My kids are always asking for spaghetti! I dislike that I have to stand over the simmering stove for hours and there’s always a splatter to clean up, so I don’t make it too often. Last week, however, I gave the crockpot a try and served up some skull spaghetti for my family. There were lots of giggles. Have you used one of these cool skull baking pans yet?
You can use any bread recipe to fill the cavities in the pan and it bakes into the perfect skulls. Have some fun with your family! There are fronts and backs for the skulls, so I stood the two back to back on a plate and spooned the spaghetti down the middle. The skull pan is available here: Skull Baking/Cake Pan (affiliate link) and if you have Amazon Prime, you can get have it in time for this Halloween! I have to confess that I didn’t love the bread recipe I tried this time, so I’m not sharing that, but you can even use a boxed bread mix – any recipe will work!
I don’t have a nice, appetizing picture of the spaghetti, but it’s yummy for regular meals, too. 😉
Skull Spaghetti Sauce
- 2 pounds of lean ground beef
- 2- 14.5 oz. cans of tomato sauce
- 2- 8 oz. cans of tomato paste
- 2- 28 oz. cans of diced tomatoes
- ½ c. red wine (Cabernet Sauvignon)
- 1 Tbs. dried basil
- 1 Tbs. dried oregano
- 4-5 cloves of garlic crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- salt and pepper
- 2 tsp. granulated sugar
- Brown ground beef on the stovetop (you can also use ground turkey, ground sausage, or a combination).
- Add salt and pepper to flavor the meat.
- When meat is browned, add garlic, basil, and oregano and sauté 1-2 minutes longer.
- Transfer meat and spice mixture to crock pot.
- Add wine, tomato paste, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, and bay leaves.
- Note: the wine amount isn't exact - I typically just pour in the remainder of the my bottle from the night before - less than 1 cup is probably best.
- Cook on low-medium heat for 6-8 hours.
- Add sugar and adjust amount to taste.
- Serve over cooked pasta.
- Cool and separate remaining sauce into Ziplock freezer bags.
- Freeze up to 60 days. Reheat on stovetop or in a microwave safe bowl.