Mission Reorganization: Fabric Storage

Finally!  I’m making my way through the disorganized mounds of sewing and craft supplies that have been littering our bedroom floor since we had to move everything out for the floor redo.  I’ve never had a great system for storing my fabric, but now that I am sewing on a regular basis, I need a workable system more than ever!  There is quite a bit of work left to be done, but I was so excited about my weekend fabric accomplishment that I thought I’d share!  It’s looking so pretty!

I first saw these Fabric Organizers on Lindsay’s blog, The Cottage Home.  As soon as I saw this post of Lindsay’s studio, the fabric organizers went on my list, but I wasn’t able to purchase them until last week!  They are made from a lightweight material with little tabs to secure your fabric to the organizer.  It wraps up into neat little bolts which fit perfectly on my old desk.

I grouped the fabrics by color as I went along, moving them around until I found the color progression visually appealing.  Once I lined them up on my desk, I made a couple breaks in the row with large jars that I have filled with ribbon.  I may not keep the large ribbon jars, but I do like the groupings.  It makes me so happy to have all my pretty fabric out where I can stare at it!  Kind of like my very own fabric shop.

It’s a small dent in mission reorganization…

Comments

1. Stef that looks great and I’m LOVING the red and cream fabric to the left. So excited to see what you do with it!

2. Farah Muzaffar says:

Oh Stef… its not only beautiful looking but what a manageable way… how easy to check out the fabric treasure… And yes you are very right grouping make it more practical and obviously added beauty too … Thanks for sharing such a nice and neat idea
    Hope you like to visit and love to feel the beauty and fragrance of flowers at
    Love
    Farah

3. Pine Tree Home says:

Amazing! I love the colors.

4. Anonymous says:

I am so jealous!!! Where did you get those??? I see some fabrics I have been eyeing for a while!!

Christene

5. Samantha says:

Looks great! not only pretty but practical too!

6. Kristie says:

I’m so jealous! First of all because you have so many gorgeous fabrics, secondly because you don’t have to dig through a box to find anything. I love it. I think I need some of those fancy schmancy little fabric organizers. Thanks for sharing!

7. Laura @ ON{thelaundry}LINE says:

that looks absolutely delicious. I have neat little piles of fabric (and, you know… a giant mound of fabric that should be added to the neat piles) but I think the fabric organizers are much prettier…

8. Wow! It looks fabulous!

9. It looks beautiful! I remember seeing that same post over at The Cottage Home. I love that you can actually see all of your fabric and know what you have.

Visiting from Blue Cricket Design!

10. Melanie says:

I might have died and gone to heaven. That might be the most beautiful organziation project I’ve ever seen. It’s like art Stef. Your very own fabric shop, how neat! xo

11. Oooooooooh, great stash, Stef!! Love it – thanks for linking. Everything looks so pretty and organized! Isn’t it so much more fun creating when you can see all your fabric all neatly lined up?

Lindsay

12. Poop, Google Chrome just ate my comment!

Anyhoo, this is fabric eye candy, it looks wonderful, yet still practical.

The jars are a lovely way to break the fabrics up.

13. Great job! I didn’t want to spend the money on them, so I made my own at of Foam Core for free! Isn’t it great being able to see all your fabric nicely displayed? Please stop by Sew Woodsy and link up this project!

14. Emily S says:

OH MY GOSH these are adorable. I can hardly believe how cute it all looks together! Excellent job.

Emily
    Deviantly Domesticated Team

15. Christy says:

Jealous for two reasons: You have beautiful fabric, and it’s so nicely displayed! I will have to look into those, thanks so much for sharing. :)

16. Nicolette @ Momnivore's Dilemma says:

Stef-

I’ve been searching for a good system for my collection of fabric. You have solved my dilemma. I’m pinning this to my organizational folder!

If you have a moment today, please share this fabric storage idea with my readers @Creative Juice Thursday. Hope to see yours among all the amazing projects!

17. Baezamama says:

SO awesome!!

18. Sue@creativetryals.blogspot.com says:

Wow that is amazing! I love the jars of ribbon in between your fabric.
    Visiting you from Tatertots and Jello.

19. visiting from tatertots and jello – very pretty fabrics and great organization!

20. Laura @ Laura's Crafty Life says:

It looks great! I don’t have much fabric, but if I start to acquire more this would work great! (I found you on Tatertots and Jello)

21. Michelle says:

Gorgeous! LOVE how it looks!! I am visiting from Tatertots and Jello and I would LOVE if you could link up your awesome post to my very first crafty linky party! This is the first week of Delicately Constructed Fridays and I would really appreciate the link!
    Hope you have a great weekend!
    Michelle

22. Seven Sisters says:

This looks so pretty…
    ♥J. sevensisters

23. Ali Richardson says:

WOW!!!! This looks stunning! SO pretty :)
    Just popping in from TT&J :)

24. Great job! I love the idea, and I must say that I’m drooling over your fabrics!

25. Hands Sew Full says:

Oh it looks gorgeous! Love the clean lines and visual organization. Popped in from TaterTots too!

26. FlyAwayHome says:

WOW! looks great…. please come to my house :)

27. I’m in love with this idea! I have so many fabric swatches and this is the perfect way to display them. LOVE!

28. I so need to do this! My fabric is out of control!

29. Elizabeth says:

I don’t have a ton of fabric but I could look at your photos all day! So beautiful – love the color! I am tempted to go out and buy fabric just to make my craft room look colorful like this!

30. mary kathryn @ mathews family happenings says:

what a lovely space you have! I’m totally jealous….ha. I’m off to try to recreate these fabric organizers- what a great solution! I’m visiting from CSI project.

31. Sew Spoiled says:

This looks beautiful! May I feature you in my October Organization month theme? Please let me know at leah.sewspoiled@gmail.com.

32. Hey there everyone, so glad you love the organizers… DeNiece

(I am the person who came up them! My own little personal panic attack!)

33. It’s so pretty. I wouldn’t want to ruin the display by using the fabric. haha

34. I too have these fabric organizers and love them. When walk into my sewing room and see all the lovely fabrics it lifts my spirits and inspires me to create.

35. Did you buy these direct from thefarbicorganizer or somewhere else?

36. Anonymous says:

I loved the idea of mini bolts of fabric, but I didn’t like the like the price of the organizers. 6 for $11 plus s/h. I bought a bi-fold display board with my 50% off coupon from Joann fab. I cut 16-12″x 9″ organizers, with an exato knife cut tabs to hold down the first layer of fabric. 16 homemade organizers for $8.

37. I too make my own mini bolts.

Lately I am using the cardboard bottoms of those great flat boxes that we get at Costco… usually what we use to pack our purchases into the car. That cardboard is wonderful. I cut mine 8″ x 11″ and they fit nicely on bookshelves! cheers from CANADA.

38. This Way and That says:

I’ve got to make time to do this…………love it………

39. Anonymous says:

How much fabric will the organizer hold? I have loads of fabric to almost open a fabric store. I loved your idea to display it at your finger tips. I need to do something with mine since it’s stored in drawers, in boxes, etc. Thanks for the idea. Linda at mamalinsclothesline.

40. It doesn’t look like much fabric is on those boards. Is this just for. Small crafts? What if you have 4,6 or 8 yards of something? Can you still use these small boards?

41. Great idea! I have lots of fabric in assorted boxes and can never find what I’m looking for. Thanks for sharing!!

42. Anonymous says:

I Love how organized and beautiful your fabric is.

43. Donna Lee says:

have u seen the latest size , mini large and they are great. DeNeice is a great gal , and these are the perfect way to clean up any sewing closet , some say they rather use card board well go ahead and ruin your fabric I know Ive paid way to much for all of my fabric and I want it to last for years to come

44. I love this idea! One thing I did want to warn you about is sun or dust damage. Be sure this display isn’t near any bright sunny windows or you will have some horrible sunstreaks on your beautiful fabrics. I’ve seen this happen at many little quilt shops with windows :( But otherwise this is a great idea!

45. I know this is an old post but I wanted to say I use comic book inserts. I have gotten 6 yds on there and it holds up just fine in between other mini bolts. I prefer the comic book inserts because they are acid free so no discoloring of my fabrics. I have so much fabric sometimes it’s sits quite awhile till I actually get to “That” idea that the fabric was purchased for. Anyway the comic book inserts are in a package of 100 for about $12. Can’t beat that price. I have a demo on my blog how I fold my fabrics and wrap them. Joyce

46. Christine says:

just came across this post due to a pinterest link. followed links until I found a place to buy them, http://www.clotilde.com and it looks like they are using the photo from your blog. Did they ask your permission or pay you for your photo? Just curious as I’ve been reading a lot lately about companies just taking pictures from blogs without asking permission from owners.

47. Anonymous says:

thanks for sharing.

48. Calvin Brock says:

when I had few friend it looks nice to have such emails, but now a day I receive hundreds of such email. Finally I found the way to disable these notifications on Google+ Plus or enable only required Google+ Plus notifications. External SATA RAID

49. Melissa says:

I LOVE the dark wooden shelf! Beautiful Room!

50. my husbands going to hate this idea because it will spread my fabric collection around…. but I love it and will now have to make some for myself :D :D :D

51. Wow! I really need to organize my room. It’s total chaos at the moment

52. I’ve been buying foam poster board from the Dollar Tree and making my own small bolt cards. I get 6 bolts made from 1 poster board..not bad for $1 :)

53. Diane Palmisano says:

These look great but do you have any ideas for organizing several yards of each kind of fabric?

54. Great job when you have finished would you like to come and do mine!!

55. Great idea to set up my sewing studio. Got your website link on my website. Thanks a lot..

1. […] Beautiful fabric on cards by Girl Inspired […]