A Cute? Jacket

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve stared at my fabric, wanting to try out making something for myself, but completely lacking inspiration and confidence.  I tried to make a skirt last summer, which turned out way too sloppy and I never wore it.  I made a little tube, maxi sundress for Addie’s mermaid party, but I don’t think a tube counts as “sewing for myself.”  I’ve watched several of my seamstress/blogging friends tackle adult sewing with incredible success; Kristin, Jessica, and Jen have totally inspired me to jump in, but still, I’m terrified.  On Thursday afternoon, I decided to just go for it.  I had this interesting heavy, stretch cotton? fabric that I picked up at Joann’s a while back.  I have no idea what it is, but I loved the print, the colors, and the price – on sale for $2 a yard.  I’m so scared of wasting fabric and time on a pattern that doesn’t turn out, so I thought a jacket might be more flexible in giving an acceptable result.  I chose the “Parisian Jacket” from the book, Sew Serendipity by Kay Whitt.  I completed the entire jacket in less than a day.  My approximate cost for this project was $5 for fabric and $8 for buttons, bringing my total to $13.  That’s the kind of price tag that I can live with if I never wear the jacket.  The pattern was totally easy to sew, clear instructions, everything fit together like it was supposed to.
The only time consuming part was all of the topstitching, but that’s what makes it look good, right?
Overall, I’m pretty happy with the finished product and I LOVE that I finally made something for myself that I might wear in public.  Even though I made the jacket in an XS, I still think it turned out a bit bulky – but you know I wasn’t going to make a muslin and then make the whole thing again “for real.”  If the top half of the bodice was tapered in a little more, I think it would be more flattering for my figure, but really, not too shabby.
So….I could really, really use your feedback on this one.  What do you think?  Is it a keeper?  Is it a home-use-only kind of jacket?  At this point in my adult-sewing career, my biggest fear is that my garment looks “homemade.”
I’d appreciate your honesty here, you know, so we can move forward in the right direction!  And speaking of moving forward, what do you like to sew for yourself?  Any good patterns or resources to share?

Comments

1. I think it looks great! It does not look homemade at all!

2. I think it is very cute, not homemade looking at all.

Since you asked for feedback, I do think the arms (armpits) look a little full, but not so bad you shouldn’t wear the jacket in public.

3. Jessica at Me Sew Crazy says:

I absolutely love it Stef! I think the fabric you chose is perfect, and love the way it looks on you!!! I agree, it could be made a bit smaller for a more fitted look – but overall its a keeper! you look great!

4. Doesn’t look homemade at all! Can you make me one? I love it and am in no way the talented sewer that you are!

5. sweeter than cupcakes says:

It turned out great! I’ve been tempted by the same pattern, but all of your fears mimic my own. It is so much easier to fit little girls! I’m also not interested in making a muslin first. There is only so much time in the day! Great job on yours!

6. Isaac, Rachel, Sam, Caleb, and Grace Wofford says:

The best way to find out if you should wear it in public is to do it, and see how many compliments you get! I think you’ll get a lot! Beautiful fabric and neat details!

7. Sweetbug Studio says:

I think the fabric and coat look very stylish, trendy, and not homemade. I would call this your first “success” from what you have described. My fear would also be the “homemade” look. That is why kids items and stuff for the home is an easy decision. Great job on being brave enough to give it another go. Also, it helps when your a cute mom and can pull it off!

8. Melissa (Melly Sews) says:

You look awesome, girl! Although I do agree that the arm area needs a little finesse.

9. I think it looks great! I made a (way more simple than this) skirt for myself and felt the same way. Once I just bit the bullet and wore it in public once, the comments people made helped me feel loads better about it. Wear it with confidence, girl, it looks wonderful (:

10. Looks great!! I love it!

11. Laura @ ON{thelaundry}LINE says:

I really like it, especially your choice of fabric/buttons. I agree it might be more flattering to your figure if you took it in a bit,and also agree that the arm is a little bulky but that doesn’t make it look homemade, that happens with store bought stuff for me all the time.

12. You guys are the best! Thank you so much for all of your kind words and great feedback. I have no idea how to tailor the arms….I guess that’s part of the intimidation with sewing for myself – I don’t know how the parts work!

13. samanthasmom says:

This is your “wearable” muslin. Instead of using muslin to make a sample garment to check for fit, I purchase a cheap fabric I like, and make the garment out of it. You said you paid $2 a yard for the fabric, which is about what muslin costs. If the finished garment is “close enough”, and I like it, I wear it, but I critique the look and fit, and then go ahead and buy a nicer fabric and make “the real thing” using what I learned from the dry run. If I hate it, I throw it in the used clothing bin. What I hate, someone else might love. This jacket looks great on you, but now you know if you want to make another one, the changes to the fit you’d like to make. But instead of an ugly muslin jacket that there’s no way you’d ever wear it, you have an acceptably nice one.

14. Yes! Cute! Not homemade-looking! And I’m ridiculously happy that you’ve jumped in and started sewing for you. It is so hard when you feel like you can execute exactly what you envision with kid clothes, but clothes for us are a whole different beast. I find fabric choice the hardest – much harder to pull off a print when it’s a couple yards worth versus a little skirt or sundress, you know? ANYWAY, I agree about the arm issue, but I say now that you’ve got a cute jacket made, try a skirt or dress! I need to retry the Colette Ginger, I made it in completely the wrong fabric before and it was too short on me too. Always learning. Can’t believe you cited me as an adult sewing inspiration, frankly – I feel like a total newbie there! ;)

15. Yes! Very cute! I love it for fall, it goes so nicely with your chocolate hair. I am so proud of you for tackling something for yourself. I wonder what the difference is between children’s and adult clothes and why you were nervous to start. Is it because adult clothes have more curves, and are less forgiving? Now that you have started and were successful, I think you’ll be able to master your own clothes like everything else that you set out to learn.

I was thinking of you this weekend as I made a crib skirt. I was frustrated and thought of you needing to sew or craft for sanity and then thinking that this sewing was making me insane, as I was trying to adjust the settings on my machine. And then I just kept telling myself that you had to start somewhere and had a learning curve too! :) So you inspired me this weekend, and I’m glad we both tried something a little out of our comfort zone!

16. Kristie Clower says:

It turned out great! I think it looks very cute on you. True it could be a bit more tailored but I would wear it in public if I were you. It’s way too cute to not show off. I love that you got the fabric for $2. I always browse through Joann’s red tag fabric. I never sew for myself, my shape is not at cute as yours and I still sport some maternity clothes from time to time even though my boy is 8 months old already. I’d love to see anything else you make for yourself.

17. Falafel and the Bee says:

It looks great on you!
    I love those buttons.
    You can always make another more tailored jacket as well!
    ~Michelle

18. Hmmmm..I LOVE the fabric. Its much better than what I could do for an adult. I think the one issue I have is the gathering/empire waist. Looks almost maternity. I think if you maybe did the front panel all one piece and not 2 pieces and maybe take some room out of the torso it would be great. Jackets are supposed to be VERY hard to fit. I think for your first try..you did and AWESOME job. I love the proportion of the sleeves…I think that length is very flattering for shorties like us!

19. I don’t think it looks ‘homemade’ at all… It’s very cute! The cut isn’t my style, I’d want it nipped in quite a bit more, but I’ve seen plenty of people wearing jackets in this style with similar fabrics. So you can definitely wear this in public. I bet you’ll get a lot of compliments too! =)

20. Family Times says:

Super CUTE!

21. I think it looks lovely! and definitely does not look “home-made” – I’m always worried about that too :) The only recommendation I would make: I think the sleeves look a little bit big under the arm (extra folds of fabric – could be just the angle of the camera too. I think if the sleeves were a little more fitted, perhaps you wouldn’t feel like it was bulky?!
    My most important piece of advice: 1. wear it proudly, everywhere! 2. Keep sewing for yourself!

22. Fantastic job on the sewing, which doesn’t look homemade at all. It is difficult to tell from blog pics sometimes, but it looks a little short. If it was lenghtened a bit it wouldn’t look as boxy. It looks comfy and I think you should wear it.

23. Vanessa@Designs By Sessa says:

Stef! It’s awesome! I love it! I’ve been looking for a fun jacket pattern that’s not too heavy! Maybe I will try this sometime! I know sewing for yourself is a little scary, but I just love it and I can totally relate to that fear of looking “home-made”. It’s actually driven me to branch out in my wardrobe! Very fun!

24. Hi this is my first visit to your blog,love the wonderful dresses you have sewn..I searched for Parisian jackets and found yours.. Your jacket looks good But yes I feel the armholes (or sleeves as such) aren’t that good.But the way you have sewn doesn’t give a feel of handmade fabric is also too good. I am making one,from the same book.. And could you help me with your tips ? I made the muslin.. the armhole is too baggy how to rectify it any ideas are welcome..-Diya:)I blog hereTheHobbyHarbor

25. wow! that is definitely not an at home jacket. it looks great. I have the same book and have been afraid to sew for myself. but I may just take that plunge. thanks for sharing.