strawberry dream frosting

This frosting is so delicious and super quick to whip up.  I’d recommend you memorize the recipe and keep the ingredients on hand for those emergency late night sugar cravings.  Or you can behave yourself and save the recipe for a special occasion (or is that redundant?)  Oh well, whenever you choose to use it, this recipe is a keeper. for sure.
speaking of keepers, humor me here…is she not the cutest thing ever?
I first found the basic “Almost Homemade Buttercream” recipe in my Hello, Cupcake book.  Since then, I’ve seen the recipe in several places, so you may already be familiar with it.
  • Whip two containers of marshmallow creme in your mixer.
  • Adding one tablespoon at a time, gradually mix in 3 sticks (1-1/2 cups) softened, unsalted butter.  Beat well.
  •  Add 1/2 c. powdered sugar and beat in.
  • (If you’re not making strawberry frosting, add 1/2 t. vanilla extract).  This vanilla version is heavenly on lemon cake – just sayin’.
  • Now, the simple strawberry part.  Add 1/2-1 teaspoon of strawberry extract (to taste) and a very small dot of pink gel food coloring.
The extract has a pink tint, but I wanted just a bit more color.  This frosting is very soft because it’s pretty much just butter, but if you work in a cool room, it really pipes out nicely.  If it gets too soft, I’d recommend putting your mixing bowl into the fridge for a while to firm it up some, then rewhip it before piping.  I added some clear sugar crystals and halved strawberries on the top of my cupcakes.  They were delicious!!
Who’s making cupcakes tonight?  Anyone?  Do you have a favorite go-to frosting recipe?
Please note:  This recipe is essentially just butter and marshmallow fluff – it will melt if room temperature is too warm!  They do need refrigeration!  They will melt in the sun!  If your butter is too soft when you mix up the recipe – the frosting will be too soft!  That said, I’ve used this recipe dozens of times with perfect piping results!

Need more delicious AND beautiful dessert ideas?  Try these:

Image Map

Comments

1. Thanks SO much for posting! Can’t wait to try it. Your Blog is one of my favorites!

2. Kristie-Creating Chaos says:

Ohmigosh, those look amazing. I think I’ll make some for the fourth. Or today and hope some lasts until then. ^-^ Thanks for sharing.

3. Amy at Ameroonie Designs says:

Yum! Pretty much all I have to say.
    xoxo,
    Amy

4. Samantha says:

I tried to email you but it wouldn’t allow me to, something about not being installed correctly. But my question was is your frosting “non dairy” my son doesnt like most frosting/icing. A friend of mine bought some pre-made cupcakes that had “non dairy” icing, my son loved it. Im wanting to make cupcakes for my sons birthday, and wanted to use the “non dairy” do you have suggestions or a recipe? THANKS!

5. Kristie-Creating Chaos says:

I just made it! It tastes amazing. I ended up using more confectioners’ sugar because it turned out really soft. Then I reread the post and popped it in the fridge so hopefully that will help. Thanks again for sharing!

6. I cannot wait to try this! Whipped cream cheese frosting is usually my favorite. Thank you for sharing! LOVE your blog!

7. lorien's blueberry cake says:

Oh!! Another delish recipe to try! I’ve been making lots of strawberry cupcakes for summer market stalls, so this will be perfect.

I have to hunt out marshmallow fluff though, it’s not often you see it here in the UK :( Thanks so much for sharing the recipe!!
    Lxo

8. Hi Katie,

I don’t think I frosted a whole batch of cupcakes with the big fluffy swirls. To be safe, I would double the recipe to have enough to make the big tops on a batch of 24 cupcakes.

9. katiestonge says:

Does anyone know how many cupcakes it will frost?

10. LOVE,LOVE,LOVE this recipe..thank you for sharing! the family enjoyed!!! Deeeelish!!!

11. Is marshmello creme the same as fluff?????

12. Yes, the creme is the same as fluff. That whipped up stuff that comes in the pint-size containers.

13. So, it’s two pints of the marshmallow fluff?

14. You need a total of 16 oz. for the recipe – I’m going to guess that is 1 tall container or two short ones.

15. The Jensen's says:

Thank you so much! This looks SO yummy. I know there are 2 sizes of the fluff…do you use 2 of the tall one or the short one?

16. The Jensen's says:

awesome, thank you!

• Have you had any problems with the store bought butter separating? It appears that the butter makers are adding more water to their recipes. I’ve always used Blue Bell. Do you suggest another brand?

17. Anonymous says:

This is so runny and messy! Ran right off the cupcakes followed the recipe perfect it looked awful! Upside it taste really good!

• I totally agree with you. It was very runny and ran right off the cupcakes. I had to add so much sugar it altered the taste. Would not spend the money to try it again.

18. Just made this! It was great! It turned out perfectly soft and fluffy. I put it on a cake but I kept thinking it would be even better on cupcakes. Yummy! I found you via Pinterest, thanks for sharing!

19. Sweet Flamingo Cake Co. says:

Is this shelf stable?

20. Does this frosting need to be refrigerated after you have iced the cupcakes since there is butter in the recipe?

Thank you….

21. Sweet Flamingo Cake Co. says:

I asked a while ago, I’m going to assume it needs refrigeration being that the ratio of fats/dairy to sugar is high. I don’t think there is enough sugar for stabilization.

22. I tried this with peppermint, and it was absolutely to die for. Also, I found that if stiffened up nicely as long as I beat it for a few minutes after I had added all my ingredients. Thank you for this fabulous recipe!

23. those look absolutely scrumptuous and I would love to eat all of them! cupcakes are the best!

24. i had a problem with it being runny with using two small containers of fluff…but i noticed it was a really good consistancy when i was half way through the butter so i’m wondering if it’s not two big containers?! i’m going to try again with 1/2 the butter and two small ones because i only need a little bit!?

25. I made the vanilla version tonight. I used one 16oz container of marshmallow fluff. I noticed that two small containers is only 14 oz., so those that had issue with consistency, that could explain it. Mine turn out perfect. I may never use another frosting recipe, ever. Yum!

26. On the butter making it runny response,you should try real butter if you can,makes a better consistency for any frosting.

27. i wonder how much time the frosting can be at room temperature? or at a hot temperature? like a humid weather. thanks for responding

• girlinspired says:

Hi Emi, This isn’t a great frosting to use in direct sunlight or in hot weather. It holds up fine in a cool indoor space – say, 70 degrees, but once it gets closer to 80 degrees, it just gets really soft. I’m in a very dry climate so I can’t speak to a humid environment. But, it definitely tastes delicious!! :)

28. Can’t wait to try this. It looks sooooo good!!!!

29. I tried this recipe, but i guess my kitchen was too warm. the frosting was really liqiudy, so i regrigerated and rewhipped it but it didnt help, i dont know how it looks so pref in the pics!

• girlinspired says:

Hey Kat, Your best bet is to not let the butter soften too much before whipping it all up. Use firmer butter and see if you get a better result! Good luck!

1. […] Find the recipe at :  thegirlinspired.com […]