Golden milk, or turmeric milk, is traditionally an Indian drink, but its amazing health benefits have caught on and golden milk is quickly gaining popularity in mainstream U.S. Living with an autoimmune disease means that I am always looking for an extra boost to my immune system. I started making and drinking this golden milk recipe for immune support and its anti-inflammatory benefits though it has become a yummy, comforting addition to my afternoon routine.
Turmeric is the star of this delicious recipe as it gives the warm drink its golden color and a distinctive earthy flavor. I like to use freshly grated Turmeric (find this root in the fresh produce section of the grocery store), but you could also use ground Turmeric available in any spice aisle. Fresh ginger is also important to this recipe – I started buying the jars of fresh grated ginger from Trader Joe’s and it’s hugely convenient.
Milk options are entirely up to you. I drink and looooove cow’s milk and I like my Golden milk best when it has that creamy depth from a dairy base. Other milk winners include Coconut milk and Almond milk. Whatever it is that you usually drink in the “milk” department… it will work! Cinnamon and cloves are perfect earthy spices for flavor. Vanilla extract is a tasty addition. I even stir a teaspoon of coconut oil in for all of its health benefits! I love a warm, sweet drink so I add a good amount of honey and/or stevia to sweeten the pot.
There are “golden milk” pastes and such available online, but they are extraordinarily pricey and when you make your own, you can adjust the blend of spices for your specific taste. Start with this basic recipe and then customize it just for you! Simply combine all your ingredients in a small saucepan. Whisk over low-medium heat until your milk is golden and frothy. Enjoy!
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tbsp turmeric freshly grated
- 1/2 tsp ginger root freshly grated
- 1 cup milk (cow, coconut, or almond milk)
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan.
- Whisk over medium-low heat on the stovetop until milk is frothy.
- Simmer whil stirring constantly for 2 minutes.
- Serve warm. Add stevia or honey to taste.
Make this recipe?
Share it with me on Instagram @girlinspired1 and follow on Pinterest for more!
Potential Golden Milk benefits:
- Giving the immune system a boost! (Who doesn’t want a boost right now?)
- Reduces inflammation.
- Improves mood (the component: curcumin in turmeric effectively treats depression)
- Supports memory and brain function.
- Prevents heart disease.
- May reduce the risk of cancer.
- Lowers blood sugar levels.