Peppermint everything sounds good to me this time of year. So I went ahead and made some cut-out sugar cookies, topped them with a fluffy spread of peppermint marshmallow frosting, and threw some crushed candy canes on top. Mmm, mmm, mmm. Festive and easy, you know you want to make some of these Candy Cane cookies!
I like to use my super easy cut out sugar cookie recipe for these candy cane cookies because there are so few ingredients, it mixes up in a snap, and there’s no chill time needed! You could even cut these out into cute little candy cane shapes!!
I’ve shared this sugar cookies recipe in the past, but it’s always nice to have it handy – especially heading into prime sugar cookie time!! The almond extract in the dough really makes this a standout, in my opinion.
Candy Cane Cookie Recipe
Candy Cane Cookies
- 1 cup salted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
Peppermint Marshmallow Frosting
- 14 oz. marshmallow creme/marshmallow fluff
- 1 1/2 cups salted butter, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 cup crushed candy canes
- Cream together butter and sugar in the bowl of a standing mixer or with a hand mixer.
- Add in egg and almond extract and beat together well.
- Sift together flour, salt, and baking soda and add to butter mixture.
- Mix until combined and the dough comes together.
- Dough does not need to be chilled, but can be wrapped in plastic wrap and stored in the refrigerator (up to 3 days) or freezer (up to 3 months) until ready to bake.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Roll out dough between two sheets of parchment, waxed paper, or plastic wrap to 1/4"-1/2" thick.
- Use cookie cutters to cut shapes. Transfer to baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until the bottom of the cookies are just barely showing a bit of browning.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 2-3 minutes before removing cookies from baking sheet and transferring to a cooling rack.
- Frost, if desired, when cookies have cooled completely.
- Beat marshmallow creme with a whisk. Gradually add butter, 2-3 tablespoons at a time.
- When all the butter has been incorporated, add powdered sugar and peppermint extract. Whisk 1-2 minutes more until frosting is fluffy and smooth.
- Top each cookie with a layer of frosting and sprinkle with crushed candy cane pieces.