I don’t know about you, but I’m a sucker for carnitas. Making crockpot carnitas is SO simple and so delicious, my family loves this recipe. The tender shredded pork itself is SUPER easy to prepare and the end result is so mouth-watering, you’ll want carnitas every day! Our absolute favorite way to eat this carnitas recipe is in tacos with fresh mango avocado salsa. Yummmmmm.
Preparing the Pork Roast for the Crockpot
Brown the meat in olive oil over medium -high heat in a saucepan on the stovetop before putting it in the slow cooker. This helps to season the meat and also lock in the fat and juices for its extended stay in the crockpot. Once it is browned on all sides, place it into the slow cooker. Add the salt, pepper, and cumin to the pot and then slice the orange in half. Squeeze both halves of the orange over the meat and then place the halves (peel and all) into the pot to cook along with the roast.
Cover and cook the roast on low heat for about 8 hours. While the meat is cooking, be sure to prepare the Mango Avocado salsa. The salsa is best if it sits for at least a few hours so prepare it right away. When the pork is done cooking, remove the roast from the crockpot and cut off any netting. Shred the meat with two forks. It should pull apart nicely.
Crockpot Carnitas Recipe
- 2-3 pound pork butt roast
- olive oil
- 1 t. cumin
- 1 orange
- mango salsa
- Brown the roast in a frying pan with a little olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Place the browned meat into the crock pot with about a teaspoon of cumin, more salt and pepper, and one orange (squeezed and then thrown in the pot). Cook the meat on low-med heat for about 8 hours.
- Once it's done cooking, pull the meat apart with two forks - it should fall apart easily.
- Heat olive oil on med. heat in a clean frying pan and fry the meat until it browns, but doesn't dry out.