Mud Pie – Make it!!

My husband and I met in college.  We didn’t share the same interests in school subjects, but we definitely shared a love of sweets.  After he graduated and moved 500 miles away, I would make late-night drives up for the weekends and during breaks to visit him – true love.  At the time, he was waiting tables while he navigated a path into the political world in Sacramento.  I dreaded the precious time that he had to spend at the restaurant when we had so little time together as it was, but he knew the way to keep me coming back – he always brought home a big, huge slice of mud pie.
Mmmmm, I have the best memories eating that pie together in the middle of the night, talking and laughing, and dreading the end of the weekend when I would have to head back down to school.  Sixteen years later, I still love to share some mud pie with my man after the kids are in bed.  We sneak the pie out of its hiding spot in the freezer and slice off a big piece.

Want to surprise someone with a homemade mud pie?

It’s super simple.

You will need:
1/2 package of Oreo cookies – crushed (food processor works best)
1/4 C. melted butter
4 ounces chocolate chips
2/3 C. heavy whipping cream
1 container of coffee or mocha almond fudge ice cream
heavy whipping cream – whipped with 1/4 c. powdered sugar to sweeten
almonds – chopped and roasted/toasted
  Crush your Oreo cookies and mix together with the melted butter.  Press into a pie plate – I like to use the disposable tin plates because you can pop the pie out for serving and it leaves a pretty fluted edge along the crust.  Bake crust at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes – it will start to smell yummy and get crispy.  Cool crust.  Make chocolate ganache by heating the heavy cream, pouring it over the chocolate chips, and then whisking the melty mixture until smooth.  Pour a 1/4-inch layer of ganache in the cooled cookie crust and spread across the bottom of the crust.  Chill in the freezer for 15 minutes.  Meanwhile, set out the container of ice cream to soften – mine was a bit too soft here – you want it soft enough to spread, but not melted.  Mound the ice cream into your chilled crust and spread gently into a domed pie shape.  Return to the freezer for at least 1 hour, or until ready to serve.  Pipe whipped cream in the center and around the perimeter of the pie.  Drizzle warmed ganache over the top.  Chop almonds and roast them at 350 degrees in the oven until they are browned and toasty.  Cool before sprinkling over the top of the pie.  Serve immediately.

Comments

1. sweeter than cupcakes says

Love your story! My husband and I dated long distance for most of our dating relationship too.

2. Charity says

I don’t believe I’ve ever had mud pie… but anything with ice cream is delicious in my book. I love the story you shared. =)

3. Kristy Denney says

Okay, this just looks delicious!! I’m part of the I heart nap time creative team, just wanted to stop by and say hi! pinned this, seriously, looks awesome!

4. Heather says

Stef, I stumbled upon this as I was looking up your “under the sea” cake since I’m going to attempt it for Madison’s birthday. I have to laugh because mud pie is my all time favorite and this so reminds me of the B&R days in high school on two levels…sneaking items from the freezer and the decorating mud pies w/ pastry pride. I have looked up how/where to buy pastry pride and you can’t buy it unless it’s wholesale. I hate how you can’t freeze real whipped cream but then again, it just forces you eat the whole pie at once this way!

Yes!!! B&R, those were the days! You can actually buy Pastry Pride from cake supply stores – it has different names, but I just ask for Pastry Pride and they don’t blink an eye. Cake Castle in Sac has it. I get mine from a place in Citrus Heights. I have some in the freezer right now…

• Tanya says

Looks great going to make it soon my fiance LOVES mud pie!!!! I use pastry pride on my cakes and i buy it from smart n final in freezer section! Not sure if ur near smart n final but its a great product hope u can find it :) thanks for the easy recipie!

Hi, just ran across your page and saw the Mud Pie recipe. Is there a way to copy it, instead of writing by hand or printing all the pages? Thanks for any help.

Hi Connie, Unfortunately, I don’t have my recipes plugged into a function that makes printing easier. It is definitely on my to-do list – thanks for the nudge! I hope you can still make the mud pie because it is super yummy! ;)