Ready to Bustle?

Tutorial for the skirt of this Gorgeous Princess Gown!
I promised I’d tell you how to make the skirt of the princess gown, so here goes.  You can use your favorite dress pattern for the bodice and sleeves, this tutorial will cover how to create the skirt portion of the dress.  The dress should be worn over a very full pettiskirt/tutu to really get the lifted effect.  I assembled the whole dress and did the bustling last.
Princess Gown Tutorial - learn how to sew the skirt for a gorgeous princess gown!
  • Assemble dress, making sure that you have a very full skirt.  I used a full width of the fabric for both the front and the back of the dress skirt – I didn’t measure the fabric, but it was probably 45″-50″ wide or so.  So, the full circumfrence of the skirt would be around 90″ – a very full skirt!!  Gather the skirt and attach it to the bodice – here’s a more detailed tutorial on gathering – How  To Gather Fabric

• Find and mark the top and bottom center of the front of the skirt.
  • Measure the distance from the center to the side.  Divide by 3 and mark along the bottom of the skirt.  So, let’s say that the distance from the center to the side is 24″.  You’re going to mark every 8″ – the center, at 8″ over from the center, at 16″ over from the center, and at the side seam (24″).  Repeat for the other front half.
  • Mark 6″ up from the bottom at each side seam.  Then, 9″.  Then 12″.  Then 16″ at the center.  These increments may vary depending on the length of the dress you’re making.  I made about a 2T/3T.  The top of my center point (16″ from the bottom) was about 3 1/4″ down from the top of the skirt.
  • Sew two parallel lines (using a gathering, or a loose, stitch) straight down from the top mark to the bottom.  Secure your thread at the top so that you can scrunch it up without the bobbin threads pulling loose.
  • Now scrunch…cinch…whatever you wanna call it!  Be sure you scrunch all of your bustles an even amount.  The finished length of my scrunched portions were about 2 1/2″.
  • Secure the threads.  I tried to just tie triple knots in the thread, but this won’t hold. Stitch using a regular stitch right down the center of the gathered portions; be sure to backstitch at the beginning and end of the section.
  • Fluff and wear!!
Tutorial for the skirt of this Gorgeous Princess Gown!
You might also like:
Make princess crowns from Lace!!
Make this BEAUTIFUL tutu tablecloth!

Comments

1. Simple Simon & Co says

I really think this is one of my favorite dresses and photo shoots ever. It’s just so cute.

When I saw your post yesterday I had to call Elizabeth and tell her that you had actually made 3 dresses for the party not just the 2 we had seen previously. Honestly I don’t know how you did it all. You are amazing.
    liZ

2. Simple Simon & Co says

liZ

3. Kate says

May I ask what pattern you used for the princess dress? I really like it, especially the tulle underneath. I have just found your blog and am a new sewer, so I am really enjoying your tutorials. I’m going to try the men’s shirt dress tomorrow (just have to figure out shirring). I have been looking at princess dresses for my daughter’s birthday and it’s really hard to judge by looking at patterns at the store. I’d like to make one that someone recommends :) Thanks for a great blog! Definitely adding it to my favorites :)

4. Kate says

Oh, I forgot to give you my email. katedruchniak@gmail.com (if you could share where the pattern for the princess dress is from?) Also, I’ve finished a men’s shirty dress and it was SOOO much fun and is deliciously adorable! I added puffy sleeves and a bit of eyelet lace around the neck. Ahhhh….in love with sewing :)

5. Sew Set says

this is absolutely the sweetest thing Stef! I am so thankful you shared it with SewSet. I featured it as one of today’s top patterns. L-o-v-e.

Thank you again!
    - Jess, SewSet.com

6. Jackie says

This dress is so precious! I would love to make one for my daughter, but I am new to sewing. Would you be able to give me an idea of how you made the entire dress? Were you working off of a pattern?

7. Jane J. says

Just discovered your Website through Pinterest. And I LOVE it! If it’s pink with ruffles, lace and goo-gaws, I love it! I’ve even posted the URL to my Facebook home page for those like me.

8. Paige says

Love this!! Question on the tulle underlayer, did you just make a skirt sort of similar to the ruffled pettiskirt? Except not ruffled? Does that make sense? LOVE your blog…so so cute! Thanks for all the wonderful inspiration.

• says

Hi Paige,

Yes, very similar to the pettiskirt tutorial, except all of the layers were one length. You will need an underskirt layer (soft against the skin), two layers of a stiff tulle, and 2-3 layers of the fluffier, lightweight tulle. Stack them all, gather them all, sew them onto a waistband! If your underskirt isn’t fluffy enough or stiff enough to hold out the skirt of the gown, you’re not going to get the same effect! It kind of needs to be a heavy duty underskirt! Have fun!

9. Liz says

I absolutely love this dress and am hoping to make a version of this for my daughter’s 3rd birthday. What pattern did you use for the actual dress part? Thank you!

• Dodie Winebrenner says

I love this dress. I have three granddaughters I am sure would love it as well. I am wondering if a hoop sewn in the underskirt layer would help the tulle fluff more and be able to hold the satan weight of the skirt better so it would stand out, thus you would not have to have so much tulle scrunched up around the waist?

10. Kristin Kirch says

Gorgeous!!!!!!!! I love this dress. I am going to plan a whole party around it. :) THank you so much for your tutorial!!

11. Mandy Saunders says

Wow. Just wow. That dress looks straight from Disney, but classier. Until now I didn’t realize that was possible. So awesome.

12. Mandy Saunders says

Hi Gina,

Unfortunatley, I’m no longer taking custom clothing orders. I hope you find the perfect outfit for your little girls birthday! xo, Stef