Tips for Making a Swirled Rose Cake

How to Make a Swirled Rose Cake!

I guess I’ve gotten a little behind in my March Inspiration posts, huh?  Eeek!  Just so much going on this month – I am so looking forward to spring break next week.  Less time driving every which way, more time for playing!!  Today’s post is a quickie – just a little tip for frosting one of those rose cakes that I love doing.  Why do I love them?  Because they look beautiful for any occasion AND you can frost one in less than 10 minutes.

How to Make a Swirled Rose Cake!You’ll need a frosting that holds its shape pretty well – you know how much I love my swiss meringue buttercream, so I won’t go on and on about that, but it works perfectly for this cake.  I’ve also done one with chocolate and the swirls look so beautiful.

So once you have a crumb coating or a thin layer of frosting over the whole cake, grab a round cookie cutter about the size you want your roses to be.
Use the cutter (even a cup would work) to gently indent the frosting to outline where each rose will go.  Continue around the whole cake, trying to leave as little space as possible between each rose.
Tips 1M and 2D for cake and cupcake decorating
Now, you’re ready to make your roses.  I like using the extra large piping tips – a closed star tip (2D)  was used to make these roses but 1M also works GREAT – you can get piping tips at many large craft stores or online and they’re really inexpensive.
Starting in the center of each circle outline, begin piping a circular swirl outward until you reach the outer border of the circle.  Then, move right on to the next circle.
How to Make a Swirled Rose Cake!
By marking the circle outlines ahead of time, you should be able to keep your roses nice and evenly sized and spaced!
How to Make a Swirled Rose Cake!
That’s it for now!  Have fun!!  If you missed it, also visit the detailed post on the full Dinner Party Hot Cocoa Bar.

Like making beautiful cakes?

Here are some other tutorials to inspire you!

Ombre Cake

Sugar Butterflies

Ruffle Cakes

Image Map

Comments

1. sweeter than cupcakes says

I’ve done a rose cake before, but I didn’t think to mark out the circles beforehand. Great tip!

2. Angelina- JoJo & Eloise says

You make it look so EASY!!! I totally stink at cake decorating. I fear my Roses would look like they have just died and nobody would want to eat my cake!! {LOL!} I would Love to take a cake decorating class for fun! You did a Beautiful job! Great tip as well.
    xo
    Angelina

3. Angelina- JoJo & Eloise says

xo
    Angelina

4. Angelina- JoJo & Eloise says

xo
    Angelina

5. Creations By Cindy says

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE! I would have never thought about using the cookie cutter! Thanks so much for the tip! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Hey Khadija – I think that the strawberry dream frosting would definitely work for swirled roses. Some people have had trouble with that frosting getting too soft, but as long as you’re working in a cooler room and don’t let the butter get toooo soft, it should work great!

6. Michelle rowley says

Hi this is a stunning cake!
    Would this work with buttercream icing? Or would it slide off the sides? If so what other icings would work?
    Thanks xx

• Linda billingsley says

I want to make the whole side of a wedding tier one gigantic rosette. What size cutter do I need if the tier is Four inches in height. Also what size tip is to be used. Thank you linda

Hi Linda, I like tip 1M – it’s one of the larger size tips. As far as the cutter, I think you’d just need to hold the cutter up to the side of the tier and decide what size is going to fit the way you like it! Have fun!

7. Jessica says

With determination to make my own sweets and cakes at my DIY vintage themed wedding, i am VERY excited to try this one out!! cant wait, thank you! i’ve seen a few other tutorials but i haven’t seen one that used a circle cookie cutter to help keep organized and each rose the same size! (perfect for my ocd that would set in if i noticed one too big or too small lol) thank you! 😀

Hi there, I would use a frosting appropriate for decorating – a buttercream would work without fail, I think!

8. Monia says

Hi There,

If I use the swiss buttercream, am I able to make this cake the day before and store in the fridge until the next day for the party? If so, will it soften up in time if I leave it out for a couple hours?

Thank you very much! Going to try the swiss buttercream and the rose design next weekend. Thanks!! :)

9. Beth Grange says

Hi,
    Just wondering if you could help me with an icing question :-) I’ve been using a Wilton 2D tip to ice my cupcakes following this method for a while, but recently it has started to do something weird to the icing. It seems to be splitting into separate streams and doing what I can only describe as ‘ribboning’, instead of sticking together as one stream. Any idea what might be happening?

Hi Beth, I know exactly what you’re talking about. Sometimes, if the icing isn’t completely smooth – like a little clump of sugar or butter is in there – I’ve noticed it will stick in the spaces of the tip and make the icing split and stream out. Also, I think if the tip gets bent in a little over time, it won’t pipe out as smoothly. I would suggest trying a brand new 2D tip – or try the 1M – it gives almost the same look but is a bit more open and forgiving.