Ready to Bustle?

I promised I’d tell you how to make the skirt of the princess gown, so here goes.  I assembled the whole dress and did the bustling last.
  • Assemble dress, making sure that you have a very full skirt.  I used a full width of the fabric for both the front and the back of the dress skirt – I didn’t measure the fabric, but it was probably 45″-50″ wide or so.  So, the full circumfrence of the skirt would be around 90″ – a very full skirt!!
  • Find and mark the top and bottom center of the front of the skirt.
  • Measure the distance from the center to the side.  Divide by 3 and mark along the bottom of the skirt.  So, let’s say that the distance from the center to the side is 24″.  You’re going to mark every 8″ – the center, at 8″ over from the center, at 16″ over from the center, and at the side seam (24″).  Repeat for the other front half.
  • Mark 6″ up from the bottom at each side seam.  Then, 9″.  Then 12″.  Then 16″ at the center.  These increments may vary depending on the length of the dress you’re making.  I made about a 2T/3T.  The top of my center point (16″ from the bottom) was about 3 1/4″ down from the top of the skirt.

• Sew two parallel lines (using a gathering, or a loose, stitch) straight down from the top mark to the bottom.  Secure your thread at the top so that you can scrunch it up without the bobbin threads pulling loose.
  • Now scrunch…cinch…whatever you wanna call it!  Be sure you scrunch all of your bustles an even amount.  The finished length of my scrunched portions were about 2 1/2″.
  • Secure the threads.  I tried to just tie triple knots in the thread, but it didn’t seem to hold well.  So, I ran a regular stitch down the center of my scrunched portions and that did the trick.
  • Fluff and wear!!

Comments

1. very beautiful!! Lovely party as well!

2. Kristie-Creating Chaos says:

I love it! I can’t wait to make my own. Mina will love it.

3. Jessica at Me Sew Crazy says:

this knocked me out – could she look anymore like a real princess? incredible!!!

4. Hi Stef, this is adorable. I’m just stopping by to say how delightful your blog is. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris

5. Simple Simon & Co says:

I really think this is one of my favorite dresses and photo shoots ever. It’s just so cute.

When I saw your post yesterday I had to call Elizabeth and tell her that you had actually made 3 dresses for the party not just the 2 we had seen previously. Honestly I don’t know how you did it all. You are amazing.
      liZ

6. Simple Simon & Co says:

liZ

7. Simple Simon & Co says:

liZ

8. Cassandra says:

Oh… this just gushes with gorgeousness!!! I love it!

9. Anonymous says:

You are simply amazing… I would love to have an inch of your talent – thank you for sharing

10. zanonymarts says:

Just wahou !!!!

11. May I ask what pattern you used for the princess dress? I really like it, especially the tulle underneath. I have just found your blog and am a new sewer, so I am really enjoying your tutorials. I’m going to try the men’s shirt dress tomorrow (just have to figure out shirring). I have been looking at princess dresses for my daughter’s birthday and it’s really hard to judge by looking at patterns at the store. I’d like to make one that someone recommends :) Thanks for a great blog! Definitely adding it to my favorites :)

12. Oh, I forgot to give you my email. katedruchniak@gmail.com (if you could share where the pattern for the princess dress is from?) Also, I’ve finished a men’s shirty dress and it was SOOO much fun and is deliciously adorable! I added puffy sleeves and a bit of eyelet lace around the neck. Ahhhh….in love with sewing :)

13. Leslie :) says:

So cute! I need those cake stands! Where did you find them??

14. Mammy Made says:

Hiya babe. Just wanted to let you know that I featured this on my blog yesterday. Too cute!! I would love it if you could check it out and grab my button :)

- Adele @ Mammy Made

15. this is absolutely the sweetest thing Stef! I am so thankful you shared it with SewSet. I featured it as one of today’s top patterns. L-o-v-e.

Thank you again!
      - Jess, SewSet.com

16. This dress is so precious! I would love to make one for my daughter, but I am new to sewing. Would you be able to give me an idea of how you made the entire dress? Were you working off of a pattern?

17. Just discovered your Website through Pinterest. And I LOVE it! If it’s pink with ruffles, lace and goo-gaws, I love it! I’ve even posted the URL to my Facebook home page for those like me.

18. No matter if some one searches for his necessary thing, thus he/she
      needs to be available that in detail, so that thing is maintained over here.
      Also visit my blog :: buy african mango plus

19. Love this!! Question on the tulle underlayer, did you just make a skirt sort of similar to the ruffled pettiskirt? Except not ruffled? Does that make sense? LOVE your blog…so so cute! Thanks for all the wonderful inspiration.

• Hi Paige,

Yes, very similar to the pettiskirt tutorial, except all of the layers were one length. You will need an underskirt layer (soft against the skin), two layers of a stiff tulle, and 2-3 layers of the fluffier, lightweight tulle. Stack them all, gather them all, sew them onto a waistband! If your underskirt isn’t fluffy enough or stiff enough to hold out the skirt of the gown, you’re not going to get the same effect! It kind of needs to be a heavy duty underskirt! Have fun!

20. I absolutely love this dress and am hoping to make a version of this for my daughter’s 3rd birthday. What pattern did you use for the actual dress part? Thank you!

• Dodie Winebrenner says:

I love this dress. I have three granddaughters I am sure would love it as well. I am wondering if a hoop sewn in the underskirt layer would help the tulle fluff more and be able to hold the satan weight of the skirt better so it would stand out, thus you would not have to have so much tulle scrunched up around the waist?

21. Kristin Kirch says:

Gorgeous!!!!!!!! I love this dress. I am going to plan a whole party around it. :) THank you so much for your tutorial!!

22. Mandy Saunders says:

Wow. Just wow. That dress looks straight from Disney, but classier. Until now I didn’t realize that was possible. So awesome.

23. Mandy Saunders says:

24. Mama Pixie says:

Are you aware that there is a page on Facebook using your photograph of your daughter as their profile picture, claiming they can order this dress for customers?

25. Wow!
      So cute.
      Is this the princess?

26. Thank you for this tutorial! You helped me make the first princess dress for my daughter!

27. Rosnéia Toneti Barboza says:

Muito lindo….um sonho….

28. Do u think u can make one for my little girl? Her birthday is in march I would so pay for if u make it!!!! Can u email me ……bgina83@aol.com

• girlinspired says:

Hi Gina,

Unfortunatley, I’m no longer taking custom clothing orders. I hope you find the perfect outfit for your little girls birthday! xo, Stef

1. [...] among the little girls in my life and I receive frequent emails asking for a pattern for the other princess dress I designed more than a year ago.  So, I’m happy to give you all the tools you’ll need [...]

2. [...] If your cutie wants to be her OWN princess you could use Girl Inspired tutorial to make her a princess dress in her favorite colors. Tutorial HERE [...]

3. […] If you sew, I have a tutorial for the skirt portion of the dress, which is can be found here: http://thegirlinspired.com/2012/02/ready-to-bustle/ I hope your Royal Birthday Princess Party is a […]