This decadent chocolate cherry pie is an easy no-bake recipe made in a chocolate pie crust, filled with cream cheese and cherry pie filling, and decorated with whipped topping and maraschino cherries. It only takes 5 minutes to prepare and is perfect for holidays and parties.
For all of those who love the chocolate and cherry combo, this dessert is for you! While it’s similar to my chocolate cherry lush, the cherry filling is simple to make and you don’t have to worry about layering the treat, which makes things easy. We are going to be using a chocolate pie crust, which can be store-bought or you can go with my homemade Oreo crust.
You’ll be using an entire can of cherry pie filling, but be sure to grab extra so you can make cherry pie bars, cherry turnovers, and even cherry cheesecake tacos! Use the leftover maraschino cherries to whip up a batch of Martha Washington Candy, also great for holidays and edible gifts.
Why You’ll Love This Chocolate Cherry Pie Recipe
- It only takes a few minutes to put together with no oven required!
- You’ll only need 6 simple ingredients.
- One pie can feed up to 12 people.
- Freezes well, which means you can make it ahead of time.
What Ingredients do I Need for Chocolate Cherry Pie?
- chocolate pie crust – use a store-bought or a homemade Oreo cookie crust
- cream cheese – allow time for it to soften to room temperature
- powdered sugar – adds sweetness to the pie filling
- cherry pie filling
- Cool Whip – can substitute for homemade whipped cream
- semi-sweet mini chocolate chips – if preferred, swap for dark chocolate
- Maraschino cherries
Before You Start: Make sure your cream cheese is soft and the Cool Whip is completely thawed.
How to Make Cherry Chocolate Pie
MIX: Beat together the powdered sugar and cream cheese in a large bowl. Stir in the cherry pie filling and fold in the whipped topping. Add the chocolate chips and gently mix until they are distributed evenly.
ADD TO CRUST: Spread the filling mixture into the crust evenly.
CHILL: Refrigerate the pie until it has set.
GARNISH: Add dollops of whipped cream around the edge of the pie or use a piping bag for swirls. Top with cherries and additional chocolate chips.
- We want the ingredients to be soft and thawed, so they mix up smoothly. Nobody wants lumps in their pie!
- To make homemade whipped cream, combine a cup of heavy cream with a few tablespoons of powdered sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.
- If you want to add Cool Whip to the top of the pie, you will need 16 ounces. The first 8 ounces go into the filling, then you can use the rest for decoration or serving.
- Want to make cherry pie filling from scratch? Add 2 pounds of pitted cherries to a saucepan. Pour in a tablespoon of lemon juice, ½ cup of water, ½ cup of sugar, and ¼ cup of cornstarch. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer until it thickens. Allow it to cool completely before using. Add more sugar if you like it sweeter and if you are using tarter cherries.
There are over 1,000 types of cherries and have actually been around since the stone age! There are traces of fossilized pits in caves that have been discovered by archaeologists.
Store leftovers in the refrigerator covered with plastic wrap for 2 to 3 days.
Once the pie has set, place it on a baking sheet (undecorated) in the freezer for at least 30 minutes. Remove and wrap with plastic wrap and a layer of aluminum foil. Thaw in the fridge overnight before serving. Add the whipped cream and cherries once it has thawed.
We have found that powdered sugar really adds just enough sweetness! But if you want to add a little more flavor you can use a little vanilla extract or almond extract. Some people also like adding fresh cherries to the pie filling if it’s thinner than they expected.
No Bake Chocolate Cherry Pie
- 9- inch chocolate pie crust
- 8 ounces of cream cheese softened to room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 21 oz. can cherry pie filling
- 1 8- ounce tub Cool Whip plus more for topping the pie
- 1 ½ cups semi-sweet mini chocolate chips divided
- Maraschino cherries for decoration (optional)
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat together softened cream cheese and powdered sugar until light and creamy.
- Use a spatula to stir in the cherry pie filling and then fold in the Cool Whip.
- Fold in 1 cup of mini chocolate chips until evenly distributed.
- Spread filling into the chocolate pie crust.
- Refrigerate for 3-4 hours to set the pie. Top with dollops or piped swirls of Cool Whip and the remaining mini chocolate chips. Add maraschino cherries to the decoration or serve alongside.