toadstool cupcakes

Do you love them?  Do you love toadstools?  You might think I’m crAzY, but I have quite a few toadstool to-dos on my project list.  I saw Martha Stewart do these meringue toadstools on a jelly roll log cake many years ago and I have been wanting to try them ever since.  Graham just celebrated his birthday and, being the only one around here who doesn’t want pink and sparkly, I was excited to surprise him with these earthy little cupcakes!
I’ll show you how to do them in another post so that we can split up the pictures a little bit.  They were just too fun to narrow down the pictures any further.  Hope you don’t mind!
They’re not just charming to look at either.  They were delicious!  Chocolate chip cupcakes with salted caramel filling, and that yummy marshmallow buttercream.  I used a boxed mix for the cupcakes, but it still took me a good 4-5 hours to make the caramel filling, buttercream, and the meringue toadstools.  Well worth it – cause that’s what we like to do with our afternoons around here!
By the way, what’s the difference between a “toadstool” and a “mushroom”?  Is it just that “toadstool” sounds way cuter?   I’m curious.
Sharing at Tatertots and Jello.

Comments

1. Sooo adorable and delicious looking. I love your “masculine” projects like the shark/ocean cupcakes and these. Salted caramel…mmm. How perfect that you found a fungus-y log to set them on! Great project Stef! xo Happy Birthday to Graham!

2. Everything you do is so adorable and gorgeous….not to mention delicious! Those cupcakes are amazing!!

~Julia

3. A Cozy Cottage in the City says:

I love it! I have boys, so it’s nice to see “boy crafts” on here. ;)

Cheers,
    Jessie

4. Catherine says:

Oh my those are soooo cute! Well done!

5. Kristie-Creating Chaos says:

Adorable! Graham is so lucky. I only make cupcakes for the girls’ birthdays. You’re encouraging me to be more sweet to my hubby on his bday.

6. They turned out wonderful! My girl friend made that Martha yule log two years ago and I will always remember those meringue toadstools – yes I love toadstools!

7. Anonymous says:

Sophie would LOVE these..she LOVES to eat mushrooms..weird kid!!

8. I love these! So Cute! I can’t wait to see how you made them. :0)

9. Very very cute! Love all things woodsy!

Judy@cutest-little-things.blogspot.com

10. Looks so good! YUM!

1 Year Old Birthday Party Ideas

11. Patty@ Time to Boom says:

Hi Stef, What a cute project and very creative. I made one of your shirred dresses and posted it on my blog today. I provided a link back to your post…I wanted to be sure and give credit where credit is due. I sent you an email, too but can’t tell if it was delivered. Have a wonderful week. Patty

12. Those are so cute!!!!!!

13. sugarswings says:

oh wow these look great, love the mushrooms!!!

14. how cute I hope you find time to see what I shared at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

15. How fun and adorable. I would love for you to link up and share these toadstools on my mommy solution meme.

16. Sooo sooo sooo adorable!

17. Kristine @ JandMs Eye Candy says:

BEAUTIFUL and so creative!!

We host a linky party “Help a Momma Out Tuesdays” Would love it if you linked up! Thanks for sharing!!

Kristine

18. Karen @ Goodbyecityhellosuburb says:

Real mushroom? Awesome! I’d love it of you’d share this with WorkShop Wednesday. It woud make a great addition to the party!

19. Anonymous says:

Nice, but where are the instructions?

20. Your toadstools are amazing.