Tips for Making a Swirled Rose Cake

I guess I’ve gotten a little behind in my March Inspiration posts, huh?  Eeek!  Just so much going on this month – I am so looking forward to spring break next week.  Less time driving every which way, more time for playing!!  Today’s post is a quickie – just a little tip for frosting one of those rose cakes that I love doing.  Why do I love them?  Because they look beautiful for any occasion AND you can frost one in less than 10 minutes.You’ll need a frosting that holds its shape pretty well – you know how much I love my swiss meringue buttercream, so I won’t go on and on about that, but it works perfectly for this cake.  I’ve also done one with chocolate and the swirls look so beautiful.

So once you have a crumb coating or a thin layer of frosting over the whole cake, grab a round cookie cutter about the size you want your roses to be.
Use the cutter (even a cup would work) to gently indent the frosting to outline where each rose will go.  Continue around the whole cake, trying to leave as little space as possible between each rose.
Now, you’re ready to make your roses.  I like using the extra large piping tips – a closed star tip is used to make these roses (and actually, mine looks like it’s a tad smashed in on the top, but you get the idea)- you can get piping tips at many large craft stores or online and they’re really inexpensive.
Starting in the center of each circle outline, begin piping a circular swirl outward until you reach the outer border of the circle.  Then, move right on to the next circle.
By marking the circle outlines ahead of time, you should be able to keep your roses nice and evenly sized and spaced!
That’s it for now!  Have fun!!  If you missed it, also visit the detailed post on the full Dinner Party Hot Cocoa Bar.

Like making beautiful cakes?

Here are some other tutorials to inspire you!

Image Map

Comments

1. sweeter than cupcakes says:

I’ve done a rose cake before, but I didn’t think to mark out the circles beforehand. Great tip!

2. que linda torta

3. Angelina- JoJo & Eloise says:

You make it look so EASY!!! I totally stink at cake decorating. I fear my Roses would look like they have just died and nobody would want to eat my cake!! {LOL!} I would Love to take a cake decorating class for fun! You did a Beautiful job! Great tip as well.
    xo
    Angelina

4. Angelina- JoJo & Eloise says:

xo
    Angelina

5. Angelina- JoJo & Eloise says:

xo
    Angelina

6. It is so pretty! Thanks for the tips!!

7. Christene says:

can you make one for me?

8. Oh, I love the tip to use the cookie cutter for marking the circles! And this cake is so lovely. =)

9. Wanda Ann Olsen says:

So Beautiful and Great tips. I would love for you to link up to my party going on now over at http://www.memoriesbythemile.com/
    Wanda Ann @ Memories by the Mile

10. Sew Much Ado says:

Ooh, so beautiful! I want to make one for Lola’s first birthday – thanks for all the tips!

11. Creations By Cindy says:

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE! I would have never thought about using the cookie cutter! Thanks so much for the tip! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

12. Gorgeous cake! Which tip did you use exactly? You said a large open-star, but is yours a certain number?

Danielle at Framed Frosting

• girlinspired says:

Hi Danielle! I think I used tip 1M – hope that helps!

• Beautiful cake! i was wondering if your strawberry dream frosting would hold up well enough for the swirled roses?

• girlinspired says:

Hey Khadija – I think that the strawberry dream frosting would definitely work for swirled roses. Some people have had trouble with that frosting getting too soft, but as long as you’re working in a cooler room and don’t let the butter get toooo soft, it should work great!

13. Michelle rowley says:

Hi this is a stunning cake!
    Would this work with buttercream icing? Or would it slide off the sides? If so what other icings would work?
    Thanks xx

14. How do you do the cake part trying to find the recipie?

15. This looks fantastic!

16. What size cookie cutter did you use to make the markings?

• Linda billingsley says:

I want to make the whole side of a wedding tier one gigantic rosette. What size cutter do I need if the tier is Four inches in height. Also what size tip is to be used. Thank you linda

• girlinspired says:

Hi Linda, I like tip 1M – it’s one of the larger size tips. As far as the cutter, I think you’d just need to hold the cutter up to the side of the tier and decide what size is going to fit the way you like it! Have fun!

17. With determination to make my own sweets and cakes at my DIY vintage themed wedding, i am VERY excited to try this one out!! cant wait, thank you! i’ve seen a few other tutorials but i haven’t seen one that used a circle cookie cutter to help keep organized and each rose the same size! (perfect for my ocd that would set in if i noticed one too big or too small lol) thank you! :D

18. Taijuana sylvester says:

What is the best frosting to use to make the swirls?

• girlinspired says:

Hi there, I would use a frosting appropriate for decorating – a buttercream would work without fail, I think!