Mission Reorganization: Fabric Storage

Finally!  I’m making my way through the disorganized mounds of sewing and craft supplies that have been littering our bedroom floor since we had to move everything out for the floor redo.  I’ve never had a great system for storing my fabric, but now that I am sewing on a regular basis, I need a workable system more than ever!  There is quite a bit of work left to be done, but I was so excited about my weekend fabric accomplishment that I thought I’d share!  It’s looking so pretty!

I first saw these Fabric Organizers on Lindsay’s blog, The Cottage Home.  As soon as I saw this post of Lindsay’s studio, the fabric organizers went on my list, but I wasn’t able to purchase them until last week!  They are made from a lightweight material with little tabs to secure your fabric to the organizer.  It wraps up into neat little bolts which fit perfectly on my old desk.

I grouped the fabrics by color as I went along, moving them around until I found the color progression visually appealing.  Once I lined them up on my desk, I made a couple breaks in the row with large jars that I have filled with ribbon.  I may not keep the large ribbon jars, but I do like the groupings.  It makes me so happy to have all my pretty fabric out where I can stare at it!  Kind of like my very own fabric shop.

It’s a small dent in mission reorganization…

Comments

Stef that looks great and I’m LOVING the red and cream fabric to the left. So excited to see what you do with it!

2. Farah Muzaffar says

Oh Stef… its not only beautiful looking but what a manageable way… how easy to check out the fabric treasure… And yes you are very right grouping make it more practical and obviously added beauty too … Thanks for sharing such a nice and neat idea
    Hope you like to visit and love to feel the beauty and fragrance of flowers at
    Love
    Farah

3. Anonymous says

I am so jealous!!! Where did you get those??? I see some fabrics I have been eyeing for a while!!

Christene

4. Kristie says

I’m so jealous! First of all because you have so many gorgeous fabrics, secondly because you don’t have to dig through a box to find anything. I love it. I think I need some of those fancy schmancy little fabric organizers. Thanks for sharing!

5. Laura @ ON{thelaundry}LINE says

that looks absolutely delicious. I have neat little piles of fabric (and, you know… a giant mound of fabric that should be added to the neat piles) but I think the fabric organizers are much prettier…

6. Melanie says

I might have died and gone to heaven. That might be the most beautiful organziation project I’ve ever seen. It’s like art Stef. Your very own fabric shop, how neat! xo

Oooooooooh, great stash, Stef!! Love it – thanks for linking. Everything looks so pretty and organized! Isn’t it so much more fun creating when you can see all your fabric all neatly lined up?

Lindsay

8. Amanda says

Poop, Google Chrome just ate my comment!

Anyhoo, this is fabric eye candy, it looks wonderful, yet still practical.

The jars are a lovely way to break the fabrics up.

9. Katie says

Great job! I didn’t want to spend the money on them, so I made my own at of Foam Core for free! Isn’t it great being able to see all your fabric nicely displayed? Please stop by Sew Woodsy and link up this project!

10. Christy says

Jealous for two reasons: You have beautiful fabric, and it’s so nicely displayed! I will have to look into those, thanks so much for sharing. :)

11. Nicolette @ Momnivore's Dilemma says

Stef-

I’ve been searching for a good system for my collection of fabric. You have solved my dilemma. I’m pinning this to my organizational folder!

If you have a moment today, please share this fabric storage idea with my readers @Creative Juice Thursday. Hope to see yours among all the amazing projects!

12. Sue@creativetryals.blogspot.com says

Wow that is amazing! I love the jars of ribbon in between your fabric.
    Visiting you from Tatertots and Jello.

13. Laura @ Laura's Crafty Life says

It looks great! I don’t have much fabric, but if I start to acquire more this would work great! (I found you on Tatertots and Jello)

14. Michelle says

Gorgeous! LOVE how it looks!! I am visiting from Tatertots and Jello and I would LOVE if you could link up your awesome post to my very first crafty linky party! This is the first week of Delicately Constructed Fridays and I would really appreciate the link!
    Hope you have a great weekend!
    Michelle

15. Hands Sew Full says

Oh it looks gorgeous! Love the clean lines and visual organization. Popped in from TaterTots too!

16. Elizabeth says

I don’t have a ton of fabric but I could look at your photos all day! So beautiful – love the color! I am tempted to go out and buy fabric just to make my craft room look colorful like this!

17. mary kathryn @ mathews family happenings says

what a lovely space you have! I’m totally jealous….ha. I’m off to try to recreate these fabric organizers- what a great solution! I’m visiting from CSI project.

18. Pam says

I too have these fabric organizers and love them. When walk into my sewing room and see all the lovely fabrics it lifts my spirits and inspires me to create.

19. Anonymous says

I loved the idea of mini bolts of fabric, but I didn’t like the like the price of the organizers. 6 for $11 plus s/h. I bought a bi-fold display board with my 50% off coupon from Joann fab. I cut 16-12″x 9″ organizers, with an exato knife cut tabs to hold down the first layer of fabric. 16 homemade organizers for $8.

20. Anonymous says

How much fabric will the organizer hold? I have loads of fabric to almost open a fabric store. I loved your idea to display it at your finger tips. I need to do something with mine since it’s stored in drawers, in boxes, etc. Thanks for the idea. Linda at mamalinsclothesline.

21. mollymom says

It doesn’t look like much fabric is on those boards. Is this just for. Small crafts? What if you have 4,6 or 8 yards of something? Can you still use these small boards?

22. Anonymous says

Great idea! I have lots of fabric in assorted boxes and can never find what I’m looking for. Thanks for sharing!!

23. Donna Lee says

have u seen the latest size , mini large and they are great. DeNeice is a great gal , and these are the perfect way to clean up any sewing closet , some say they rather use card board well go ahead and ruin your fabric I know Ive paid way to much for all of my fabric and I want it to last for years to come

24. Court says

I love this idea! One thing I did want to warn you about is sun or dust damage. Be sure this display isn’t near any bright sunny windows or you will have some horrible sunstreaks on your beautiful fabrics. I’ve seen this happen at many little quilt shops with windows :( But otherwise this is a great idea!

25. Joyce says

I know this is an old post but I wanted to say I use comic book inserts. I have gotten 6 yds on there and it holds up just fine in between other mini bolts. I prefer the comic book inserts because they are acid free so no discoloring of my fabrics. I have so much fabric sometimes it’s sits quite awhile till I actually get to “That” idea that the fabric was purchased for. Anyway the comic book inserts are in a package of 100 for about $12. Can’t beat that price. I have a demo on my blog how I fold my fabrics and wrap them. Joyce

26. Calvin Brock says

when I had few friend it looks nice to have such emails, but now a day I receive hundreds of such email. Finally I found the way to disable these notifications on Google+ Plus or enable only required Google+ Plus notifications. External SATA RAID

my husbands going to hate this idea because it will spread my fabric collection around…. but I love it and will now have to make some for myself :D :D :D

28. Wendy says

I’ve been buying foam poster board from the Dollar Tree and making my own small bolt cards. I get 6 bolts made from 1 poster board..not bad for $1 :)

29. Floor says

Beautiful, but be careful, sunlight will fade the colours at the fold… It happend with me, it would be a waste of Beautiful fabric…

Good advice! This room gets very little direct sunlight and it doesn’t reach over to the fabric area, so fortunately, I haven’t had any fading in the few years that the fabrics have been there. I have had others fade though and it’s the worst thing!!