Knot Headbands DIY

Knot Headbands DIY - EASY tutorial

Making a quick headband to coordinate with an outfit adds just a little extra something.  I whipped out a few of these knit knot headbands the other day to give a little motivation to my straggly haired girls as the new school year approaches.  They are super easy and super quick to sew!

Knot Headbands DIY

Grab some knit fabric – you’re going to cut two pieces into long oval shapes.  With your fabric folded, cut two rectangles 13″ long (along the stretch) and 2 1/2″ wide.  Use a rounded object to trace a half circle on the open end (opposite the fold) of the rectangle and cut.

Knot Headbands DIY

Now, you’ll have two long ovals.  Place them right sides together, press a little with some steam if the knit starts rolling over on itself.  Use a serger or a zigzag stitch to sew all the way around the ovals – you want the knit to maintain its stretch, so don’t use a regular straight stitch.  Leave a 1-2″ opening at the center along one side only for turning the headband right side out.

Knot Headbands DIY

Turn the headband right side out and reshape.  Press.  Now, you’ll need to close up your opening.  You can just zigzag stitch on the outside of the fabric since this spot will be at the nape of the neck and won’t show OR you can slipstitch it closed so it doesn’t show.

Knot Headbands DIY

Now, wrap that headband around your girl’s head and tie into a double knot!  That’s it!

Knot Headbands DIY with knit fabric

Knot Headbands DIY - EASY tutorial

I previously made a similar headband out of quilting cotton to match one of the dresses for Five and Ten Designs.

Knot Headbands - Easy Tutorial

I used almost the same method, but lengthened the starting rectangle measurement to about 17″ each (on the fold, so 34″ long each).  Then, I followed the same steps to round the edges, sew the two pieces together and turn right side out.  Then, I topstitched around the entire headband, closing the opening in the process.  Since the quilting cotton doesn’t have the stretch that the knit does, I added some elasticity to the center of the headband, which is then worn at the back of the neck.

Knot Headbands DIY

Knot Headbands DIY

To do this, I marked the center of the headband and then marked about 2.5″ to each side of the center.  With elastic thread in my bobbin, I stitched rows back and forth between each marked line, making about a 5″ elasticized chunk at the center of the headband.  Press and steam this area from the top of the fabric to give it all that great stretchiness.

Knot Headbands DIY

Next, I placed the headband around my daughter’s head and pulled it tight, marking where the two sides meet at the center front.  I stitched the two sides together there, forming the headband circle, and then tied it into a knot.

Knot Headbands DIY with quilting cotton

Done!!

Knot Headbands DIY with quilting cotton

The girls were very excited to model the new knit headbands all together.

Knot Headbands DIY

They thought it was hysterical how I was barking out for them to squish together, and stop standing in front of one another, and lay with their heads all together on a blanket.  They thought it was SO hysterical in fact, they couldn’t keep a straight smile for anything!  Enjoy!

Knot Headbands DIY

Comments

Cute headbands but let’s get to the important stuff:) I don’t know if I have ever seen a picture with all three girls together! Gosh–all so beautiful–so blessed. I have a picture of my girls laying head to head in the snow and it is one of my favorites. Enjoy what’s left of the summer! We start back Wednesday–and just returned from vacation last Sunday–it has been so busy! They will look adorable in all the cute duds you have (and will) make them for school. Wishes for a great start!

Hi Kristin! We start back on Wednesday, too. The summer went SO fast!! Grace is starting Kindergarten and I am already an emotional basket case. Your picture of the girls head to head in the snow sounds amazing – I’ll have to copy that one this winter, though it was completely impossible to get them all head to head at once and looking at the camera. I was thrown off, but once I got the pictures on my computer, I was so happy to see all their giggles captured. Hope the start of your school year is great, too!

Well crap, I have a post scheduled for Monday for the same thing!!! I finally got around to doing a tutorial after Ruby was born (had the pictures taken for a few weeks!). Oh well, great minds think alike, right? Your tutorial looks great and oh my goodness, your girls are just the most beautiful girls ever. Beautiful pictures as well. Love knotted headbands!

Oh, Christie, sorry! That happens to me all. the. time. Yes, great minds totally think alike! My cousin was just here with her little girl and wanted to make some and I told her you were going to post one in baby size, so we’ll both be checking yours out tomorrow! Plus, I love the Ruby pics!!!

Thanks, Charity. You’re so sweet! I like how the shirring gave the headband just enough stretch without having to fuss with elastic on the inside.

Stef, super cute idea! I especially like your tute on the woven cotton headband. Now, if I could only convince my daughter to wear one longer than 5 minutes!

I would like to make these as gifts so I wouldn’t be able to measure the babies head. I want to make the fabric one, do you think i need to sew it together before tying the knot? If i skipped this process then it would be more adjustable. what do you think?

5. Angela m says

Love love love your ideas!!! Your stitching is so clean! If you don’t mind, what kind of sewing machine do you use?

Thank you for the inspiration! :)

6. Virginia says

Hello,
    I love reading all these beautiful items you create. They are all so
    beautiful.
    My question I have for you is this, I’m in the midst of purchasing a sewing machine and my choices are either a Janome Memory craft 6500 or a
    juki f6500. I’m not sure which is best for sewing clothes or house hold items.
    My only pet peeve is the place where the bobbin is placed on the Janome, the Juki is a top loader. If you would be so kind to direct me to which machine you would choose. Thank you. Virginia.
    (please do not post) thanks.

I bought my first set of knot headbands but I have this tutorial bookmarked and it on my To Do list. I just referenced it in my blog too. I love the look of these!

1. [...] Girl. Inspired. shows how to make these knotted headbands.  They’re oh, so cute,  and easily made.  She shows two methods – one using t-shirt knit and another using woven fabrics.  The t-shirt knit version is the easiest, since the stretch of the knit fabric creates a snug fit.  For the ones made from woven cotton, a bit of elastic thread shirring at the bottom provides the stretch.  Go to her blog for the tutorial. [...]

2. [...] Girl. Inspired. shows how to make these knotted headbands.  They’re oh, so cute,  and easily made.  She shows two methods – one using t-shirt knit and another using woven fabrics.  The t-shirt knit version is the easiest, since the stretch of the knit fabric creates a snug fit.  For the ones made from woven cotton, a bit of elastic thread shirring at the bottom provides the stretch.  Go to her blog for the tutorial. [...]

3. […] When I started finding cute sewing projects on Pinterest I started looking at sewing machines. If you know me, you know that’s a pretty crazy idea. The only class I ever failed in high school was Home Ec and it was because of a sewing project… Yeah, I know, lame. Anyways, I talked about it enough that Joel ordered me one from eBay. It came in the mail, I read the instructions, I bought some fabric, I watched numerous youtube videos and then I tried it. Not going to lie, it scared me to death. That needle moves so fast!!! So back in the box it went and it had been sitting there in my spare bedroom closet for probably a year… Until a couple of weeks ago One of my closest and craftiest friends has been sewing for forever and we had been talking about ‘sewing lessons’ ever since I got my machine. So during our last girls night I packed up my machine, supplies and a bottle of wine, headed to her house and she taught me the basics. I completed my first project! We made super cute knot headbands with the tutorial we found on girl. inspired.’s blog. […]