired, and serve.