Princess Crowns Tutorial

Lace Crown DIY - so cute!!

One of my most favorite DIY projects EVER are the lace princess crowns I made for the girls’ birthday parties.  I was pretty pleased with myself last year when I made the first set of crowns, adding color and glitter to the ideas I’d seen online.  Since then, I’ve made several more crowns and after Addison’s Princess and the Popstar party a couple weeks ago, I have some updates to my original tutorial to share.

Lace Crown DIY - so cute!!

Lace Crown DIY - so cute!!

• Choosing Synthetic laces vs. cotton lace – the synthetic laces seem to hold their intricate detail/shape better than the soft cotton laces, such as the vintage trims I used in the past.  Look for wider designs with a lot of variation in the trim for taller crowns.
  • Saturate the trim in fabric stiffener, swipe off excess with your fingers, lay the lace flat to dry in a straight line on waxed paper.  Turn several times to ensure all of the holes in the lace are clear of excess stiffener.
  • This is an excellent summertime project (particularly here in the dry heat of CA – not sure how humidity effects drying time).  I was able to add stiffener, dry out the lace, paint, and glitter the crowns all within about a half a day.  When I made them previously in January, it took several days.  After each step, I set the lace outside to dry – temperature was about 90 degrees that day.
  • Apply one coat of acrylic paint to both sides in the same color as the glitter you’d like to apply.  Allow to dry.
  • To add glitter:  choose a very fine glitter – this makes all the difference.  This glitter from Martha Stewart Crafts worked a million times better than anything else I’ve tried.

Lace Crown DIY - so cute!!

Lace Crown DIY - so cute!!

• Use a foam brush to apply a thin layer of Mod Podge over the painted lace.  Sprinkle with glitter.  Shake off excess glitter.  Set out to dry (this doesn’t take long).  Flip over.  Apply a layer of glitter to the other side.

Lace Crown DIY - so cute!!

• Immediately overlap and hot glue the ends of the lace together to form a circle.  Use this tip to dry the crown into the perfect circular shape.  Set outside to dry for several hours or overnight.
  • Store crowns the same way you dried them.  I have mine all stacked on one take-out container after the next.

Lace Crown DIY - so cute!!

Lace Crown DIY - so cute!!

Lace Crown DIY - so cute!!

Super cute, right?  I love these crowns!!!  And I love knowing that I can make them in a snap in this hot weather!  Have you made one yet?

For more details and pictured instructions, you can see my original tutorial here.

Comments

These are super adorable and look easy enough. Do you think I can save this tutorial under my “crafts” favorites and still have it 20 years from now when I may have granddaughters?? :)

I’m sure you can still use it in 20 years, Kristin! hahaha! But, your girls aren’t really that old, are they? I bet they’d have fun making some – and then you all can just wear them in secret around the house!

• says

Thanks for the laugh! Yes, my girls are almost 11 and 14. I tell them they will have all they need for their grandchildren between my skills from my etsy shop and all the great tutorials I save! I follow you and Jess (and others) but do I ever sew clothes? No. When they were young I focused on them and doing little projects around the house– (painting, baby bedding, couch slipcover, chair cushions, curtains, even a stuffed children’s chair!) When I have grandchildren I will love making the clothes that I never did for my own girls and fun stuff like Lace Crowns when they come to visit “grandma”:)

I cant take it Stef – she is just the absolute cutest!!! I hope they didn’t cut any of her hair off – not a single lock today! Lol, this is just precious :)

Thanks Jess!! The “hair salon” was cleared of all sharp instruments before I left the room – hahahaha!

Showed this post to Em, and, as with all of your posts, she asked me to make her one NOW. Hmmmm maybe a trip to Michael’s for Mod Podge and glitter is in order…

Cracking up about Kristin’s ‘for the grandbabies in 20 years’ comment…. too funny! I must be irrationally childlike, or sumpthin’, cause I’m 38 and I want one of these!!! They’re so lovely and intricate! And thanks for adding the tips, because I’d surely have wasted tons of materials trying with cotton lace and ‘fat’ glitter. ;)

Hugs & Hope,
    rachel of OddModicum

5. Monica says

These are just the cutest!! Is there a place you could recommend getting the lace from? I’ve looked around a little and haven’t found any that isn’t all straight! Could be looking in the wrong place though. Thanks so much for a great tutorial!

Hi McKenzie and Monica…I’ve found some great laces at craft and hobby stores like Joanns. I also have a smaller, but chain-like fabric/craft store near me, Beverly’s, and they have some great laces. Look in the fabric trims department! Happy Shopping!

• theresa says

I’m not sure where you live, but in Bellmore, Long Island there is a store called “frills and things” where they have dozens of spools of lace, averaging less than 2$ a yard. They run from 1/4″ all the way up to 8″ wide. I purchased 5″ wide for $2.09/yd! Way better than Joanne’s prices.

6. Heather Smith says

Hi, these are adorable! I was wondering if fabric starch is the same thing as stiffener. If not, do you purchase stiffener at the craft or grocery store. Thanks in advance.

Hi Heather, I am actually not sure if liquid starch is the same as fabric stiffener. I would think they’d essentially do the same thing, but the stiffener really helps the fabric hold its shape – it is super stiff. I don’t know if you could accomplish the same stiffness with starch. I purchase fabric stiffener at any fabric store – I noticed that they also have it at Joann.com for super cheap! Hope that helps!

• says

I’ve used diluted Elmer’s Glue and diluted Mod Podge in place of fabric stiffener, and it’s worked great! I also used an inflated balloon to dry mine, but I like this take out container idea better!

I bought some lace last week and am sitting here right now making a few crowns for some heavenly princesses I know… including mine. I’m hoping the weather cooperates so I can get these finished for Christmas! :) Thank you for the tutorial and tips!

8. Tina says

Hi there! These are so stinkin cute. I found this through Pinterest and am making them for a themed work event actually around Royal Flush/Poker for the Queens. How do you fasten them to the head so they don’t fall when the person wearing them in moving and jumping around?

9. Nes says

Hi,

Might be a silly question but since the crowns are smaller than the childs head, did you secure it with bobby pins or how else is it secured to their head?

They are gorgeous! Hopefully making them for my daughter’s 1st birthday and for all her cousins!

Hi Nes, Yes, I just use bobby pins to secure it on. It helps if their hair is pulled up a bit into a little pony tail holder or something so the bobby pins have some secured hair to hook into. Have fun!

Love how simple this is! Making these for my twin nieces 1st birthday photo shoot coming up soon. Any ideas on fastening them on other than bobby pins? They don’t have much hair and its very thin. Thought about gluing it to a barrette some how but thought i’d ask if anyone had suggestions. Thanks in advance!

11. Danielle says

Hi! I Saw these on Pinterest and was immediately in love with them! Do you still recommend spray paint or did the normal acrylic paint work better?

Also, how did the glitter hold up? I LOVE glitter but it’s so temperamental I feel like I can never get it to stay in place!