I don’t know about you, but I’m a sucker for Carnitas. When I see carnitas on a restaurant menu, that item is hard to pass up. I have tried making them at home on several occasions, but worked out an especially successful recipe a couple weeks ago. The meat itself is SUPER easy to prepare in the crockpot and the end result is so mouth-watering, you’ll want carnitas every day!
Carnitas and Fresh Mango Salsa (Recipe)
Author: Stef at Girl. Inspired.
A Slow Cooker carnitas recipe that makes the most delicious and flavorful meat, perfect for tacos, omelets, burritos, or eating over rice! Use all of your favorite fruits and herbs for a zesty salsa to top your meat. This is sure to be a family favorite!
- 2-3 pound pork butt roast
- olive oil
- 1 t. cumin
- 1 orange
- ½ large sweet onion
- 2 Roma tomatoes
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1-2 mangos
- 1 salsa garden pepper (or other chili/hot pepper of your preference)
- ½ C. frozen white corn
- 1 C. cilantro
- juice of 2 limes
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- salt and pepper
- 2 avocados (add just before serving)
- For the meat: Brown the roast in a frying pan with a little olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Place the browned meat into the crock pot with about a teaspoon of cumin, more salt and pepper, and one orange (squeezed and then thrown in the pot). Cook the meat on low-med heat for about 8 hours.
- Once it's done cooking, pull the meat apart with two forks - it should fall apart easily.
- Heat olive oil on med. heat in a clean frying pan and fry the meat until it browns, but doesn't dry out.
- For the salsa: Chop all fruits, herbs, and vegetables (except for avocados).
- Add lime juice, crushed garlic, salt and pepper and stir.
- Cover and set in refrigerator for 6-8 hours.
- Just before serving, chop avocados and mix in.
- Load your meat salsa into some lightly fried corn tortillas serve immediately!
I also love to eat carnitas in an omelet or simply with salsa for a low-carb meal. Do you love carnitas? How do you like to eat them?