Coffee cake in a mug is an easy single-serving dessert that is made with simple ingredients, guaranteeing to satisfy your sweet tooth! This sweet treat is topped with a crumbly streusel and sweet glaze that is full of cinnamon sugar flavor.
Mug cake recipes are such an easy dessert, but this delicious coffee cake also makes the perfect breakfast in just 11 minutes. Making these is an easy way to still have a special treat while monitoring portion control. Single-serving recipes are also great because you don’t have to wait as long or make a whole batch when you want something right then.
What do I Need for this Recipe?
- Cake Layer:
- flour – we used all-purpose.
- cinnamon – gives the cake that signature flavor.
- baking powder – helps the mug cake rise and keeps it fluffy.
- sugar – you’ll need white and light brown sugar.
- salt – brings out other flavors.
- butter – melt it first.
- milk – we used whole milk.
- Streusel Ingredients:
- all-purpose flour
- light brown sugar
- ground cinnamon
- melted butter
- Glaze Ingredients:
- powdered sugar
Drizzle the top with a little caramel sauce, maple syrup, a few chopped nuts, or serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Microwavable mug – I recommend using coffee mugs that can hold 6-8 ounces.
Variations and Substitutions:
- Gluten-Free – use a gluten-free all-purpose flour such as Bob’s Red Mill.
Step 1: In a single mug, stir together the dry ingredients.
Step 2: Add the melted butter and milk, and stir to form the batter.
Step 3: In a separate bowl, combine the ingredients for the streusel topping to make a crumble.
Step 4: Sprinkle it over the top of the cake.
Pro Tip: Use a knife or fork to gently swirl the streusel just into the top of the batter.
Step 5: Microwave for 60 seconds to 1 minute 15 seconds.
Step 6: Whisk together the powdered sugar and milk in another bowl to make the glaze, then drizzle over the top.
SERVE: Enjoy it as an easy breakfast or a simple and delicious dessert.
- Microwave mug cakes cook best in a mug that is not tapered, but that is the same size from top to bottom.
- This delicious cake can be served warm or cold.
- Placing a paper towel in the microwave before the mug is a great idea in case it were to cook over.
- Cooking time may vary based on microwave wattage. The cake is done when you can insert a toothpick and it comes out clean.
- We do not recommend using a smaller mug considering the batter doubles or triples in size when cooking.
- Do not double the ingredients in one mug. If you’d like a larger mug cake, make 2 or more in separate mugs.
Coffee cakes were never intended to have coffee in them. Instead, the idea was to serve it with your coffee.
Cover the mug tightly with plastic wrap or transfer it to an airtight container and keep it on the counter for up to 3 days.
While coffee cake can have a streusel topping, streusel itself is a type of topping or filling that can be used in a variety of baked goods.
Be sure to measure the ingredients correctly. Adding too much flour can cause the cake to be dry.
Avoid over-mixing the batter, this can make the cake tough or rubbery.
Double-check that the baking powder has not expired.
Do not over-microwave the cake. If needed, start with 30-second increments and work your way up since all microwaves cook differently.
Coffee Cake in a Mug
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 3 tablespoons whole milk
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon melted butter
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon milk
- Stir together the dry ingredients in a 6-8 oz. microwave-safe mug.
- Add milk and melted butter to the mug and stir to make a batter.
- In a separate bowl, use your fingers or a fork to mix together the streusel ingredients to form a crumble. Sprinkle the crumble over the top of the batter in the mug. Use a knife or fork to gently swirl the streusel just into the top of the batter.
- Microwave 1 minute – 1 minute 15 seconds.
- Whisk together glaze ingredients in a small bowl and drizzle over the mug cake.