Do you all have the absolute must-haves for Thanksgiving dinner? We sure do in our family. Holiday yams were never part of the menu growing up for me, but my they are an absolute on my husband’s menu. We make them every year by mixing in sugar and maple syrup and vanilla. Usually we top them with mini marshmallows and bake them until all the kids ooooh and awwww at their puffy perfection coming out of the oven. This year, though, I had a stroke of genius – what could be better than yams topped with marshmallows? Yams topped with brown sugar and pecan streusel!! We gave it a test round – the kids ate the whole plate in the blink of an eye. They’re delicious. I don’t think we you need a lot of convincing, do you? Say good bye to mushy sweet potatoes and hello to these drool-worthy Holiday yams! Watch how simple they are to make!
Holiday Yams with Brown Sugar Pecan Streusal
- 3 garnet yams medium
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/8 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar packed
- 2 tbsp cold butter
- 1/3 cup Bisquick baking mix
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup pecans chopped
- Wash yams thoroughly and poke on all sides with a fork to allow steam to escape while cooking.
- Arrange yams in a spoke pattern on several layers of paper towel in the microwave.
- Cook on hte "baked potato" setting or until yams are soft all the way through when poked with a fork.
- Remove from microwave oven and allow to sit and cool for 30 minutes or until they are cool enough to handle.
- Slice yams in half lengthwise and scoop out cooked contents with a spoon. Discard skins.
- In a bowl, combine yams, butter, maple syrup, vanilla extract, and 1/4 cup of brown sugar. Mix well, mashing with a fork or potato masher until most lumps are smooth.
- Spread yam mixture into a large pie plate or 8x8 square baking dish.
- To make the streusel, use a pastry blender to mix cold butter, baking mix, and brown sugar.
- Chop pecans into small pieces and stir into streusel mixture.
- Sprinkle streusel evenly over the yams.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until the streusel begins to brown. Remove from oven and serve immeidately.
If you have a few minutes to watch the how-to video for this dish, I show you my speedy prep techniques. Although the total cook time appears lengthy, most of that time is simply wait time for cooking and cooling!
These delicious yams would make a wonderful side dish any day with our Perfect Herb-Roasted Chicken.