This tender cube steak crock pot recipe makes the best comfort food and is an easy recipe when it comes to prep work and cleanup. Each bite is hearty and smothered in a flavorful gravy that is made from scratch! It’s a set-and-forget-it type meal that is perfect when you have a busy day but still want a delicious home-cooked dish.
Cube steak is a favorite easy slow cooker recipe of ours, especially for Sunday dinner! My favorite part of this recipe is the simplicity. Literally, everything goes in the pot and is ready in 6-8 hours. This beats the heck out of searing meat in a large skillet on the stovetop and having to stand over it for hours at a time.
The perfect side for this comfort food classic is a no-brainer…mashed potatoes! The rich gravy compliments them so well. Don’t forget the buttery dinner rolls for those who like to mop the gravy up! We also like glazed carrots, Instant Pot corn on the cob, and air fryer green beans as less starchy veggies.
- It’s a no-fuss weeknight dinner recipe that the whole family loves.
- Cube steak is a cheaper cut of meat, so this meal is budget-friendly.
- The slow cooking method makes each bite super tender and there’s no need to sear the meat ahead of time.
What Ingredients do I Need for Crockpot Cubed Steak?
- onion – cut the onions into fairly large chunks. They will break down and caramelize in the crockpot, but they act as a lift or stand for the meat (along with the mushrooms) so that it doesn’t burn on the bottom of the slow cooker.
- fresh mushrooms – we like using cremini or baby bella mushrooms
- cube steak – this is an inexpensive cut of meat that has already been punched or pounded with a meat tenderizer at the butcher. It lends itself well to getting super tender meat without the high price tag.
- packet Lipton onion soup mix – you can also use this homemade onion soup mix recipe.
- can cream of mushroom soup – this adds flavor, thickness, and a creamy element to the dish
- black pepper and seasoned salt – for seasoning, we keep it nice and simple; you get a lot of seasoning from the onion soup mix as well.
- cornstarch and cold water – to make a slurry to get a thick and creamy gravy.
Before You Start: If your cube steak is frozen, allow it to thaw in the fridge overnight before cooking.
How to Make the Easiest Crock Pot Cube Steak Recipe
Step 1: Place the large chunks of onion and mushrooms in the bottom of a 6-quart slow cooker.
Step 2: Layer the cube steaks on top of the vegetables – spread them out as much as possible, but they don’t necessarily have to be in a single layer.
Step 3: In a small bowl, whisk together the cream of mushroom soup, Lipton onion mix, water, seasoned salt, pepper, and minced garlic.
Step 4: Pour the mushroom sauce over the beef.
Step 5: Place the lid on top and cook for 8 hours on low or 6 hours on high. During the last hour, whisk together the cornstarch and water in a small bowl, then pour into the pot.
Step 6: Continue cooking until the gravy thickens. If you are cooking on low, change the temperature to high.
SERVE: We think the best way to serve this easy weeknight meal is over egg noodles, mashed potatoes, or white rice!
- Since we are cooking the meat for so long, the onions end up soft and caramelized.
- The longer you cook this cut of beef, the more tender it gets.
- Do not add any more salt to this recipe since we are adding the onion soup mix.
- You can also swap the cream of mushroom for the cream of celery soup if desired.
This is the same cut of meat you would use to make chicken fried steak!
Keep leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or freeze them for 1 month. If you are going to freeze, you can make an extra gravy recipe to use when you are ready to serve or use a store-bought packet of gravy mix.
This type of meat is one of the cheaper cuts of beef that comes from the top round steak or from top sirloin steaks. When you get it in the grocery store, it has already been pounded with a meat mallet, which they use as a meat tenderizer. It’s perfect for slow cooking because it gets tender every time. Other cooking methods may lead to tough cube steak.
Cube Steak Crock Pot Recipe
- 1 large onion sliced
- 8 oz. cremini or baby bella mushrooms sliced
- 1 ½ – 2 pounds cube steak
- 1 1 oz. packet onion soup mix
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup water
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch dissolved in 1 tablespoon water
- In a 6-Quart slow cooker, arrange the onion and mushroom pieces. Place the cube steak over the top of the vegetables. The steak pieces can layered.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together onion soup mix, cream of mushroom soup, water, black pepper, seasoned salt, and minced garlic.
- Pour soup mixture over the cube steak.
- Cover and cook on high for 6 hours or on low for 8 hours.
- During the last hour of cooking, whisk together the cornstarch and water and stir into the gravy mixture in the crockpot. Continue cooking (turning the slow cooker up to high if cooking on low) and cook for another 30 minutes – 1 hour, until the gravy thickens.
- Serve over egg noodles, rice, or mashed potatoes.
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 2-3 days or freeze for up to 1 month. The onions will take a while to cook down into nice soft caramelized onions.
Cube steak is an inexpensive cut of meat – the unique pattern comes from pre-grocery store tenderization. Because the meat is so tough, this tenderization allows you to have really inexpensive meat that also is tender. The longer you cook it, the more tender it will be, but I thought it was good at the 6-hour mark.
This is an easy comfort meal.
Because we’re adding the onion soup mix, do not add more salt to the recipe than the specified ½ teaspoon seasoned salt.
You can also substitute cream of celery soup for the cream of mushroom.