Apple pie dump cake is made with just 3 simple ingredients, is ready in 1 hour, and makes the perfect fall dessert recipe. The warm apple filling has just the right amount of spice, and the buttery cake topping is melt in your mouth delicious.
Dump cake mix recipes are some of my favorites, because let’s face it – they are the easiest dessert in the world to make! Don’t get me wrong, I love apple crisp, my dutch caramel apple pie, and apple cobbler, but those all take much more work! I know fresh apples are very popular during this time of year, but we are using 2 cans of apple pie filling to keep this a quick dessert with minimal effort.
If you need a few fresh apple recipes be sure to try my warm homemade apple bread pudding, old fashioned fried apples, or apple cheesecake bars. You can also use the fried apples recipe as the base for this dump cake, instead of the canned pie filling.
- apple pie filling – this can be found at any grocery store on the baking aisle.
- boxed cake mix – we used yellow cake mix, but white will work as well.
- salted butter – be sure it stays cold before using.
For a full list of ingredients and their measurements, 📋 please view my printable recipe card at the bottom of the post.
This easy apple dump cake recipe goes perfectly with a heaping scoop of vanilla ice cream or a few dollops of whipped cream and a nice drizzle of caramel sauce – use my dark caramel sauce recipe or the brown sugar version below.
Substitutions and Variations
- Brown sugar caramel sauce – my homemade caramel sauce goes wonderfully with the apple spice flavor.
- Other fruit filling – use this easy dump cake recipe and swap out the apple pie filling to make others such as blueberry, strawberry, and peach.
- Slow cooker – follow the same instructions for layering the ingredients in the crock pot. Cook for 2 – 2.5 hours on high.
- Homemade cake mix – we like using a box mix to keep things easy, but you can use a homemade version if you would like.
- Fresh apples – during apple season you may want to make your own filling using apples, sugar, cinnamon, and water.
- Melted Butter – I find it easier to cover the top of mix with pats of butter, but you can also use melted butter. A stick of butter is usually enough to cover. If you see dry spots half way through baking you can add little bit more to cover.
PREP: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Step 1: Pour the apple filling into the bottom of a 9×13 baking pan.
Step 2: Sprinkle the dry box cake mix over the apple mixture evenly.
Step 3: Slice the butter into very thin slices and place them on top of the cake mix so it’s covers as much as possible.
Step 4: Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until the filling is bubbling and the topping is golden brown.
Pro Tip: Melted butter can also be used, see the variations section.
SERVE: Serve this apple dessert recipe with a scoop of ice cream and/or caramel sauce.
Recipe Tips for Apple Dump Cake
- The hardest part about a dump cake is getting the butter to cover all of the dry parts of the cake mix. It’s not a problem if you end up with a few dry patches, but I like to check on my dump cake about 15 minutes before it is done and add a few extra slices of butter to cover any dry areas.
- This delicious dessert can be served cold, warm, or at room temperature.
- A can of apple pie filling already has the warming spices, but if desired you can add more nutmeg, cinnamon, or apple pie spice.
- If you feel like making your own filling, it’s a great way to use up fresh apples. Use our fried apples recipe.
- This recipe is the perfect dessert for large gatherings, potlucks, and holiday parties because one batch serves 12.
Most apple orchards still have people pick apples by hand once they are ready. – Apple Holler
Leftover apple dump cake can be covered or stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Once the dump cake has cooled completely, you can freeze it for up to 1 month. We recommend wrapping it tightly in plastic wrap or store in single serving containers. Allow the leftover dump cake to thaw in the fridge or reheat in the oven before serving.
If you tried this Apple Pie Dump Cake or any other recipe on my website, please please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how you liked it in the 📝 comments below.
Apple Pie Dump Cake
- 2 21-ounce cans apple pie filling
- 1 package of yellow or white cake mix
- ½-¾ cup salted butter cold
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Spread the apple pie filling evenly into a 9×13” baking dish.
- Sprinkle the dry cake mix evenly over the apple pie filling.
- Use a sharp knife or a mandolin to slice very thin pieces of butter. Spread the pieces of butter over the top of the dy cake mix, covering as much of the cake mix as possible.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until the topping is browned and the apple pie filling is bubbling from under the topping.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream and/or caramel sauce.
Keep leftover apple spice dump cake covered for up to 7 days in the fridge. Freeze in a freezer-safe container for up to 1 month. Reheat in the oven or thaw in the refrigerator before serving. Notes:
The easy apple cake can be served warm or cold. Canned “fried apples” or homemade apple pie filling can be used in place of the canned. Store bought pie filling already contains spices, but feel free to add more nutmeg, cinnamon, or apple pie spice. If there are dry patches after baking, that’s okay. Covering the cake mix with pats of butter is pretty simple, but you can also melt a stick and pour over top. Check the cake after 30 minutes of baking and add more butter if needed to cover dry patches.