Butterfly Chandelier DIY

I didn’t take many pictures along the way, but I’ll tell you how I made this butterfly chandelier because I know some of you want to make one, too. And you definitely can, but I’m not gonna lie, it’s going to take some serious dedication.
 When I first saw a chandelier like this, I knew I’d have to make one if we ever had a butterfly birthday party. Then, Olivia announced her theme – hooray!! All the credit here goes to April Meeker – you can see her incredible version here
I made the chandelier with one foam wreath form (for the larger bottom) and a smaller embroidery hoop (for the top).  I punched about ten million butterflies from patterned cardstock using three different craft punches (two are Martha Stewart punches).  Then, I started hot gluing the smaller butterflies to cover all sides of the forms.  This took a really long time to cover the wreath form.  If you don’t want to dedicate a good chunk of time to this project, pick a different project you could probably speed things along by using a large embroidery hoop on the bottom as well.  After the first layer of butterflies, begin layering again.  Use both small and large butterflies and glue, glue, glue!
Once I finished covering the hoops, I used three long pieces of ribbon to connect the two hoops together and then knotted the ribbon at the top so that I could hang it easily.  I blinged up the chandelier with leftover crystals from my real chandelier makeover project.  Then I sewed long strings of small paper butterflies and draped them around the outside and straight down the center.  A few other pieces of ribbon at various lengths were also hung down the center, and voila!
It’s so pretty, huh?  I need to find a place to hang it in my house – I think it’s headed to the big girls’ bedroom.  What are you going to do with yours?

Linking up over at Tatertots and Jello!

Comments

1. Pretty, pretty, mega pretty, i love it, absolutely beautiful :D
    Karen x

2. This is just the cutest wreath! Thank you for sharing this! It is definitely going to be something I try out :)

3. Michele Alger says:

Oh my GOSH! That is crazy beautiful! And the time you took to make it…AMAZING! Thanks for sharing your ever gorgeous work!!!

4. Anonymous says:

So cute!! Love it!!!

5. Turned out beautiful. Butterflies + chandelier, what’s not to love!??

6. That is just too beautiful for words. I can imagine it at weddings, showers, bat mitzvahs, you name it. Inspiring!

From TT&J link party

7. Shannon at madiganmade says:

Wow. This is gorgeous!

8. Queen of the monkeys says:

That’s amazing, you’ve done a spectacular job, I can see it would be time consuming but their enjoyment of it is so worth it isn’t it?

My almost 6yo would love this for her fairy birthday if I managed to do it by the end of next month, maybe I should keep this idea up my sleeve for next year though, lol.

9. wow so beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

10. Desiree @ The 36th Avenue says:

I LOVE THIS!

I would love for you to share it on my link party. I hope to see you there.

11. Stephanie says:

Wow you are one talented lady! I saw your link on Tatertots and Jello and have been cruising your blog and WOW again is all I can say. I am so impressed with your creative and crafty skills.

12. Oh my Steff! Beautiful!
    I should not stay away so long ever again!
    I’ll give this one a try – some day.
    But, no punching for me!
    I wll use my cricut instead (I know – I’m ruined, spoiled and impatient!)

Thanks for sharing!

13. this is too much for words. had to drop a line just to say WOW

14. you are so creative, I absolutley LOVE everything on your site…I have my daughters 1st birthday party coming up in February and would like to make a winter wonderland type of theme…any suggestions of how i can decorate my basemment and turn it into a winter feeling scene?? Thanks for all your creativity!! it really is inspiring!

15. Ohhhh how beautiful this is, I have been staring and thinking about it for so long.
    Last week I found several wicker (tangled -wicker) balls. And my Butterfly “chandelier” was in the making. I think I will have to call it a mobile? (have not started yet though). But will soon.
    I felt so inspired by this thank you Stef!

16. Anonymous says:

I love this!! so beautiful. Im making this for my daughters 1st birthday. I started punching the butterflies already. Were did you get that ribbon from? I love it!

17. Meredith Tomasulo says:

this is just beautiful – stunning!!

18. This is so special. Your girls are blessed to have a mom who makes them feel so special. I am wondering though, when do you sleep? You have wonderful ideas. Thanks for sharing.
    Phyl

19. I made it! Check out my version, and thanks for the great idea! http://fiveintow.com/2012/05/01/diy-butterfly-chandelier/

20. I am so glad I found this page! I am making one of these in purple for my best friend, she is adopting a little girl with special needs from china and she looooves butterflies. She is doing her room in purple and I am so excited to make this for her. She has four boys and I know she will love to have something so girly!!

21. Callie Powell says:

I love your blog and this chandelier! I’m going to make one for my girl’s room.

22. Christine says:

Just adorable!))

1. [...] saved the best for last- Pic 9 shows an utterly gorgeous DIY butterfly chandelier from Girl Inspired. So in love with [...]