This grilled chicken alfredo recipe will have you kicking the store-bought sauce to the curb! You can expect tender and juicy chicken, creamy and rich alfredo sauce, and noodles that are cooked to perfection in every bite. The best part is that this meal is ready in less than 1 hour and is ten times better than takeout!
While I am all for giant cheese stuffed shells, chicken alfredo is the way to my heart! It’s a total comfort food that you can enjoy year round and when you make it at home, it has tons of flavor. Most of the time it’s better than your favorite restaurant and super simple to make! If you decide you would rather not fire up the grill, you can cook the chicken any way you would like, sometime I swap it for chicken breast in the Instant Pot.
You can’t serve chicken fettuccine alfredo without an Italian salad, garlic knots, and authentic Italian cannoli! If you want to start the meal with an appetizer, let me recommend these cheesy fried raviolis!
Why You’ll Love Grilled Chicken Alfredo
- The meal is simple to make and no sides are needed if you are short on time.
- Comforting, filling, and a family favorite.
- Can easily be doubled or tripled to feed a crowd.
- From start to finish it’s ready in one hour.
- Can be made in a variety of ways.
What Ingredients do I Need for This Grilled Chicken Alfredo Recipe?
- fettuccine noodles
- boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper
- Italian seasoning
- olive oil
- unsalted butter
- garlic – can swap the cloves for garlic powder if needed or desired
- all-purpose flour
- heavy cream
- whole milk
- freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Fresh parsley (for garnish)
- Add veggies: mushrooms, broccoli, asparagus, are all delicious in alfredo.
- Swap proteins: instead of chicken add shrimp. You can also use Italian sausage.
- Change the noodles: penne, angel hair, and linguine all work well in this dish.
- Make it cajun: Use paprika, salt, pepper, garlic powder, a little thyme, and a dash of cayenne pepper to kick it up a notch. You can find a similar spice blend in our air fryer boneless chicken breasts recipe.
How to Make The Best Homemade Grilled Chicken Alfredo
PREP: Boil the fettuccine noodles so they are al dente in salted water. Drain, but reserve 1-2 cups of pasta water. Pack the chicken dry, brush it with olive oil, and season.
Pro Tip: Use chicken breasts that are equal in thickness so they cook evenly. You can use a meat mallet to make them thinner if needed.
GRILL: Cook the chicken for 5 minutes on each side or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees. Remove from the grill and let it rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
MAKE THE ALFREDO SAUCE: Melt the butter in a large skillet, add the minced garlic and cook until fragrant. Whisk in the cream and milk into the flour until the sauce thickens. Bring to a simmer, add the seasoning and parmesan cheese a handful at a time. Remove from heat and add salt and pepper to taste.
TOSS AND SERVE: Toss the noodles in with the alfredo sauce, use the pasta water to thin it if needed. Plate the pasta, top with grilled chicken, and a sprinkle of fresh parsley.
Recipe Tips for Grilled Chicken Alfredo
- Feel free to substitute your favorite grilled chicken recipe instead.
- If you don’t want to grill, sear the chicken in a skillet.
- This alfredo sauce is rich and thick. The pasta water works well to thin it out, plus it doesn’t dilute the flavor.
Using whole milk and heavy cream helps to keep the sauce thick. You can also add more parmesan cheese.
Low and slow heat helps to keep the sauce from separating. While it’s warming, add a little more milk or cream and additional cheese if needed. It’s best to reheat it on the stovetop versus in the microwave.
Store leftovers in the refrigerator in an airtight container for 3-4 days. You can store the chicken separately or dice it up to make reheating easier.
The Best Grilled Chicken Alfredo Recipe
- 8 oz. fettuccine noodles
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2-3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cup heavy cream
- ¾ cup whole milk
- ¾ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Fresh parsley for garnish
- Boil fettuccine noodles in a large pot of salted water until cooked to desired tenderness. Drain pasta, reserving 1-2 cups of the pasta water if needed for the alfredo sauce.
- Meanwhile, prepare the chicken. Heat grill to 400°F. Pat chicken breasts completely dry. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt, pepper, and 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning.
- Grill chicken breasts for 4-5 minutes on each side, until internal temperature registers 165°F. Remove from the grill and let rest at least 5 minutes before slicing.
- To make the Alfredo sauce, melt butter in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add the minced garlic and saute for about 1 minute until fragrant.
- Sprinkle the flour over the butter and garlic and saute an additional 1 minute until combined and bubbly.
- Slowly whisk the cream and milk into the flour mixture, until a smooth sauce forms. Bring to a low simmer. Add remaining teaspoon of Italian seasoning and then the Parmesan cheese, one handful at a time, and stir until smooth. Remove from heat. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Toss cooked fettuccine with the Alfredo sauce, using the reserved pasta water to loosen the mixture and thin the sauce as needed.
- Serve with sliced chicken breasts and a garnish of chopped parsley.