So, you’re stuck at home and feeling B.O.R.E.D.? If you’re anything like me, the best thing to do during this time at home is to stay busy! Learn something new, throw myself into a new project, teach someone something I know, and start a new craft. I’ve compiled and herby present this – the Ultimate List of Things to Do When You’re Stuck at Home. There are a whole host of categories to choose from and tons of links and ideas within each section. Whether you are interested in exploring museums, science, and nature or would like to develop your cooking, crafting, or sewing skills, here you will find endless ideas for something to do with your free time!
Below you will find over 100 ideas for things to do from home and they are divided into categories: Food/Baking/Cooking, Sewing, Art/Culture/Virtual Tours, Crafting, Home Decor, Yard and Garden, Travel Planning, Beauty & Health, Outdoors, Live Web Cams, and PLAY!
- Always wanted to know how to make a Dutch Baby/German Oven Pancake? Need a Gluten-free German Pancake recipe?
- Perfect your Crepe making skills
- Make mini Ice Cream Sandwich pops
- Practice some simple Cake Decorating Techniques.
- Order a Universal Yums box and explore foods from around the world. Order a box for a friend or relative and you could open your treats together over FaceTime! We did this as a Christmas present for my daughter last year and it was a huge hit!
- Get your booze on with the BEST Kahlua Cake recipe.
- Pull a Monica and Make a million jars of JAM with these 20 recipes.
- Learn to bake Sourdough Bread
- Organize a family recipe box.
- Learn the craft of Gelatin Art
- Dive into online exploration of Canadian food and farming.
- Nothing but time on your hands? Play with icing and food coloring and make a rainbow cake! This was one of the most fun food projects I’ve ever done!
- Try your hand at French macarons!
- First things first – need a beginner sewing machine? This Brother sewing machine is a favorite among us hobby sewists, reasonably priced, and you can get it delivered straight to your door through my affiliate link!
- Sew a mermaid skirt in 30 minutes!
- Sew a Cosmetic Bag.
- Finally learn about all those Sewing Machine feet!
- Make a Homemade Face Mask.
- Throw yourself into a really time consuming, detailed project like making this Petal Dress.
- Join this sewing community Facebook page for daily inspiration!
- Learn How to Sew on a Button using your Sewing Machine.
- Discover How to Sew a One-Step Buttonhole (with video tutorial)
- Learn How to Properly Gather Fabric and Sew Ruffles
- Make the kids’ waistbands adjustable!
- Learn how to install an invisible zipper.
- See if you have these Sewing Supplies that aren’t really sewing supplies!
- Maybe you’re a beginner and you don’t even know where to start, this is a great guide to sewing for beginners.
- Here’s a list of 25 free sewing patterns.
Culture/Art/Virtual Tours you can do from home:
- Tour the Musee D’Orsay – super cool virtual walk through of the museum (this was my FAVORITE in Paris)
- Take a virtual tour of the Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam
- Virtually visit the National History Museum in D.C. – this was one of my favorite places I visited last month on my trip to Washington.
- Watch baby panda bears on this Live web cam
- Learn about California Waterfowl – art projects, activity pages, and lab projects
- Draw Lunchtime Doodles with Mo Willems
- Try an interactive tour of Ellis Island in New York.
- Learn how nature works with a plethora of virtual field trips and lessons!
- Try out calligraphy
- Explore the Secret Annex where Anne Frank hid during the Holocaust – absolutely one of the most moving places I have ever visited and you can visit online until you’re able to head to Amsterdam!
- Read the “Classics”
- Download and listen to FREE audiobooks for kids through Audible
- Go on a mission to MARS!
- Add Mod Podge to Photos and Canvas for DIY Canvas Photos
- Make crowns out of lace
- Try out wood-burning – decorate some kitchen tools, make gifts, if you’re really bored, hey – you could even doodle on your fence!
- Make a stained glass sun catcher!
- Create graphic tees
- Make a disco ball out of paper mâché and mirrored contact paper
- Learn crochet basics while making the most fantastic floor basket!
- Make a pennant banner
- Spend hours decorating eggs with a pile of markers and this egg spinner! (affil)
- Turn animal figurines into cute necklaces
- Make crowns out of flowers
- Craft a microphone and sing karaoke!
Home Improvement/Home Decor Projects:
- Paint a room.
- Make throw pillows for your couch!
- Transform a vase or jar into a Mercury Glass lantern
- Sew simple window curtains.
- Use acrylic paint and a rubber stamp to make some new coasters
- Sort and organize your digital photographs; order prints online
- How to Change the Oil in your car
- Make reusable snack baggies.
- Install a backsplash in your kitchen.
- Clean the dryer vent
- Build Easy Garden Boxes
- Learn how to propagate succulents
- Make a fairy garden
- Make a side table from an old milk can.
- Photograph flowers in your yard or neighborhood as they come into bloom.
- Start your summer veggie garden – your local nursery may have curbside pickup!
Plan Travel for When you’re NOT stuck at home:
- Explore a trip to Washington D.C.
- Plan a trip to a tropical destination like Bonaire
- Explore this ultimate list of National Park Junior Ranger programs – then you can plan which parks to go visit! These programs can be completed online and you can earn badges, too!
- Start scouting covered bridges and explore places to stay in Vermont.
- Curious about the Great Wall of China?
- Check out these restaurants in Puerto Rico so you’ll know exactly where to go on your next trip. LOL.
- Google is hosting incredible virtual tours of 5 National Parks including parks in Hawaii, Alaska, and Utah – more to explore and add to your travel bucket list.
- Hop on the treadmill and take a virtual walking tour of Paris!
- Then check out Jerusalem or the Amalfi Coast!
- Make something for Mom for Mother’s Day with one of these ideas.
- Rejuvenate the skin with this lemon coconut sugar scrub
- Make Bath Bombs
- Meditate for FREE with Oprah and Deepak
- Ask Alexa to do a workout – choose from yoga, abs, timed workouts, and hundreds more!
- Explore a wilderness trail you’ve never visited.
- Set up a Glow-in-the-Dark Easter egg hunt
- Watch the sunrise or sunset from a new location
- Go for a long country drive
- Take a bike ride.
- Create a neighborhood scavenger hunt.
- Learn to skip rocks.
Live Web Cams to watch when you’re stuck at home:
- Watch the Lion’s Den in Alabama
- Sip your cocktail and take in the beach view in Saipan
- Want to laugh? Watch the Sea Otters flip around or check out the other sea animal cams at the Monterey Bay Aquarium!
- Tropical fish webcam via the Baltimore Aquarium
- Check out the Cherry Blossoms via Washington D.C.’s Bloom Cam
- Shark Tank Camera via Baltimore Aquarium
- The San Diego Zoo has a bunch of live web cams – my kids are loving the penguin cam, especially!
- Build a Lego kingdom
- Write a handwritten letter! Heck, type a letter and email it to someone!
- Build a fort.
- Have a fashion show with clothes from your family members’ closets! How about a mom/dad apparel swap?
- Read a book and then watch the movie format – here’s a list of over 80 children’s books/movies!
- Set up a tent in the backyard and camp!
- Hang a hammock
- Binge watch Netflix – this show and movie list is even printable so you can check off all the shows you master. hahaha.
- Do a crossword puzzle
- Learn Magic Tricks
- Host a Happy Hour over Zoom
- Laugh at Memes
- Learn a Tik Tok dance. I’m trying, but my kids don’t exactly think I have the moves!
How many of these ideas have you already done? What else would you add to this list of things to do when you’re stuck at home? We can all use more ideas!