Butterfly Chandelier DIY

I didn’t take many pictures along the way, but I’ll tell you how I made this butterfly chandelier because I know some of you want to make one, too. And you definitely can, but I’m not gonna lie, it’s going to take some serious dedication.
 When I first saw a chandelier like this, I knew I’d have to make one if we ever had a butterfly birthday party. Then, Olivia announced her theme – hooray!! All the credit here goes to April Meeker – you can see her incredible version here
I made the chandelier with one foam wreath form (for the larger bottom) and a smaller embroidery hoop (for the top).  I punched about ten million butterflies from patterned cardstock using three different craft punches (two are Martha Stewart punches).  Then, I started hot gluing the smaller butterflies to cover all sides of the forms.  This took a really long time to cover the wreath form.  If you don’t want to dedicate a good chunk of time to this project, pick a different project you could probably speed things along by using a large embroidery hoop on the bottom as well.  After the first layer of butterflies, begin layering again.  Use both small and large butterflies and glue, glue, glue!
Once I finished covering the hoops, I used three long pieces of ribbon to connect the two hoops together and then knotted the ribbon at the top so that I could hang it easily.  I blinged up the chandelier with leftover crystals from my real chandelier makeover project.  Then I sewed long strings of small paper butterflies and draped them around the outside and straight down the center.  A few other pieces of ribbon at various lengths were also hung down the center, and voila!
It’s so pretty, huh?  I need to find a place to hang it in my house – I think it’s headed to the big girls’ bedroom.  What are you going to do with yours?

Linking up over at Tatertots and Jello!

Comments

1. Michele Alger says

Oh my GOSH! That is crazy beautiful! And the time you took to make it…AMAZING! Thanks for sharing your ever gorgeous work!!!

2. Queen of the monkeys says

That’s amazing, you’ve done a spectacular job, I can see it would be time consuming but their enjoyment of it is so worth it isn’t it?

My almost 6yo would love this for her fairy birthday if I managed to do it by the end of next month, maybe I should keep this idea up my sleeve for next year though, lol.

3. Stephanie says

Wow you are one talented lady! I saw your link on Tatertots and Jello and have been cruising your blog and WOW again is all I can say. I am so impressed with your creative and crafty skills.

4. Sandy says

Oh my Steff! Beautiful!
    I should not stay away so long ever again!
    I’ll give this one a try – some day.
    But, no punching for me!
    I wll use my cricut instead (I know – I’m ruined, spoiled and impatient!)

Thanks for sharing!

5. Anonymous says

you are so creative, I absolutley LOVE everything on your site…I have my daughters 1st birthday party coming up in February and would like to make a winter wonderland type of theme…any suggestions of how i can decorate my basemment and turn it into a winter feeling scene?? Thanks for all your creativity!! it really is inspiring!

6. Sandy says

Ohhhh how beautiful this is, I have been staring and thinking about it for so long.
    Last week I found several wicker (tangled -wicker) balls. And my Butterfly “chandelier” was in the making. I think I will have to call it a mobile? (have not started yet though). But will soon.
    I felt so inspired by this thank you Stef!

7. Anonymous says

I love this!! so beautiful. Im making this for my daughters 1st birthday. I started punching the butterflies already. Were did you get that ribbon from? I love it!

8. Phyl says

This is so special. Your girls are blessed to have a mom who makes them feel so special. I am wondering though, when do you sleep? You have wonderful ideas. Thanks for sharing.
    Phyl

9. kim says

I am so glad I found this page! I am making one of these in purple for my best friend, she is adopting a little girl with special needs from china and she looooves butterflies. She is doing her room in purple and I am so excited to make this for her. She has four boys and I know she will love to have something so girly!!