This mango avocado salsa is the perfect sweet and savory blend of fresh ingredients. The mango salsa gets its sweetness from fresh mangos and white corn while bell pepper, jalapeño, red onion, and tomato balance the savory and spicy side. The creamy avocado, cilantro, spicy jalapeño, and tangy lime juice pull the dish together for a perfect spicy salsa. Serve this delicious side dish alone with tortilla chips or on taco night with the most drool-worthy slow cooker carnitas or my favorite way, over fish tacos.
Avocado mango salsa is such an easy and refreshing side dish. It brings brightness and added flavor to a simple dish like tacos or a piece of grilled fish or chicken. There are many fruits and vegetables that can go into this dish. I like to always use ripe mango, vine-ripened tomato and ripe avocado, but you can add pineapple or omit the bell pepper – use what you have available! The best way to make successful salsa recipes is when you balance the juicy mango or other sweet fruits with a spicy kick.
To choose the best mango from your grocery store or market, look for a mango that is fairly symmetrical. The skin should be smooth and taut (mango skin starts to shrivel when the fruit is old) and free from bruises or breaks in the skin. Mangos are very firm and hard when underripe and they develop a little softness and give when they are ripe. They should not be overly squishy. Mangos can be ripened on the countertop by placing in a brown paper bag or wrapped in newspaper for a day or two.
- 1 bell pepper (yellow or orange is lovely for the color and a sweeter flavor, but you can also use red bell pepper or even green)
- 2 mangos (learn the easy way to cut a mango here)
- 1-2 tomatoes (homegrown tomatoes are the best, cherry tomatoes work great, too)
- 1 jalapeño pepper or other hot pepper of choice (a serrano pepper or red chile pepper will also work for a spicier salsa)
- ½ red onion
- juice of 2 limes (you want fresh lime juice in this delicious recipe)
- large handful of cilantro
- ½ cup frozen (or fresh) sweet white corn
- 1-2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 avocados (wait to dice until ready to serve)
- salt and pepper to taste
How to Make Mango Avocado Salsa
Step 1: Dice bell pepper, mangos, and tomatoes into small pieces similar in size.
Step 2: Remove seeds and dice hot pepper into very small pieces. Dice red onion and cilantro into very small pieces as well.
Step 3: Stir together all ingredients except for the avocado.
Step 4: Cover bowl and place in refrigerator for 2-3 hours to allow flavors to blend.
Step 5: Dice avocado and stir into salsa. Serve immediately!
Using Mango in this Recipe
Mangos have a unique sweet and creamy taste. They are refreshing in this recipe and give a tropical twist to an otherwise traditional tomato salsa. Mangos can be tricky to cut, but I have a fool-proof method for cutting up mangos. Be sure to check that out so that you can make the most of your mangos and use all of their juicy goodness in this homemade salsa recipe.
How to Serve Mango Avocado Salsa
My go to dinner for serving this flavor packed salsa is Carnitas Tacos. We make carnitas in the slow cooker or in the Instant Pot and either way, they’re absolutely delicious in a taco shell with a big spoonful of mango avocado salsa on top. The salsa is also superb with a grilled or baked piece of salmon or grilled chicken tacos. You will probably find yourself going back for more salsa and it is just fine to scoop it up with tortilla chips.
Mango Salsa Storage and Leftovers
Keep this easy mango avocado salsa recipe in the refrigerator in an airtight container with a tightly sealed cover – either a lid or plastic wrap. The avocados may start to discolor (although the lime juice does a pretty good job combatting the brown), but the fresh produce in the salsa will still be good for several days.
Mango Avocado Salsa
- 1 bell pepper yellow or orange is lovely for the color and a sweeter flavor
- 2 large mangos diced
- 1-2 tomatoes diced
- 1 jalapeño or other hot pepper of choice diced
- ½ red onion diced
- juice of 2 limes
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- ½ cup sweet white corn fresh or frozen
- 1-2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 avocados wait to dice until ready to serve
- salt and pepper to taste
- Step 1: Dice bell pepper, mangos, and tomatoes. into small pieces similar in size.
- Step 2: Remove seeds and dice hot pepper into very small pieces. Dice red onion and chop cilantro into very small pieces as well.
- Step 3: Stir together all ingredients except for the avocado.
- Step 4: Cover bowl and place in refrigerator for 2-3 hours to allow flavors to blend.
- Step 5: Dice avocado and stir into salsa. Serve immediately!