Adventures in Pattern Drafting

Time to tackle another hurdle – pattern drafting.  I was sitting in my sewing room last week, trying to find a starting point on a new design and I felt completely lost.  I have always worked off of existing patterns to create new designs, but it’s time to take things to the next level and create my own patterns.  I purchased this “Metric pattern cutting for children’s wear and babywear” book at the recommendation of some amazing bloggers/seamstresses and began drafting the basic bodice blocks according to my children’s measurements.  I feel like the wool is slowly being lifted from my eyes.  Why all the interest in designing from scratch?  Well, I have the incredible fortune of designing for the next season of….Project Run and Play – ALL STARS!!  I am super excited and incredibly intimidated by the other amazing designers.  When I participated in PR&P Season 3, I really had no clue what I was doing (shhh! don’t tell) – I just kept cutting and sewing and cutting and sewing guesstimated pattern sketches until my designs looked how I wanted them.  It’s not an easy thing to design without patterns – I’m hoping to teach myself some solid guidelines so that I feel more confident in my process and finished products.  The All Stars season of PR&P will kick off the last week of March, but if you’re interested in some behind the scenes sneak peeks, the other competitors and I are using the hashtag #prapallstars on Instagram.  It’s got to be the next best thing to sitting all together in one big workroom as we design.
I have some other exciting things in store for this month, too!  You’ll get a peek at our March Inspiration collection this week and Thursday we’ll have our FIRST link party here at Girl. Inspired.  I’m excited!! See you soon!

Comments

1. I have that book and it is as amazing as everyone says! I’ve had great success making kids and even doll patterns using it. I can’t wait to see what you come up with :o)

• It’s so great to hear that someone else has used it successfully! There is something so reassuring just by having the tools to draft patterns in my hands!

2. Bratling says:

I need to learn how to do that, too. The book, though….. my metric is shaky at best!

• So far, I actually haven’t run into any trouble – I just converted my childrens’ measurements into cm and use the cm side of my measuring tape to draft – I really need to get my hands on a ruler with cm and I’ll be set. You should try it!!

3. Truly Myrtle says:

Ooooooo I can’t wait to see how you get on!!! I am on the verge of this myself (but I want to do me first and then the kids!) I have been umming and arring over what book/books to get – it’d be great if you’d give us a low down on any books you use? And tips!!!

• I will definitely report back!! This is my first attempt beyond manipulating patterns that I already have. There are also adult books in this series that have been recommended to me, too!

4. sweeter than cupcakes says:

Yes, please give us reviews as you explore new books. I’d love to learn too. Wishing you the best for PR&P!

5. Angelina- JoJo & Eloise says:

Oh I am so excited for ALL of it!!! Your new venture in pattern drafting, the all star series of pr&p and your new linky party…:) I also have a new linky party starting tonight 8pm est would Love for you to join in :) What time will yours be starting? ( so I can add it to my book :)
    xo
    Angelina

6. Angelina- JoJo & Eloise says:

xo
    Angelina

7. Angelina- JoJo & Eloise says:

xo
    Angelina

8. Charity says:

Exciting! I’ve been interested in pattern-drafting from scratch ever since I saw the series about it on Ikatbag, although I’ve been paying a lot more attention to drafting for myself than for my kids. It’s a lot of work, and I still don’t have a basic pattern for wovens that I like… but I do have a beautifully fitting tee pattern now! =)

• A beautifully fitting tee pattern that you drafted yourself is an amazing feat!! The nice thing about drafting patterns for yourself is that once you have the basics down, you should be set for a long time (versus the growth changes our kids experience every two seconds!!!)

9. Simple Simon & Co says:

Pattern drafting is a lot of fun—its nice to be able to make exactly what you want! That books looks pretty cool.
    -liZ
    ps—I am DYING for AllStars to start!!!

10. Simple Simon & Co says:

-liZ
    ps—I am DYING for AllStars to start!!!

11. Simple Simon & Co says:

-liZ
    ps—I am DYING for AllStars to start!!!