When you are wanting an easy dinner recipe that’s delicious and screams comfort, you’ll want to make this sour cream noodle bake. It’s a one-pan meal that’s ready in 40 minutes and family friendly.
So all you have on hand is simple ingredients and you really don’t feel like tending to the stove all night. Same here. That’s where this noodle bake recipe comes in real handy. You can serve it up how it is, or lead with an Italian salad topped with homemade croutons.
Anytime there is pasta involved, you know you need some type of bread. So I recommend these buttery and tasty dinner rolls or this perfect garlic french bread.
More Tasty Main Course Meals
What is Sour Cream Noodle Bake?
The most delicious weeknight dish you have ever tasted. This recipe has actually been around for ages. It tastes similar to lasagna, but without all of the layering and extra work involved. Think of it as a pasta casserole-type dish that features noodles, a meaty red sauce, and loads of cheese.
Sour Cream Noodle Bake Ingredients
- egg noodles – You can substitute other types of noodles – a rotini or campanelle would be great substitutions. You will only need about half of the noodles that come in a standard box.
- ground beef – we prefer a leaner beef
- yellow onion
- marinara sauce – store bought is the easiest or you can try my homemade marinara
- sour cream
- ricotta cheese or small curd cottage cheese – if you can’t decide between to two, split it half and half for a creamy blend that is the best of both worlds.
- onion powder
- garlic powder
- chives or diced green onions
- mozzarella cheese
How to Make
Start by browning the ground beef in a large skillet over medium-high heat with the diced onions and garlic cloves.
In the meantime, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Cook the noodles in a large pot of salted water to al dente according to the instructions on the box. Drain when the pasta is done.
Pour the marinara sauce into the pan with the beef once it is no longer pink and simmer for 5 minutes.
In a medium bowl, combine the sour cream, ricotta (or cottage cheese) garlic powder, onion powder, and chives. Stir together until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
Toss the noodles in the sour cream mixture.
Add half of the noodle mixture to a 9×13 baking dish, followed by half the meat mixture, and sprinkle cheese to cover. Repeat the same steps again for the second layer.
Bake for about 20 minutes or until the cheese has melted and starts to turn a light brown color.
Serve with a garnish of chives or parsley.
Can you freeze sour cream noodle bake?
Keep the leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
While this recipe makes plenty, it’s a good idea to make an extra one to freeze for later.
You can freeze it before or after it has been baked. Thaw in the fridge overnight, then heat in the oven until it’s warm all of the way through. If you are storing individual portions, you can reheat the casserole in the microwave for a few seconds.
Tips for Making
- I like to use lean ground beef. You can even substitute ground turkey in this recipe. If there is a lot of grease in the pan after browning the meat, drain it before adding the marinara sauce.
- Swap in some ground sausage with or instead of your ground chuck/ground beef. This will add loads of flavor and a bit of spice.
- Some people like to use sharp cheddar cheese – this would be good also, but less like a traditional Italian dish.
- You may need to season the meat mixture with salt and black pepper to your desired taste.
Sour Cream Noodle Bake
- 8 oz. wide egg noodles cooked and drained (about ½ standard box/bag)
- 1 lb. ground beef
- ½ large yellow onion diced (about 1 cup)
- 3-4 cloves garlic minced
- 1- 24 oz. jar marinara sauce
- 8 oz. sour cream
- 8 oz. ricotta or small curd cottage cheese
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ cup chives or diced green onions
- 16 oz. mozzarella cheese grated
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cook pasta in a large pot of salted, boiling water to al dente according to package instructions. Drain pasta.
- In a large skillet, brown ground beef, diced onions, and garlic. Cook over medium high heat until the meat is no longer pink and the onions are tender.
- Add one 24 oz. jar of marinara sauce to the meat mixture and simmer for 5 minutes.
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir together the sour cream, ricotta, onion powder, garlic powder, and chives. Mix until combined.
- Toss together the noodles and sour cream mixture.
- In a 9×13 glass baking dish, layer half of the noodle mixture, half of the meat mixture, and ½ of the cheese. Repeat with a second layer.
- Bake 20-25 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and beginning to brown.
- Remove from the oven and serve immediately, garnished with a sprinkle of chives or parsley.
Make this recipe?
Share it with me on Instagram @girlinspired1 and follow on Pinterest for more!
Comments & Reviews
Eve B says
All ingredients my family loves. Definitely will keep the recipe handy.
So quick and easy, thanks so much!
My mouth is watering! You make such an easy recipe look like it’s gourmet…Yum! Going to have to try this one for sure!