Apple delight is a tasty layered dessert that the whole family will love and will be a hit during the holidays. The apple filling and cheesecake layer is piled on a butter graham cracker crust, followed by a creamy whipped topping with crunchy pecans that takes less than 30 minutes to prepare.
Even though fall is the best time to pick fresh apples, I am going to show you how to make this delicious dessert using apple pie filling. It cuts down on the prep time, and you don’t have cook down the cubed apples to make your own filling. Apple delight is refreshing and can be served year round, but the spicy filling gives all the fall vibes.
You can also use the same type of filling to make apple hand pies (there’s a caramel version too) or make a batch of fried apples and save the leftovers. These are always a hit around our house! For a more classic dessert, go with a Granny Smith Apple Pie, which uses fresh apples and is another great option for a holiday dessert.
- Super simple to make.
- Use pantry staples, so no fancy ingredients required.
- A great make ahead dessert.
- One recipe serves 16 people, so it’s great for a crowd.
What Ingredients do I Need for Apple Delight?
- graham crackers
- cream cheese – allow time for it to soften so the layer is smooth and creamy.
- vanilla extract
- Cool Whip – be sure it is thawed before using
- powdered sugar
- apple pie filling
- pecans to sprinkle for the topping
Before You Start sit the cream cheese and Cool Whip out so it can come to room temperature.
How to Make Apple Delight
PREPARE CRUST: Preheat the oven and combine the graham crackers, pecans, butter, and sugar in a food processor. Pulse until crumbly. Press the mixture firmly into a 9×13 dish so it’s in an even layer. Bake for 8 minutes and allow the crust to cool compeltely before starting the next layer.
MIX THE CREAM CHEESE LAYER: Beat the cream cheese, vanilla, half of the whipped topping, and powdered sugar in a large mixing bowl using an electric mixer. Spread over the cooled crust.
ADD REMAINING LAYERS: Spread the apple filling over the cheesecake layer followed by the rest of the Cool Whip.
CHILL AND SERVE: Refrigerate the dessert for 3 to 4 hours (overnight is best) then top with chopped pecans just before slicing and serving.
- When the crust first comes out of the oven, it will be soft. As it cools, it will harden.
- You can make apple delight several days in advance if you need it for the holidays.
- Feel free to experiment with different flavors, simply swap out the pie filling and follow the same instructions.
- If desired, replace the pecans with chopped walnuts, both are tasty.
- A light caramel drizzle on top would be delish!
Even though technology has come a long way, most apples are still hand picked!
Cover leftovers loosely with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Freezing is not recommended.
You could, but you would need to cook them down to where they are caramelized using sugar, water, and other spices. I choose to use canned filling because it tastes the same and is much easier!
- 1 package graham crackers (9 crackers)
- ½ cup pecans chopped
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ cup butter melted
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 16 ounces Cool Whip divided
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 cans apple pie filling (two 21-ounce cans)
- ¼ cup chopped pecans for optional topping
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a food processor, pulse the graham crackers and pecans until finely chopped.
- Add the melted butter and ¼ cup sugar in with the graham cracker mixture and pulse a few times to combine.
- Press the mixture into a 9×13-inch pan, creating an even layer on the bottom.
- Bake for 8 minutes and allow it to cool completely before starting the 2nd layer.
- In a large bowl mix together the cream cheese, vanilla extract, half of the Cool Whip (8 ounces), and powdered sugar. Spread over the crust.
- Spread apple pie filling on top of cream cheese layer.
- Spread remaining Cool Whip on top of the apple pie filling.
- Refrigerate for 3 to 4 hours, or overnight if possible.
- Top with chopped pecans before serving.