I have several recipes in my recipe box that I come back to time and time again. They are tried and true and always go over well. Today’s glazed pecan rum cake is an excellent example. I’ve modified this recipe from my mom’s so that the cake can be made from scratch, rather than using a boxed mix. This is a great cake to serve to dinner guests or at a bridal shower. This is a dense rum-infused yellow cake with chopped pecans baked into the top. The rum and nuts may be less ideal for select groups of people, but I think you’ll find the perfect occasion to make this! With the nuts on top and the glaze, the cake looks beautiful as well.
After baking up the cake in a bundt pan, you will let it cool completely before adding the glaze. The cake is all about the glaze, so don’t skimp! The full glaze recipe is meant to be absorbed by the cake.
I use a pastry brush to coat the top and sides of the cake and it takes 4-5 layers to soak up all the glaze. Set the cake on a drying rack over a baking sheet to catch drips. Once all of the glaze is coating the cake, you’ll have a nice, sweet rum layer wrapping the dense inner layers of the cake. Mmmmm, deliciousness!
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- 6 egg yolks
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup cold water
- ½ cup Bacardi rum
- 2 cups cake four
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
- ½ cup butter
- ¼ cup water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup rum
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour bundt pan and set aside.
- Cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in egg yolks and vanilla, adding yolks one at a time.
- Beat in sour cream.
- Sift together cake flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Combine rum and water.
- Alternating between the two, gradually add flour mixture and rum mixture to the other ingredients.
- Add nuts to bottom of bundt pan.
- Pour batter into pan over nuts and bake approximately 1 hour or until done.
- Remove cake from pan and cool.
- Prepare glaze by melting butter over medium heat in a saucepan.
- Add water and sugar; bring to a boil.
- Boil 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and stir in rum.
- Use a pastry brush to coat the top and sides of the cake, repeating until all of glaze is used.
Enjoy, friends! You might also like: