Sewing for Me: Lace Dress

Working toward my goal of learning to sew more for me, I attempted another adult pattern:  Vogue V8766.  Initially, I made the sleeveless, scoop-neck version of the pattern and ended up with a dress that was pretty, but totally didn’t fit.  The entire upper bodice and shoulders ended up too roomy (if you know what I mean) and too wide as well.  I did get the waist sizing right and realized that the circle skirt portion was a great match for my pear-shaped frame.  I was feeling pretty frustrated after the first attempt at the dress, but I didn’t give up.
I tried again using the strapless version pattern pieces.  I adjusted the bodice by folding in the pattern pieces at an angle so as to maintain the waist measurements but drastically pull in the whole top of the dress.  I also learned how to size and adjust the side boning so that the dress would come together nicely.  I still need to hem the second dress, which I made out of a plain cotton, and it will work nicely in the spring/summer.  I made my final dress with a lace and lining from the bridal fabrics section.  The lace is a heavy cotton and was pretty pricey, even with a coupon, but I think the end result reflects a nicer, classier dress than the first dress that I made with a cheaper, polyester lace.
 I used a beige lining so that the dress wouldn’t look so bridal-y.  Love how the colors turned out.  I left the lace unhemmed (I might go in and finish the hem later, but it works for now) and did a rolled hem on the lining.  And while the circle skirt was a great style, I ended up cutting it significantly shorter than the pattern because 1) I’m short. :)  and 2) the whole dress looked a lot lighter and I looked leaner when the skirt hit just below the knees, but above the widest portion of my calves.  I also shortened the waistline, which elongated my figure, too.  I wore this dress to the Clue-theme party at Alt Summit.  Since we were going for a bit extravagant, I paired it with my feathered fascinator and a vintage fur stole that I found on etsy.  I think the dress turned out great.  The fit was perfect and the finishing passes for professional rather than homemade-looking, in my opinion.  So, I’m going to go ahead and score this a major win in the sewing for me department.  I actually felt like I learned a few things about fit and curves and style that will help me going forward with my next project for myself.  I did not learn anything about modeling for self-timer shots in this process – just sayin’.

Comments

1. You’re gorgeous, Stef! Wonderful job. I love the zipper and the owl necklace is just the right amount of flash. :)

2. Absolutely stunning and it was even more gorgeous in person! You did an amazing job, Stef!!

3. sweeter than cupcakes says:

You’re so brave, and the end result is stunning!! Adult curves and fit still scare me. I’ve only made 3 things for myself even though I have quite a few patterns I’d love to try someday.

4. SO impressed, Stef. You’re amazing. Keep sewing for yourself, girl!!

5. Looks great! The fit is amazing!

• Thank you, Olga! I was surprisingly impressed that I could get it to fit so well – better than store bought for a strapless dress!!

6. Simple Simon & Co says:

WOW, Stef…you look fabulous!
    ~e

7. Simple Simon & Co says:

WOW, Stef…you look fabulous!
    ~e

8. Simple Simon & Co says:

WOW, Stef…you look fabulous!
    ~e

9. Erin Biggers says:

Absolutely beautiful. If I saw that in the store I would definitely buy it. :)

10. This is beautiful! Love it!

11. You’re so pretty Stef! I loved hearing your fitting process, very inspiring.

12. It’s beautiful and it fits you perfectly! Great job!

13. Suzanne Winter says:

I am in love with this dress – I can’t pull off strapless (I am super broad shouldered with almost no bust), but the rest of it is something I think would flatter my shape too, I’ll need to look into that pattern! Awesome job with the lace, it is stunning!

• Suzanne – I have no bust, but when you’re sewing your own dress, you can compensate for that (in theory), but the pattern has a version that’s sleeveless and also with sleeves. Try it!

14. Kristie Clower says:

You are so adorable. I love the dress. I think it looks totally professional. I’d love to see you make more adult clothes in the future. I think you’d look great in either of these.
    XO

• Thanks, Kristie! Those are cute patterns, too! I’m going to have to pick something to sew next pretty quickly because it takes me a while to work up the nerve to cut the fabric!

15. Pretty dress! The fit is great and finish looks really professional. I always feel so dorky posing for the timer!

16. Diana Miller says:

You are so cute. :) And talented. Such a great job on that dress. And I love how the blog is looking too! XO

17. Gwen's Busy Little Hands says:

You look fantastic in that dress. Way to go! Fit is so important and it looks like you are doing a great job of adjusting the fit. I’m still struggling with that myself. Enjoy both of your dresses. Looking forward to seeing more of your projects that are for YOU.

SMiLES!

18. You’re adorable! Good job with sewing for yourself and taking pics of yourself!

19. I love the lace! And you managed to get this dress fitting you really well, good job. =)

20. Wow! Beautiful!!

21. Jess @ Spool and Spoon says:

Gorgeous! Perfect fabric choice :)

22. crafterhours says:

Gorgeous dress and model! The fit is amazing. Your work was worth it! And now you have a simple dress that is guaranteed to fit so you can customize like crazy :)

23. Jayma Malme says:

It turned out so super cute!!

24. Oh it’s simply gorgeous! Such a lovely job :) And your hair is adorable!

xo
    summer

25. Truly Myrtle says:

It’s so pretty! I love lace in the sunshine – and you’ve done really well with your photos – it is so hard with a self timer!!

26. You guys are just killing me with your sweet comments!! I almost almost didn’t hit publish on this post, but I’m so glad I did! Thank you!!!!

27. totally impressive Stef! I’m really motivated to sew myself a killer dress this year. We’ll see :)

28. You look smoking! Great job. I too liked hearing your fitting notes. I am short too so they were perfect tips for me. You’ve definitely inspired me!

29. Justine of SewCountryChick says:

Hi Stef. Great job! Did you know you can cut along the motifs of the lace on the bottom of the dress so you don’t have to hem it? It’s a great technique for lace and looks pretty.

30. Laura @ ON{thelaundry}LINE says:

I love the finished dress! And you are so gorgeous, you’re rocking it.

1. [...] working from my stash and couldn’t help but use some of this gorgeous lace leftover from the lace dress I made for myself back in [...]