It has been drab and dreary this winter in Sacramento. I needed to add some COLOR to my life. I created a fun, little get together coloring party and made these funky Watercolor Cupcakes to go with it! They are so simple to make – and really, just a cupcake topper – so you can pair them up with any flavor cupcake and frosting! Time to get artsy!
There is no specific template for painting these watercolor fondant toppers, it’s just a fun way to get creative. To make the toppers, you will need fondant – a little goes a long way. You also need gel paste food coloring and an alcohol for “watering down” your gel paste food coloring. Vodka works great because it evaporates quickly, is clear, and leaves no flavor behind, but you can also use almond extract or a clear extract. The idea is that you want to turn your food coloring into watercolors, but have the liquid evaporate away so the fondant dries.
- Working on parchment paper, roll a small ball of fondant into a flat circle approximately 1/16″ thick.
- Use a round cookie cutter, jar lid, or cup to “cut” fondant circles to desired size (compare the cutting tool to the top of the cupcake to find the right size).
- Mix one drop of gel paste food coloring into 1 tsp. alcohol or extract. Use small styrofoam cups or something similar. Repeat with a variety of colors. The “electric” food colors from AmeriColor turned out best for me. Electric Blue, Electric Purple, Electric Green, Super Red, and Teal.
- With a cake decorating brush (here’s the one I use – affil.), paint squiggles, swirls, dots, lines, or splatters of paint onto the fondant toppers. Allow to dry overnight. Blend subsequent colors minimally and vary your designs for more visual interest.
- Frost cupcakes and immediately place watercolor fondant circles on top.
These were a lot of fun to make once I got the hang of it. My girls also had fun painting up a pile of fondant circles! It’s a good activity for anyone!
And they make perfect party snacks for an artsy/craftsy event like this little coloring party I’m talking about today over at The Creative Spark. Enjoy!