When I turned thirteen, my mom let me have a make-up birthday party. I invited just a few friends and my mom’s Mary Kay® Independent Beauty Consultant came over with her many mirrors and bags of makeup and she taught us all how to hold the mascara wand and find the perfect shade of sheer pink lip gloss. I remember feeling soooo grown up. Although I haven’t had much in the way of makeup lessons since then my girly girl heart still loves to try! Mary Kay® sent me a humongous box of makeup with step by step instructions to do two complete looks based on two looks created by Mary Kay Global Makeup Artist, Luis Casco, which were featured on season 13 of Project Runway. I squealed like a kid in a candy store looking at my box of goodies. Makeup plus Project Runway makes this girl happy!!!
The first look is the Emerald Smoke Look, which includes some fun green tones to dress up the eyes, a cream blush, and some awesome lip liner/lipstick. I thought that I might make a complete mess of myself with all of the bold colors, but I found the cream eye color and cream blush to blend in easily and the mineral eye colors have a pretty shimmer that boost the classy factor. I was maybe more conservative on the eye color and liner than I could have been; I think next time, I’ll add a bit more. I don’t know that I would do up this eye look on any given Monday, but I think that it would be fun on occasion. The lip liner and lipstick for this look might be my new favorite makeup items though. I really love the color with my skin tone. This is one that I’d use on a daily basis.
Here’s how to create the entire Emerald Smoke Look:
- Apply Mary Kay® Cream Eye Color in Meadow Grass to eyelids as a base to make the color pop and apply Mary Kay® Mineral Eye Color in Emerald on top. Brush Mary Kay® Mineral Eye Color in Lime to the inner thirds of the eyes with the Mary Kay® Eye Smudger Brush for an eye-brightening effect.
- Line the base of your top and bottom lashlines with Mary Kay®Eyeliner in Black and smudge slightly to create a smoky look.
- Apply two coats of Mary Kay® Lash Love® Lengthening™ Mascara in I ♥ black.
- With your fingertips or a clean Mary Kay® Liquid Foundation Brush, blend Mary Kay® Cream Blush in Cranberry onto the apples of your cheeks. Start sheer and build the intensity as you see fit based on your skin tone.
- Line lips with Mary Kay® Lip Liner in Cappuccino and top off withTrue Dimensions® Lipstick in Mystic Plum directly from the tube.
You can also watch a video of Luis Casco creating the Emerald Smoke look by clicking here. To compliment this look further, he suggests adding natural textures like leather and snakeskin to your clothing choices and some sequins for sparkle! Here are a few fun finds from around the web to make this look work!
The second look is the Graphic Eye Look and it encourages a playful take on the cat eye. This look was a ton of fun to try as it’s way out of my comfort zone. The eye liner took me a number of tries to get the line straight(ish) and the “cat eye” angle right, but after I watched the video, I had a better idea of how to do it. I appreciated the subtlety of the bronzing powders, too, because I don’t typically use them and I didn’t want to look like my cheeks were caked in makeup. I think it turned out pretty good. I actually really like the lipstick and lip gloss combo for this look, too. It’s light and fresh and compliments the drama of the blue eyeliner. My girls were really excited about this look and the blue on my eyes took me right back to my early days of makeup experimentation!
Here’s how to create the Graphic Eye Look:
- Apply Mary Kay® Mineral Eye Color in Moonstone to eyelids as a base and brush Mary Kay® Mineral Eye Color in Driftwood to the creases and under the eyes with the Mary Kay® Eye Crease Brush to create depth.
- Apply Mary Kay At Play™ Bold Fluid Eyeliner in Blue My Mind in a very thin line from the upper inner corners to the middle of the eyes. Apply Mary Kay® Gel Eyeliner in Jet Black from the outer corners until it meets the blue eyeliner.
- Apply Mary Kay® Bronzing Powder in Light-Medium to the cheeks as a highlighter for a bronzed look. Apply Mary Kay® Bronzing Powder in Medium-Dark to the hairline and under cheekbones to create a really modern contour on the face.
- Apply two coats of Mary Kay® Ultimate Mascara™ in Black.
- Apply True Dimensions® Lipstick in Pink Chérie directly from the tube and top off with Mary Kay® NouriShine Plus® Lip Gloss in Au Naturel.
You can also watch a video of Luis Casco creating the Graphic Eye look by clicking here. To compliment this look further, he suggests continuing the graphic theme with statement jewelry, a clutch with geometric patterns and a pop of blue! Here are a few fun finds from around the web to make this look work!
I have to say that I’m loving the new supplements to my makeup collection! Share which look you’d like to try in the comments below to be entered into a random drawing for a chance to win a $100 VISA Gift Card, plus a collection of Mary Kay® products to create one of the looks featured + some beauty essentials.
No duplicate comments.
You may receive (2) total entries by selecting from the following entry methods:
1. Leave a comment in response to the sweepstakes prompt on this post
2. Tweet (public message) about this promotion; including exactly the following unique term in your tweet message: “#SweepstakesEntry”; and leave the URL to that tweet in a comment on this post
3. Blog about this promotion, including a disclosure that you are receiving a sweepstakes entry in exchange for writing the blog post, and leave the URL to that post in a comment on this post
4. For those with no Twitter or blog, read the official rules to learn about an alternate form of entry.
This giveaway is open to US Residents age 18 or older. Winners will be selected via random draw, and will be notified by e-mail. The notification email will come directly from BlogHer via the [email protected] email address. You will have 72 hours to respond; otherwise a new winner will be selected.